Has anyone here? (1 Viewer)

Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
Made up an EV lead to top up batteries etc,is there any reason or rule not to?
The plugs are about£30 and probably some 4mm flex, 10 mtrs. I like carrying spare things and this is a “just in case”thing.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Do you mean make you own hook up lead? In which case yes, but shouldn’t cost £30 for connectors

If not what do you mean by EV lead, EV is commonly used as short for electric vehicle

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
No for the MoHo if I’m caught short on power.
I think it sounds well dodgy. Is it the right voltage and power rating also what's going to be the reaction of anyone wanting to use the EV point. The rate of charge for an EV is several KW.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Do you mean make you own hook up lead? In which case yes, but shouldn’t cost £30 for connectors

If not what do you mean by EV lead, EV is commonly used as short for electric vehicle
I think the op is thinking of changing his MH at an EV charging point at least that's the impression

Oct 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
[Has anyone here] made up an EV lead to top up batteries etc,is there any reason or rule not to?
Sounds to me that it will have to be a lot more than just a lead.

What are the voltages involved?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The plugs are about£30 and probably some 4mm flex, 10 mtrs. I like carrying spare things and this is a “just in case”thing.

If opinions are right that you are wondering about using an EV charging point to top up your MH batteries , I would think starting your engine and using the alternator charge would be far more effective , in fact driving to the charging point will probably have solved any problem 👍

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
It's not quite as simple as just making up a cable if it is a Type 2 you are thinking of. There is usually communication between the vehicle and the charging point, but this can be quite simple. Wikipedia gives a brief outline. There are Standards {BS EN 50620:} but these cost money!

I'd certainly not recommend it!

Cheers

May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
As others have said, there is 'communication' required to negotiate the correct voltage and charging rate, as there are various different standards and connectors. It's not usually just a case of having the right plug on the end of the cable.

However - there is a product out there which already solves for this - from what I can see it doesn't work for all charging points, but will work on many - https://www.brucelauderdale.com/juicybrucie

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
If the EV supports Vehicle to load you can buy an adaptor that gives a 240v output fron the car that has a 13 amp socket on the end. So you could plug an EHU into that and charge the van.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As others have said, there is 'communication' required to negotiate the correct voltage and charging rate, as there are various different standards and connectors. It's not usually just a case of having the right plug on the end of the cable.

However - there is a product out there which already solves for this - from what I can see it doesn't work for all charging points, but will work on many - https://www.brucelauderdale.com/juicybrucie
Bargain!

OP
OP
mark49
Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
I’ve counted up and I think that’s close but it’s a NO then🤣
The reason I was thinking it,was actually to repower an Ecoflow power pack in the winter months.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Yes it's quite possible. I use a Type2 cable from a Type2 EV charger point. I made my own inlet point on the side of the MH, next to the existing EHU inlet, and a manual changeover switch. But as @JimmyE says, you can buy a cable with a Type2 on one end, and a round blue plug on the other end, which goes straight into the standard MH main inlet.

There are a few different types of EV charger. Some, like Tesla, CCS and CHAdeMO, are high voltage DC, and are entirely unsuitable. However the Type2 is standard mains voltage.

Type2 has 7 pins. 5 are mains power: Live1, Live2, Live3, Neutral and Earth. Two are small data pins for communication. You can choose to use Live1, Neutral and Earth, which will give you exactly the same voltage as a campsite hookup post.

There needs to be some communication between the vehicle and the EV charger post, so a bit of electronics is required, which can be built into a small box in the cable somewhere. It ensures that the EV charger doesn't switch on until the vehicle is properly connected, the cable is thick enough, and the vehicle is ready to take the charge. It also tells the EV charger how much power the vehicle can take, and tells the vehicle how much power is available from the charger.

A Type2 EV charger can supply 7kW on each phase, which is about 32A. Its maximum power is 22kW, when used in 3-phase mode. In Single Phase mode it can supply up to 32A, so it is easily capable of supplying the 16A that a standard campsite hookup provides.

I have a powerful charger, equivalent to a 140A 12V charger, which is about 1700W, and that is easily within the capabilities of any EV charge point. Most chargers are 70A or less. A bigger charger reduces the time you are connected to the EV charge point.

Actually, while I am waiting, I often boil a kettle and cook stuff in the microwave, it still doesn't much exercise the EV charge point.

Most times mine is the only vehicle at the set of EV chargers, but I avoid obviously busy times, like Friday afternoon at Watford Gap. The cost can vary, up to 70p per kWh, but often is lower. For comparison, 100Ah is 1.2kWh.

Last edited:

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I remember seeing this last year

and then seen this while I was looking for the other

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I’ve counted up and I think that’s close but it’s a NO then🤣
The reason I was thinking it,was actually to repower an Ecoflow power pack in the winter months.
The winter months are certainly the firework season!! Your's will be the biggest. :oops: :ROFLMAO:
Mike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back