Gaslow + Calor install ADVICE (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 9, 2023
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star
Hi

Ive managed to pick up a x1 Gaslow 6kg bottle + filler kit at a good price to fit on my Burstner T-Star.

The van looks like had the kit installed before at some point as it has 70mm hole on one side of the gas locker - now with an external vent fitted into the hole. I’m sure this is not an original thing as the vents are at the bottom in the floor (photo attached below)

So I’m thinking of fitting this myself and then getting it checked by a gas safety to make sure it’s all good.

From what I can see I’ve got everything I need apart from the hose that hues from the bottle to the original regulator.

As i currently have only one Gaslow cylinder (6kg) I wanting to keep one 6kg calor bottle in case a run out and need gas before being able to refill.

If prefer to have the 2x bottle connected via a dual changeover adopter/head. I definitely DONT like the automatic version as I’d want to know when/if im running out from the gaslow cylinder and using the calor.

So I’ve seen gaslow does a manual version?https://www.gaslowdirect.com/product/gaslow-w20-changeover-gauge-propane-standard-01-1630/

Can anyone explain how this works please as I don’t see any valve/cock that that will let me choose or set which cylinder inlet to use.

Also I see they do different version, butane & propane. With me again having 1x gaslow & 1x propane I’m I right in saying I’d need the below?

So what all I’d need will be:

1)

2)https://www.gaslowdirect.com/produc...-21-8lh-0-45-metre-regulator-hose-01-6010-ss/

Use my existing tailpipe from the calor bottle onto the gaslow changeover head.

Thanks in advance

IMG_7914.jpeg

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
Hi

Ive managed to pick up a x1 Gaslow 6kg bottle + filler kit at a good price to fit on my Burstner T-Star.

The van looks like had the kit installed before at some point as it has 70mm hole on one side of the gas locker - now with an external vent fitted into the hole. I’m sure this is not an original thing as the vents are at the bottom in the floor (photo attached below)

So I’m thinking of fitting this myself and then getting it checked by a gas safety to make sure it’s all good.

From what I can see I’ve got everything I need apart from the hose that hues from the bottle to the original regulator.

As i currently have only one Gaslow cylinder (6kg) I wanting to keep one 6kg calor bottle in case a run out and need gas before being able to refill.

If prefer to have the 2x bottle connected via a dual changeover adopter/head. I definitely DONT like the automatic version as I’d want to know when/if im running out from the gaslow cylinder and using the calor.

So I’ve seen gaslow does a manual version?https://www.gaslowdirect.com/product/gaslow-w20-changeover-gauge-propane-standard-01-1630/

Can anyone explain how this works please as I don’t see any valve/cock that that will let me choose or set which cylinder inlet to use.

Also I see they do different version, butane & propane. With me again having 1x gaslow & 1x propane I’m I right in saying I’d need the below?

So what all I’d need will be:

1)

2)https://www.gaslowdirect.com/produc...-21-8lh-0-45-metre-regulator-hose-01-6010-ss/

Use my existing tailpipe from the calor bottle onto the gaslow changeover head.

Thanks in advance

View attachment 936297
There are no valves on the changeover head because you use the valves on the bottles to select which one you want to use. One open and the other one closed. Then vice versa when you want to change over.
I assume that your calor is a propane bottle, if so then the propane head is what you need.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
There are no valves on the changeover head because you use the valves on the bottles to select which one you want to use. One open and the other one closed. Then vice versa when you want to change over.
I assume that your calor is a propane bottle, if so then the propane head is what you need.
A lot cheaper just to use a T piece.

Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I have this exact set up in my new to me Swift. Autogas 2000 in Thirsk did it.

Photo if it helps. As said all you do is wait until one runs out and then turn on the other one. However what I try and do is once the Gaslow guage is in the red (2 litres left) I'll swap to calor then and if I've not been able to fill the Gaslow when the calor runs out I'll switch back to the remaining gaslow while I go off on the bike in search of a new calor.

