Handbrake too close to "door" trim. (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
I have a RHD Fiat Ducato based MH (Fleurette Wincenser), 2020 model, and my handbrake is so close to the side trim that it genuinely hurts my knuckles to use it.

I'll get a picture of it tomorrow, but is this something anyone else has suffered from? Can't find any mention of it here, so I'm guessing I might have something wrong with mine. I only know one other person with this MH (daveclare ) and he says his is fine.

The problem is there's a curved bit of trim designed, I imagine, to give a human hand space to operate the brake, but it's so tight you'd have to be a "certain ex-president" to get your hands in there comfortably.

("door" is in quotes because there is no actual door there, but in any other type of vehicle there probably would have been).

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
I have seen the hand brake lever be bent by it being caught in clothing as you exit the door and drop down to the ground.
Obviously you don’t have the exit door but that’s not to say it wasn’t bent before the body was fitted.
They can be straightened with a large adjustable spanner and plenty of grunting! Just don’t ask how I know!

Upvote 1
OP
OP
daventess
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
It's hard to explain without a picture (which thanks to a nasty gout flare up I won't be able to get today afterall), but nothing seems bent or broken, it just seems like it's been designed badly. The trim looks like it was moulded that way, and the handbrake seems straight to my untrained eye and as close to the seat as it can get. I may have to see of I can get that trim off or replace it with something else...

I didn't know quite how much DIY I was signing up for when I bought my MH ... :)

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I presume you have a manual gearbox? If it’s an auto just stick it in park and ignore handbrake 👍 if it’s manual , hope you find a simple fix

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
daventess
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
Is the problem due to it being RHD whereas the drivers door on a LHD would give plenty of room.

I think that is the root of the problem. I just would have thought that they would have tried to solve it a little better.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
daventess
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
I presume you have a manual gearbox? If it’s an auto just stick it in park and ignore handbrake 👍 if it’s manual , hope you find a simple fix

Yeah, manual. My original must-have was an auto box. But then heart overruled head .. :)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think that is the root of the problem. I just would have thought that they would have tried to solve it a little better.
Could you make a cutout in the panel and make a recessed panel. Fairly easy if your internal walls are wallboard a bit more difficult if they are aluminium.

What I'm thinking is cut cut a section of wallboard reduce the foam behind it by 10 or 15mm, replace the board then fit a right angle trim around it.

Other solution is swap it for a LHD much more sensible with an A Class. :rofl:

Upvote 0
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
Have you thought about a handbrake extender? Might give you clearance and a bit of movement either side….
I was just about to post the same thing, always just too late! I know these are designed to let the seats swivel without hitting the handbrake which is common on a lot of coach builts but this could be the solution for you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
daventess
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
I shall look into the extender. Once I get over my gout I will take a proper look at it. So far I've only had a "moany look", which was just enough to half see what's happening and then feel justified to moan about it :)

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I have seen the hand brake lever be bent by it being caught in clothing as you exit the door and drop down to the ground.
Obviously you don’t have the exit door but that’s not to say it wasn’t bent before the body was fitted.
They can be straightened with a large adjustable spanner and plenty of grunting! Just don’t ask how I know!

I ripped my shorts when they snagged on the handbrake lever as I was exiting the driver's door. Very amusing for the audience.

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi there. We too have this problem. The hard rough plastic trim is the inside of the gas cupboard. We went to ‘TheRange’ hardware shop and got a bit of thin foam sheet. - about 90p, and stuck it on the trim so now, although it is a squash, it doesn’t hurt. I am sure a heat gun could be used to warm the plastic and then mould it round the gas bottles so creating a space for the drivers hand. Perhaps a job for another day.
What this shows me is that the handbrake is never applied in the factory- or the workers would complain.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2013
Leics.
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp
Since 2000
Obviously someone thought it would be a 'pain' operating the handbrake on ours, so they removed the handbrake, fit a parking button on the dash and the electronics for it beneath the driver's seat.
A more expensive option, but so easy to use.

IMG_20230405_160819.jpg IMG_20230405_160924.jpg

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I really don't understand why anyone would buy a RHD drive A Class just doesn't make sense to me.

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
My RHD Ducato handbrake caught on something that I suspect was the leg of a mechanic & got levered sideways to produce the problem referred to in the original question.
So I got the garage to bend it back.
Simples!!
(It's just mounted on a little L shaped bracket not a lump of solid kryptonite.)

Upvote 0
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Just as you say caught on my clothing , and straightened it like you said , what a stupid design

Upvote 1

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back