Google Maps Routing Glitches (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Has anyone found Google maps to be giving stupid routes lately, yesterday Julie was going to a garden centre between stoke and leek so just got Google up to show her where it was.
There is an almost straight route which it has been on thousands of times, but yesterday for some unknown reason it wanted me to go into uttoxeter and back up the a50 , no road holdups or anything, a good 5 miles over going straight.
Couldn't get it to go any other way which it did before.
Here we go maps just went the normal way.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is a simple one for it just to Cheadle, look where it wants me to go.

Screenshot_20240816-110402.png

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
We found updates on traffic are to slow in certain areas, and the route is calculated based on life traffic. Sometimes takes ages to update the traffic status, and taking you around a spot for no reason. Surprisingly apple map it’s better on certain times, but not always, so we compare the two, and decide based on both results.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
My Google maps keeps freezing when navigation finished with the smiley faces at the bottom, also sometimes the keyboard doesn't pop up when I need to type something. Force closing it fixes it until next time, been doing it weeks now, I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Apple Maps seems to be working and updating very well for us. Yesterday we had to drop two of the grandchildren back to Frome before heading onwards to Warwick. Our usual routing would take us to Taunton and then across to the A303 but we were informed that going via Bridgewater and through Glastonbury and Shepton Mallet would be quicker! Okay, that’s the way we went and lo and behold the traffic announcements highlighted total gridlock around Ilminster due to the A303 being closed, minimum 1 hour delay and more, and no sign of when it would abate. It also flagged up a temporary speed check on the M5 well before I spotted the camera van on the bridge ahead.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Why would you use a SatNav or Google maps if you know where you're going :unsure:?
I wasn't looking for the route, just where the actual place was and it came up with the whole route and that's when I saw where it wanted to go.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I wasn't looking for the route, just where the actual place was and it came up with the whole route and that's when I saw where it wanted to go.
And more than that it has always gone the right way before.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Why would you use a SatNav or Google maps if you know where you're going :unsure:?
Very often before I head on M25 I always pull the google map and run the route, even if I know my way with the eyes shut, and every pot hole in the way. Well worth it, as well as when I head into London. There are times, when a little detour is faster due to traffic.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Isn't anyone going to jump on me for this thread. Seeing that I have always bulled up Google maps I thought you would all be saying, I told you so.
But to be fair to everyone I am really done with this, if it does this 5 miles from home you have to wonder what it's going to do somewhere you don't know.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Isn't anyone going to jump on me for this thread. Seeing that I have always bulled up Google maps I thought you would all be saying, I told you so.
But to be fair to everyone I am really done with this, if it does this 5 miles from home you have to wonder what it's going to do somewhere you don't know.
Us Garmin guys just know we've got the best and let the others try to convince us otherwise! :whistle2: :giggler: :rofl::moon2::clap2:
We never lower ourselves in a debate!(smileys as above+ :tounge:)

Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
After being a 100% in favour, I'm afraid Google maps has lost its way recently (pun intended) :cry:

It was probably sending you via one of its advertisers (who seem to be getting more & more attention to the detriment of useful information) :mad:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I use Google Maps often before going to the local supermarket because the quickest route take me down the A38 for a couple of miles. Sometimes there is a bad accident on this road and it can be closed for hours. I like to know if my journey is going to take 10 minutes or several hours! :)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I use Google Maps often before going to the local supermarket because the quickest route take me down the A38 for a couple of miles. Sometimes there is a bad accident on this road and it can be closed for hours. I like to know if my journey is going to take 10 minutes or several hours! :)
I’m with you, I check my route from home in Sherborne to the Nuffield gym in Yeovil every morning due to frequent accidents on the A30 dual carriageway (it’s only 2 miles) and the endless and varied roadworks in Yeovil. I want to know if I need to go on the scenic route.