IMG20240709162825.jpg
IMG20240709162827.jpg
IMG20240709162830.jpg

Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Seven years go I installed one 6kg Calor and one 6kg Gaslow. I would only use the Calor when the Gaslow runs out - but I never have used any of the Calor as the Gaslow can be topped up at any time.

View attachment 936346

I switched to my Calor yesterday. We have been near Salcombe for nearly three weeks and the nearest LPG pump is miles away. We will probably head down towards St Ives soon then up to Woolacombe. They are few and far between. I think there is just one LPG station between St Ives and Woolacombe. If it's out of order then it will be Calor for us until the end of October.

Certainly in the UK for our style of touring it's an essential backup. I would have preferred an 11kg Gaslow with a 6kg calor backup like our old van but Swift put in a pittifully small gas locker on this van.

Jan 25, 2024
North Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012
Be a bit careful if you have used a tee piece.
If you haven’t turned off the Calor and are filling, it would theoretically be possible to fill your Calor bottle to 100 percent, so dangerous.

But there again…….

Tony.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Be a bit careful if you have used a tee piece.
If you haven’t turned off the Calor and are filling, it would theoretically be possible to fill your Calor bottle to 100 percent, so dangerous.

But there again…….

Tony.
No chance. Calor cylinders have a non-return valve in the outlet so it's not possible to put in gas through that hose. In any case both cylinder valves are always turned off when I refill the Gaslow and the Calor cylinder hasn't been turned on in 7 years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
So how do Calor fill them?

Just curious.

Tony
180 deg to the outlet valve casting is a filler spigot with a red plastic grommet which they remove and replace.
However, I believe there are unofficial 'kits' available on eBay etc that enable Calor refilling.

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
180 deg to the outlet valve casting is a filler spigot with a red plastic grommet which they remove and replace.
However, I believe there are unofficial 'kits' available on eBay etc that enable Calor refilling.
It is possible to backfill a Calor bottle via the outlet, that is how the 'unofficial adaptors' that some people' use manage to fill them. Calor bottles are only to be refilled by Calor themselves and it's totally unlawful and dangerous for anybody other than Calor to refill them. This subject has been chewed over quite a few times on this forum, and I am not interested in comments from anybody who thinks otherwise
Gaslow require the outlet valve to be closed when filling, so there is no way that a system with a T piece or manual change over valve can fill another bottle connected to the outlet side with all of both bottles outlet valves closed.
BTW Spridder, - that's a bonny Matchless that you have on your photo.

Jan 25, 2024
North Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012
But if you forget to close the Gaslow valve, it can backfill.

Whilst you are 100% right about filling Calor. It doesn’t change the fact that they charge you sixty quid for fifteen quids worth of gas and are quietly building a monopoly. They are also doom mongers when it comes to refillable bottles, discouraging forecourts from allowing filling of a perfectly legal system

Just MHO!

Tony

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
But if you forget to close the Gaslow valve, it can backfill.

Whilst you are 100% right about filling Calor. It doesn’t change the fact that they charge you sixty quid for fifteen quids worth of gas and are quietly building a monopoly. They are also doom mongers when it comes to refillable bottles, discouraging forecourts from allowing filling of a perfectly legal system

Just MHO!

