Grantduca 67: Advice needed (1 Viewer)

Peter Elliot

Free Member
Mar 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
Hi all! I am Peter and I am looking for a motorhome to take my family of 5 (children 5,9 and 10) on 2-4 weeks trips in Europe. I am planning to buy a Grantduca 67 year 2000 based on Ducato 2.8 i.TD . There is no much information on this model / year on internet and I was wondering if anyone can share their view?
Thanks, P

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The base vehicle being a fiat is pretty standard so you should find lots of info online for that. The jtd turbo is more popular.
Inside the caravan section most parts are standard caravan / motorhome items you find in most vans of that era. Ex fridge, toilet etc.
The brand is not one you see in UK now but have seen lots of them about over the years. Doubt you will find any specific manuals or book just for that model.
Good luck with it. Remember weight !!! If your planning to take a family you can easily be overloaded and hence illegal. So you need a van with good payload.

OP
OP
P

Peter Elliot

Free Member
Mar 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
thanks for the advice Tonka! The JTD does not seem to come on models pre 2002 or at least I can find it. But these old i.TD engines seem to have good reviews. 93Kw seem OK but guess I will know when I get everyone on board :)
Yes, the brand is not very popular, the one I have my eyes on is actually imported from Italy.
You are right about the manuals, I can't find anything online :( Hopefully, the chap I am buying it from has kept some of the papers.
Thanks for the heads up on the load! I can't seem to find the payload data on internet, I assume it's on the chassis plate as pointed out in the "Motorhome Buying Guide".
I have just asked the seller whether he has done a habitation check and he said that he has never heard of this before! I thought it's something that is commonly done every year?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi all! I am Peter and I am looking for a motorhome to take my family of 5 (children 5,9 and 10) on 2-4 weeks trips in Europe. I am planning to buy a Grantduca 67 year 2000 based on Ducato 2.8 i.TD . There is no much information on this model / year on internet and I was wondering if anyone can share their view?
Thanks, P
Hi and hellowelcome

Your first "need to know" is the weight of the vehicle and if you have the correct C1 class on your licence if it's above 3500Kg mgw.
With a family of 5 you will almost certainly need a motorhome in excess of 3500Kg.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
5 children with one or two adults, does the van have enough belted seats?
Very common for a 6 berth Motorhome to only have 4 belted travel seats and virtually impossible to retro fit.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Granduca are from the Roller Team / Caravan International stable, it's not uncommon for them to suffer from serious damp issues.
I would arrange a professional habitation check, as any issues could be expensive and time consuming to repair (potentially write-off stuff if you don't have time and skill to repair yourself)
Don't trust the seller, the vehicle could be a lemon (I've seen more than I can count), be meticulous and don't be swayed by the low selling price ;)
Hope it works out for you...

OP
OP
P

Peter Elliot

Free Member
Mar 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
Granduca are from the Roller Team / Caravan International stable, it's not uncommon for them to suffer from serious damp issues.
I would arrange a professional habitation check, as any issues could be expensive and time consuming to repair (potentially write-off stuff if you don't have time and skill to repair yourself)
Don't trust the seller, the vehicle could be a lemon (I've seen more than I can count), be meticulous and don't be swayed by the low selling price ;)
Hope it works out for you...

Thanks kaasbroodje! Can you recommend a habitation check service near Manchester?

OP
OP
P

Peter Elliot

Free Member
Mar 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
Hi and hellowelcome

Your first "need to know" is the weight of the vehicle and if you have the correct C1 class on your licence if it's above 3500Kg mgw.
With a family of 5 you will almost certainly need a motorhome in excess of 3500Kg.

Thanks! It's 3500. I hired similar size last year and it was ok. I have C class driving license too :)

OP
OP
P

Peter Elliot

Free Member
Mar 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
:welco:
5 children with one or two adults, does the van have enough belted seats?
Very common for a 6 berth Motorhome to only have 4 belted travel seats and virtually impossible to retro fit.

Thanks for the heads up! It has 6 belted seats so I have this one covered

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks! It's 3500. I hired similar size last year and it was ok. I have C class driving license too :)
I can't see a 3500kg van having anything like enough payload for 5. You are going to need around 1000kg payload.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back