Getting ready to buy first MH (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
I'm looking to buy our first MH, most likely in Q1 2025 and have been researching layouts and prices for a few months and believe I've narrowed it down to 3 models, one of which I;ve hired for a long weekend next month.

My questions are around pre-purchase inspections and how I go about arranging one. I've seen adverts for Hab-Check and what concerns me is they are a franchise, heavily advertising for new engineers 'with full training provided', so I feel it could be a bit hit and miss, especially as the check doesn't include anything mechanical.

I guess linked to this is whether to buy privately or through a dealer.

Ideally I'd prefer an independent engineer.

My second question is around prices. While I don't think there is an imminent price crash, its quite clear that not much is selling at the current asking prices and private sales if anything seem to be less realistic than dealers prices. As a cash buyer with no part ex to worry about, I consider myself fairly well placed, but it feels like sellers are content to sit it out at top end prices.

I'm sure there are quite a few potential buyers like myself who would buy at a realistic price - in my view about 10% lower than current figures, but are content to wait, especially with winter around the corner.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
It's all a bit personal with benefits from a dealer v financial savings off a private sale.

I recently advertised our motor on here for the same price I was getting on a PX which would have saved someone 9k and the whole history of the van documented on here.

It's well worth (Imv) keeping an eye open for sales on here in the classified section over Facebook or eBay sales as more peace of mind if you can see the experience of the owner and it's history.

You will also noted trusted dealers.

Your 3 vans of choice ? You may get some feedback

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
I'm looking to buy our first MH, most likely in Q1 2025 and have been researching layouts and prices for a few months and believe I've narrowed it down to 3 models, one of which I;ve hired for a long weekend next month.

My questions are around pre-purchase inspections and how I go about arranging one. I've seen adverts for Hab-Check and what concerns me is they are a franchise, heavily advertising for new engineers 'with full training provided', so I feel it could be a bit hit and miss, especially as the check doesn't include anything mechanical.

I guess linked to this is whether to buy privately or through a dealer.

Ideally I'd prefer an independent engineer.

My second question is around prices. While I don't think there is an imminent price crash, its quite clear that not much is selling at the current asking prices and private sales if anything seem to be less realistic than dealers prices. As a cash buyer with no part ex to worry about, I consider myself fairly well placed, but it feels like sellers are content to sit it out at top end prices.

I'm sure there are quite a few potential buyers like myself who would buy at a realistic price - in my view about 10% lower than current figures, but are content to wait, especially with winter around the corner.
So what 3 models are on your shortlist?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G
Jun 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Shortlist is used Burstner 744, new Bailey Adamo 75-4DL and new Roller Team t Line 700. Has to be automatic and ideally the 9 speed auto (except Bailey which will be Ford).

You'll note all have two drop down beds and end lounge as we are planning on living in it full time for between 12-24 months from 2026. The plan is to buy one early next year and spend some time getting used to it before going full time.

Also planning on upgrading to off grid capability, but want to live with it first.

We've seen the Burstner and Bailey, but not the Roller team yet. Also have a Bailey hired for a long weekend in October and will be first experience of a motorhome, well apart from trailing round hundreds at dealerships!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Shortlist is used Burstner 744, new Bailey Adamo 75-4DL and new Roller Team t Line 700. Has to be automatic and ideally the 9 speed auto (except Bailey which will be Ford).

You'll note all have two drop down beds and end lounge as we are planning on living in it full time for between 12-24 months from 2026. The plan is to buy one early next year and spend some time getting used to it before going full time.

Also planning on upgrading to off grid capability, but want to live with it first.

We've seen the Burstner and Bailey, but not the Roller team yet. Also have a Bailey hired for a long weekend in October and will be first experience of a motorhome, well apart from trailing round hundreds at dealerships!
I will not be the first or last one coming up with this advise but certainly if you are thinking of living in it full time for a while, step away from the likes of Bailey and swift, buy something which is screwed together properly and has a double floor throughout., wishing you good luck in making your choice👍

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If you plan staying in it full time make sure the drop down bed does encroach on the living area, as I’m sure you don’t both go to bed or get up the same time every day. Also think about night time toilet access as normally with drop down you’ll need to climb over one of you or crawl under the bed.
If I was full timing I’d want a fixed bed of some sort, the rear lounge areas aren’t as comfortable as you thing, plus with fixed bed you might gain a garage which will be handy as you’ll have a good amount of stuff.
Also check the payload, I know Bailey in the past were very limited.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G
Jun 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
On paper, the Bailey ticks most boxes, but the build quality, especially for full time living is a concern, as is the ford engine, but people who have them seem to like them.

I'm not too concerned about payload as I have C1, and I'm leaning towards a 2-3 year old Burstner, although will want to hire one first as its a very expensive mistake if I have to change it soon after buying!

Upvote 0

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
My son is a motorhome engineer and does hab checks.

He is under the‘ umbrella’ of MCEA who also do training. This means that there is a minimum standard for the engineers advertised on their website and that they have relevant insurance.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
On paper, the Bailey ticks most boxes, but the build quality, especially for full time living is a concern, as is the ford engine, but people who have them seem to like them.

