Gas lever not opening gas locker on Autotrail (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Hi everyone, hoping someone can give some practical advice on the following problem We've just got home (North Somerset) after exploring the Northumberland 250 which was brilliant except for the midges and rain in Kielder Forest! Anyway, we were just about to leave Beadnell bay and went to lift the internal lever to open the gas locker and nothing happened. There is no tension in the lever when you lift it and it won't release the catch so we can turn off the gas. We made sure we used all the gas left in the bottle to have some peace of mind when driving home but we're still unable to open the gas locker. Has anyone with an Autotrail have any ideas on how to release the catch inside the locker please? Thank you funsters.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
The locker will have a drop vent in the bottom. You maybe able to poke something through that to operate the latch.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Think the pull cable will have snapped, they just like a bike cable.
If you lucky you will be able to slide something up between door and bottom of locker front edge to snag, pull the link cables

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
If it’s like mine from 2003 (lever behind the drivers seat and uses a cable) then you may be able to reach underneath the bottom of the locker and pull the cable there. Even though my lever works, it’s my go to way to open the locker from outside.

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
If your cable has broken, get underneath and ost a photo. You should be able to see where the cable attaches. Give that a yank or attach something to pull it by

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2022
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail navajo
Exp
4 yrs
I have a 2012 autotrail which suffered the same problem, on mine the cable connected to the handle splits into 2 behind the gas locker door and goes to a catch on either side, the cable is fastened to the catch only with a cable tie which had broken..by lying on the floor and working upwards with a long screwdriver I was able to unlock the catches.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
May 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Thank you, I will let my other half read all the helpful responses 👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
May 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
I had the same problem. I managed to pull the bottom of the locker door out just enough to get my arm in and pulled the release by hand.
See here for a picture of the layout
'Broken gas locker catch' https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/broken-gas-locker-catch.286074/
That's great thank you, we don't have time to do it at the mo but will post an update once we've tackled the dam thing, sounds like a design fault to me 🙄

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
May 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
I have a 2012 autotrail which suffered the same problem, on mine the cable connected to the handle splits into 2 behind the gas locker door and goes to a catch on either side, the cable is fastened to the catch only with a cable tie which had broken..by lying on the floor and working upwards with a long screwdriver I was able to unlock the catches.
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
May 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
If you lucky you will be able to slide something up between door and bottom of locker front edge to snag, pull the link cables
Brilliant, thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
May 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Ok it all sounds quite a fiddle but will we will give it go, thank you

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
May 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Hi everyone, hoping someone can give some practical advice on the following problem We've just got home (North Somerset) after exploring the Northumberland 250 which was brilliant except for the midges and rain in Kielder Forest! Anyway, we were just about to leave Beadnell bay and went to lift the internal lever to open the gas locker and nothing happened. There is no tension in the lever when you lift it and it won't release the catch so we can turn off the gas. We made sure we used all the gas left in the bottle to have some peace of mind when driving home but we're still unable to open the gas locker. Has anyone with an Autotrail have any ideas on how to release the catch inside the locker please? Thank you funsters.
Big thanks to you all for the advice, such a great site to be part of, I knew I could depend on you all 👏

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
May 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Update! Thank you everyone who gave me sound advice re the gas locker cable.
Hubby became a contortionist today and managed to get the door open. One of the cable ties had broken attaching cable to the right hand mechanism thingy. He replaced both sides with strong cable ties and we have success. 🤞 that's it for now. More knowledge to add to this MH lark 😃

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back