LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
What are the Germans like for issuing us Brits with speeding fines ?

Unfortunately, twice yesterday I was a bit slow in dropping from form 70 to 50 on entering a couple of villages. A little distracted due to the lay of the road meant that I didn’t notice the speed cameras until the last moment.

So guilty as charged your honour 😳😳

OP
OP
BikerGraham

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Unfortunately I have found them to be rather good at tracking me down. Received 3 fines last year when in a hire car with work. Blimmin’ German efficiency for you. 😩
Thought that would be the case. On the positive no points on license. But the wallet will be a lighter.

How do you go about paying the fine ?

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
I got flashed 3x this last trip, twice in Germany and once in France. The German fines were waiting for us when we got home (in Spain) ... 38 in 30kph both times and €30 each. No sign of the French one yet .....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
That's interesting. I've been flashed at least twice in France since Brexxx, no fines, so I assumed that the French authorities did not have access to UK licence details. But Germany apparently does have.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
when in a hire car with work.
That is why you had to pay
That's interesting. I've been flashed at least twice in France since Brexxx, no fines, so I assumed that the French authorities did not have access to UK licence details. But Germany apparently does have.
They don't but spanish do.
twice yesterday I was a bit slow in dropping from form 70 to 50 on entering a couple of villages
My bro lived in Germany & that was first thing pointed out . camera at entry & exit of every village around him.I had to follow ,what I thought was his friends wife, driving to another area for about 30 minutes. At every village it was brake down to 50kph then run through village on the limit , at the exit camera floor it & flat out again. Turned out it wasnt the wife driving ,she was in passenger seat but the 17 year old daughter & who commented to my wife , who was with them , as to "why is Gus driving so slow" ?:laughing::doh:

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
I have been done in the past.
Like MR BLO it was in a hire car so easy to get details
I think the fine was 45 euro but it was a while ago
Touch wood not had any in the van.

Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
Like Garfields (two of the) fines were EUR45 plus EUR25 handling charge by the hire company. The other was EUR35. All dealt with on line via the hire company so not sure how it will work with private UK vehicle BikerGraham. Fingers crossed that the authorities only chase the larger fines so if you were only a few kph over you might get away with it. 🤞🏻

Feb 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
carado
Exp
I thought the cross border directive was an EU law & the DVLA were not giving out addresses? So should that apply to UK drivers or the car ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I thought the cross border directive was an EU law & the DVLA were not giving out addresses? So should that apply to UK drivers or the car ?
Correct.
(and Vice versa)

A number of articles in the press about shady companies "acquiring" the data and then taking a cut of any fines paid.

Here is one.
and here is another

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Aren't the French ones for lorries?

I.e. they flash because they think you are a lorry (with lower speed limits) but when they see the picture and you are, of course, a camping car, it gets binned?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back