Now I need a lesson on how I can still use google maps in the new van without blasted carplay taking over. I have turned off Siri and Bluetooth and there’s no physical cable but still as soon as I set start on my phone the 1/2 map pops up on the monitor. The best I’ve managed to keep on my phone is that useless written list of directions!! Going mad here. We want to have Google maps running on phone as well as this fancy pants new satnav. That doesn’t seem to be an option. Anyone know how to turn Carplay off?

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Right you can see where Google maps wants me to go above, now this is the usual road on here we go maps.
Google actually wants me to go on narrower roads to get here , just what is going on.22 mins on Google 14 mins onherewego.

PXL_20240817_081305544.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I mainly use Google maps just to check for traffic.
Wasn't that impressed with the satnav in the new van (Fiat 10" Uconnect) so a few weeks ago I put Google up on the screen. Took us off a main road near Bath across a narrow toll bridge cost me a whole pound! Had me crapping myself for miles down tiny country lanes through little villages to arrive at destination which was 50yds off the A36. Won't be using it again.

Got loads of mapping programs on my phone can't get them to work on Android Auto but not really tried very hard.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Wasn't that impressed with the satnav in the new van (Fiat 10" Uconnect) so a few weeks ago I put Google up on the screen. Took us off a main road near Bath across a narrow toll bridge cost me a whole pound! Had me crapping myself for miles down tiny country lanes through little villages to arrive at destination which was 50yds off the A36. Won't be using it again.

Got loads of mapping programs on my phone can't get them to work on Android Auto but not really tried very hard.
Yes but this has only just happened , I have used Google maps at least 10 years and it's never took me that way before, no matter what I do it insists on going that way, it's not just me I got my lad to try it on his phone and he gets exactly the same.
It doesn't fill you with confidence if it adds 30% on to a journey around here what's it going to do in Europe?

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can I ask folks if you will try a few local routes and see if yours has changed?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I find that Google will give an initial route based on an assumed direction of travel which corrects as soon as you are moving. It seems that because we arrived home heading east the next route starts in that direction taking the long route. As soon as we turn west out of our drive it picks up the sensible route. Possibly a bit of donkey programming by a dim American who thinks the world is based on city blocks where this lack of logic might seem a clever idea.

Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
Right you can see where Google maps wants me to go above, now this is the usual road on here we go maps.
Google actually wants me to go on narrower roads to get here , just what is going on.22 mins on Google 14 mins onherewego
No problems for my local trips...

Maybe they've been advised of a temporary closure on the little road/cut through?(correctly or not - maybe locals have had enough - or could there be building work/traffic lights going on? )

However, you can still force the route by adding an intermediate stop, so above suggestions seem unlikely...

Screenshot_2024-08-17-10-17-04-982-edit_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
They all have issues. Waze is good for alerts but has this need to route you through housing to save one minutes driving time. My fallback sits next to me with a good old paper map open.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is all very well when you know where you are, but what if it does it a couple of hundred miles away, must admit iv never seen it do something like this before.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
They all have issues. Waze is good for alerts but has this need to route you through housing to save one minutes driving time. My fallback sits next to me with a good old paper map open.
Yeah in fact that's what we do,can't get her to put it down ;) when she sees this thread there will be no stopping her.
And in fact on our last trip we used herewego maps and found it much better.

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
Can I ask folks if you will try a few local routes and see if yours has changed?
No issues with mine. Use it all the time locally (mostly to check traffic) in the car and long trips in car and van.
We get the odd stupid narrow route to save 1 minute but a quick look at the route overview soon identifies these.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

We’ve done that bridge in our previous PVC and it was bad enough on a busy day. Never again. It must have been dreadful in your new van. I’m glad we’re not the only ones who don’t like the fancy pants satnav in the new Fiat.

She doesn’t deserve to be called Jayne. All our satnav voices are Jayne after my favourite practice manager. I say she’s the only person who’s ever been allowed to tell me what to do other than my parents and Headmistress.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
This is all very well when you know where you are, but what if it does it a couple of hundred miles away, must admit iv never seen it do something like this before.
Which it does all the time in areas you’ve never been to, it’s shocking and the reason I’ve deleted it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back