Tony
I am not aware of Calor discouraging the filling of proper refillable bottles such as Gaslow.
Many garages who are aware of their legal duties will not let a customer fill a portable refillable, simply because they do not, or can not, train thier staff to recognise when some chancer turns up with a calor bottle and eBay special adaptor. So they are staying safe and ban all refilling of portable bottles.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
It is possible to backfill a Calor bottle via the outlet, that is how the 'unofficial adaptors' that some people' use manage to fill them. Calor bottles are only to be refilled by Calor themselves and it's totally unlawful and dangerous for anybody other than Calor to refill them. This subject has been chewed over quite a few times on this forum, and I am not interested in comments from anybody who thinks otherwise
Gaslow require the outlet valve to be closed when filling, so there is no way that a system with a T piece or manual change over valve can fill another bottle connected to the outlet side with all of both bottles outlet valves closed.
Quite so, but I'm always cautious with techy topics to stick to my known facts rather than express an opinion on this well-worn and oft contentious subject. I've never refilled a Calor cylinder but there are some who've posted on here that they've been refilling Calor cylinders 'for years' without issues.
It's a 1954 350cc model with one previous owner, the Rhodesian Police to whom it was shipped direct from the factory. I've had it for 34 years and ridden it more than 100,000 miles. It's more but the chronometric odometer has not been working for extended periods. 75% of the mileage has been around Europe (Alps, Pyrenees etc) with full camping gear.
Marigold at St Emilion.JPG

There's quite a difference between a "Bonny" and a "Matchbox"
T'aint wotcha got, it's the way that you use it. Same as with m/homes. :tounge:

Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08

Forgive me if I have misunderstood but are you saying if I don't remember to turn off my Gaslow bottle there is a risk it could try to fill the calor that's also attached or the opposite?

When I got my first Gaslow 16 years ago the Gaslow fitter said you don't need to turn it off to fill and I never did. The calor will generally be turned off anyway.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Forgive me if I have misunderstood but are you saying if I don't remember to turn off my Gaslow bottle there is a risk it could try to fill the calor that's also attached or the opposite?
The opposite. As I posted earlier, the regular Calor delivery outlet (and the Gaslow delivery outlet) have n/r valves.

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013

When I got my first Gaslow 16 years ago the Gaslow fitter said you don't need to turn it off to fill and I never did. The calor will generally be turned off anyway.
I think that you have picked up the thread wrongly.
I didn't say that leaving a Gaslow outlet valve open would backfill another bottle, the design of the Gaslow bottle should prevent that happening. But Gaslow ask you to turn off the valve when filling anyway.
What I did say is that it is possible to fill a calor via its outlet valve.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Asking for a friend .......
With one 11kg Calor and one 11 kg Gaslow, if my friend leaves both valves open next time he fills up with LPG, will the Calor fill up as well as the Gaslow ?
(Keeping in mind the Gaslow has a gauge so it can be seen when it gets to 80% full)

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
I switched to my Calor yesterday. We have been near Salcombe for nearly three weeks and the nearest LPG pump is miles away. We will probably head down towards St Ives soon then up to Woolacombe. They are few and far between. I think there is just one LPG station between St Ives and Woolacombe. If it's out of order then it will be Calor for us until the end of October.

Certainly in the UK for our style of touring it's an essential backup. I would have preferred an 11kg Gaslow with a 6kg calor backup like our old van but Swift put in a pittifully small gas locker on this van.
If you are going to St Ives from Salcome if you go over the Tamar bridge at the first roundabout there is a Shell garage that sells LPG also one at the Trulefoot roundabout again a Shell Garage. Or Tragopan mills at Newton Abbot just of the A38 Exeter to Plymouth road/

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Asking for a friend .......
With one 11kg Calor and one 11 kg Gaslow, if my friend leaves both valves open next time he fills up with LPG, will the Calor fill up as well as the Gaslow ?
Tell your friend 'No'.
As already pointed out in earlier replies the Calor outlet has a n/r valve which prevents back filling though it. The unofficial Calor filling kits have a device which disables the n/r valve in the outlet allowing gas to pass through it and into the cylinder. Official Calor depots fill through the spigot which is 180 deg to the outlet and plugged with a bung (which is red coloured on my Calor cylinder).
The Gaslow cylinder has one inlet for filling (with a n/r valve) and a separate delivery outlet (with a n/r valve).
There is also a n/r valve in the body-mounted unit where you connect the LPG gun.

Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
If you are going to St Ives from Salcome if you go over the Tamar bridge at the first roundabout there is a Shell garage that sells LPG also one at the Trulefoot roundabout again a Shell Garage. Or Tragopan mills at Newton Abbot just of the A38 Exeter to Plymouth road/

Thanks. I knew about the one other side of the Tamar Bridge and tried calling them a couple of times, no answer. So turned up today empty and their pump is out of order. I did however locate one just outside of Redruth at a market garden Nursery of all places. Smashing guy there. As I rolled in he was straight on the pump waiting to fill it for me. He also told me they have water available FOC for motorhomes 24/7.

Its here.

Teresa and Paul LPG Station

Old Portreath Road, Illogan, Redruth. TR16 4JA

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Thanks. I knew about the one other side of the Tamar Bridge and tried calling them a couple of times, no answer. So turned up today empty and their pump is out of order. I did however locate one just outside of Redruth at a market garden Nursery of all places. Smashing guy there. As I rolled in he was straight on the pump waiting to fill it for me. He also told me they have water available FOC for motorhomes 24/7.

Its here.

Teresa and Paul LPG Station

Old Portreath Road, Illogan, Redruth. TR16 4JA
Download the MyLPG.EU app to your smart phone or access it on line here
It gives (mostly) up to date info on where the nearest LPG is and the price

For example the station at Carkeel (just over the Tamar) was selling LPG at 99p on Sunday.
The one at Redruth, was selling LPG at £1 as of Saturday

FYI - There are only three places that sell LPG in Cornwall
  • Carkeel at Saltash,
  • the Garden centre in Redruth
  • and the quarry at Penryn (Which is not suitable for larger vehicles and needs a long reverse to access)
In reality, the only conventional garage in the entire county is Carkeel, which for a county that takes in over five million tourists every year, of which hundreds of thousands are in motorhomes and caravans, is stunning!

Very definitely a business opportunity for a garage owner on the northern Cornish section of the A30 to fit an LPG pump, they would get regular custom.

(Anyone know who runs Morrisons of Bodmin? As they are missing a profitable venture)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Tell your friend 'No'.
As already pointed out in earlier replies the Calor outlet has a n/r valve which prevents back filling though it. The unofficial Calor filling kits have a device which disables the n/r valve in the outlet allowing gas to pass through it and into the cylinder. Official Calor depots fill through the spigot which is 180 deg to the outlet and plugged with a bung (which is red coloured on my Calor cylinder).
The Gaslow cylinder has one inlet for filling (with a n/r valve) and a separate delivery outlet (with a n/r valve).
There is also a n/r valve in the body-mounted unit where you connect the LPG gun.
Just for clarity the 'naughty' adapter would allow liquid to go into the Calor bottle, not gas. I wish they would ban the sale of these adapters though as they aren't safe IMV and are no doubt causing concern for fuel stations so their stance is sometimes that they won't let you fill genuine refillable cylinders.

Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Download the MyLPG.EU app to your smart phone or access it on line here
It gives (mostly) up to date info on where the nearest LPG is and the price

For example the station at Carkeel (just over the Tamar) was selling LPG at 99p on Sunday.
The one at Redruth, was selling LPG at £1 as of Saturday

FYI - There are only three places that sell LPG in Cornwall
  • Carkeel at Saltash,
  • the Garden centre in Redruth
  • and the quarry at Penryn (Which is not suitable for larger vehicles and needs a long reverse to access)
In reality, the only conventional garage in the entire county is Carkeel, which for a county that takes in over five million tourists every year, of which hundreds of thousands are in motorhomes and caravans, is stunning!

Very definitely a business opportunity for a garage owner on the northern Cornish section of the A30 to fit an LPG pump, they would get regular custom.

(Anyone know who runs Morrisons of Bodmin? As they are missing a profitable venture)

Cheers

Yep I used that site and found all three. Discounted the one with difficult access and was hoping for the one at Saltash but as said it was out of order. They are so scarce now I do ring in advance but of course they didn't answer the phone at Saltash. Its not a major issue for us as I carry a 6kg Calor for this very reason. They are certainly thin on the ground though here.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back