I'm not too concerned about payload as I have C1, and I'm leaning towards a 2-3 year old Burstner, although will want to hire one first as its a very expensive mistake if I have to change it soon after buying!
Actually, I think you should be very concerned about the payload of the van you are buying, not the paper figures for what the payload is supposed to be for that model!

C1 allows you up to 7.5t, but bear in mind that just because the MH is plated just beyond 3.5t (eg 3.8 or even 4.0t), does not mean that it will automatically have enough payload, nor that the axle loads are not very close on the van in running order.

Get them to weigh the axles before buying would be my advice.

Upvote 0
Aug 16, 2024
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
dipping a toe
So i'm also in the market, but for me its a used PVC. I tentatively tested a dealer on one of the vans in my shortlist, got a measly 1.5 - 3.3% potential (he wouldn't commit to the 3.3!)discount off the internet published price. It might be the van I was looking at just sells quickly

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I'm not too concerned about payload as I have C1

You may have your C1 but certain vans won’t be able to up plate to give a reasonable payload, also with Bailey they used to be a bit wider so not great on small roads if still the same. I’m not having a go at Bailey as I had a caravan and loved the build quality just don’t like their mh’s, think they’re built like caravans

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G
Jun 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Sorry, just to clarify on the C1 - The Burster's I've been looking at are already either 3,850 or 4,250, so while I'll need to think very carefully about weight distribution and axle limits, I'm not going to be struggling to get close to 3,500 like so many people seem to be (often unsuccessfully!)

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
Sorry, just to clarify on the C1 - The Burster's I've been looking at are already either 3,850 or 4,250, so while I'll need to think very carefully about weight distribution and axle limits, I'm not going to be struggling to get close to 3,500 like so many people seem to be (often unsuccessfully!)
Glad to see you post that! I'm resting easy!

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Of that 3 there's only one answer

It begins with B and is definitely not Bailey

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2019
North East, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
ts quite clear that not much is selling at the current asking prices
I store my MH at the local dealers and they seem to be selling well all this year. I wander round the MH part and they dont seem to hang about for more than a week or two at most. I have noticed that the prices have come down a few £K in the last weeks, but as its September, its the start of the new season for 2025 so that may explain it.

Out of your 3 vans, Roller Team are more lower range, Burstner will be the top price but have a good reputation and Bailey - can be variable in quality. You did not say if you are buying new or used.

Upvote 0
Aug 3, 2024
Greater Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi. We are also in the market for our first Moho and aim to purchase in about a month, but if it was a bit longer for the perfect van then we would wait.

We have been to approx 10 dealers within 70 miles of home and noted stock levels of 2024 as well as used models on these sites.

About 99% of 2024 vehicles we have seen over a period of 10 weeks, remain on the forecourt - with new 2025 vans arriving 'soon'.

About 95% of used vehicles we have seen over the same period remain on site.

We have seen some new vehicle prices drop by 6k to 10k in the last 3 weeks but we didn't keep an eye on specific makes.......

So now when we find a Moho of a similar value that has the features and extras we are hoping for, I take a screenshot of it, and send it to myself on WhatsApp for future reference.

Prices have come down in the main - and this is in the 'used' market for a German van up-to about £60k. One van came down £5k for a week and then went back up again. Strange.

It's not going to be easy (IMO) for dealers selling so few vans with a long winter ahead, and a good number of vans coming onto the market from those who have got fed up of it being on the drive now they can jet off to warmer places for their holiday.
Not to mention the tough financial climate and even bleaker financial outlook globally.

We were also in a quandary about dealer Vs private sale, but have chosen to go with 'full service history' only - wether that be provided by a dealer (cos they don't all seem to have fsh) or a private seller.
Good luck in your search.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G
Jun 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Sounds like we are seeing things the same way!

I know prices have jumped massively over the couple of years due to supply/demand mismatch, but all indicators are saying there is a mismatch in pricing between buyers and sellers.

I'm looking at MH's where the asking price is close to the new price and while that was a thing a couple of years back, my view is that's not the case now.

It's tough for anyone if you've bought at the top of the market, and want to break even (or make a profit), but I've seen this is the used car market and there has been a correction, so logic says the same is happening with MH's.

For the right vehicle, at the right price, I'd buy now and leave it on my drive over the winter but the feeling I get is sellers are prepared to wait it out - case of who's going to blink first!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G
Jun 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
I store my MH at the local dealers and they seem to be selling well all this year. I wander round the MH part and they dont seem to hang about for more than a week or two at most. I have noticed that the prices have come down a few £K in the last weeks, but as its September, its the start of the new season for 2025 so that may explain it.

Out of your 3 vans, Roller Team are more lower range, Burstner will be the top price but have a good reputation and Bailey - can be variable in quality. You did not say if you are buying new or used.
For my budget, it would be a used Burstner and for the others, probably new.

My head is telling me to go with the Burstner and the ones I've looked at so far have been in as new condition, which is reassuring for a 2-3 year old vehicle.

Because we are planning to go full time, it needs to be something robust and without wishing to offend Bailey and Roller Team owners, I'm not sure how they would hold up.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back