Generic Android APN settings for Spain (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Hi,
I've got a Chinese knock off phone I've had for years and worked fine here in Spain with the
Telefonica/Movistar APN settings, I'm with Tesco o2 and the phone is an Android Timmy M50.
Got some virus on the phone and had to do a factory reset and of course I hadn't took note
of the Spanish (Europe I guess) APN settings. So it reverted back to UK settings.
I can make calls over wi-fi but no data roaming/mobile data.

I got the original (Spain) settings from the internet but now can't find the site and Tesco customer service (sic) are pretty much useless if they don't recognise the phone.

So it did work here, now it doesn't but with someone's help out there, it will again?

JK

OP
OP
Jackomet
Nov 10, 2008
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Yep, I understand that and that's the settings I used but I get "APN setting not allowed by the user"
As I said I've done this before and it worked OK, now not OK. I must be missing something this
time around?
JK

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Surely your mobile company is Tesco mobile?
I googled for those settings and they come right up.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I'm not sure, but I think APN settings only apply to 2G/GPRS connections, 3G/4G doesn't need it?

I've got a UK 1pmobile.com SIM that I'm using in Spain for my tracker. The tracker 2G only. I spent ages trying out the local mobile providers' APN settings and nothing worked. Then I put in the 1pmobile APN and it worked straight away.

OP
OP
Jackomet
Nov 10, 2008
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Yes that is correct and they do but the phone won't accept them, even when I edit/modify an existing setting and save it, it doesn't save, disappears off the APN list?
May try another factory reset as other than on the patchy wi-fi here at Roquetas, it's pretty useless
and the 6GB I get a month is kinda wasted. Trouble is I'm leaving for UK soon and the 600 mile trip
up to Bilbao without a phone is a little bit worrisome.
JK

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Yep, I understand that and that's the settings I used but I get "APN setting not allowed by the user"
As I said I've done this before and it worked OK, now not OK. I must be missing something this
time around?
JK

It would seem the reset has overridden some setting in the phone. You need to trawl through all the permissions to for the setting. An option could be to find an independent phone shop where they will know all the android settings

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You should use your standard Tesco apn settings and roaming should take care of it.

Worth a call to Tesco and ask them to turn on data roaming.
Put a Vodafone SIM in my WiFi worked fine in UK couldn't get it to work in Spain or France, tried all of Vodafone's setting. Contacted Vodafone they said OK we will assign it to your account will be working in 3 mins and it was.

OP
OP
Jackomet
Nov 10, 2008
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Talked to Tesco a few times and as it's a Chinese phone they say they don't support it, just send
the standard UK APN settings. It is weird though as it worked fine in the past. I'm going to try
a local Telefonica/Movistar shop and see if they can sort it, otherwise a very cheap local phone/SIM
with enough data to get me home. Any suggestions? Thanks all for the input.
JK

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I still think your best bet is the little local phone shop who are used fixing low cost phones. The big companies will probably only support models they have recently sold.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
A 10lb lump hammer usually works well. :gum:

I know, I'm sorry, that does not help at all. I'm off, toodly pip. :imoutahere:

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
The APN is the mobile network name of the gateway between the mobile network and the Internet and via versa. From the network point of view it’s most important job is to count the bytes you send/receive from the Internet and send that info to the billing system.
The APN will always be your home network APN.
Getting your data to/from it is a matter for the roaming agreement between your actual network and your home network.
It follows from the the original GSM idea that to use a phone anywhere in the world all a user has to do is “turn it on”.
Can’t you get Tesco to send you a system sms Text message to configure your phone for you?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back