Gas in Europe - help (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 21, 2023
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hi,

We are planning to travel around europe for 9 months (schengen and non-schengen).

We cureently have 2 calor bottles and thinking of keeping 1 for emergenies and having the other for camping gaz etc.

Hoping for some help with gas adapters in europe. Is there an adapter kit I can buy which will fit a variety of different bottles?
Do I need a new adapter and a hose for each countries cannister type?

Any help, as always, would be appreciated.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Here is an example of adapters for the Gaslow refillable system for Europe, but you are no doubt aware that Calor exchange cylinders are not available in Europe and Camping Gaz replacements are relatively expensive.

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Best solution is refillable gas bottles or an underslung tank plus a set of continental fill point adapters. Depending on your gas consumption, the outlay will be recouped by the cheaper gas price. The other alternative will be to buy a local cylinder and the appropriate hose connection. The downside of that would be that you will acquire a selection of foreign bottles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Camping gas in a Motorhome that has a full size gas locker is not the way to go...in some countries it's so expensive to buy 3.9kg of gas even 3 times the price as full size cylinders..and if you use half to one kg of gas per day it's only going to last a week at most.
Go as suggested...have a refillable system fitted...we have had extended European trips of up to 5 months visiting up to 9 or 10 different countries...never had a gas issue...and never used electric hook up on the whole trip..Gaslow is our choice....top up whenever, you don't have to wait until it runs out.🇪🇦

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
In our last van we had 2 x 6kg calor bottles. A real pain on longish journeys. Only place we found to refill them was Portugal. We ended up buying a Greek bottle & adaptor (still have it if anyone wants). Also had a Spanish one but that’s gone.
Current van has two refillable bottles & it’s so much cheaper & certainly takes away the worry of gas usage. LPG is almost everywhere in the eu, with the correct adaptor it’s a simple job.
If you’re heading to Morocco get an ext bbq point fitted so you can connect a local bottle. Lpg wasn’t available last visit some years ago, but may have changed.

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
Hi,

We are planning to travel around europe for 9 months (schengen and non-schengen).

We cureently have 2 calor bottles and thinking of keeping 1 for emergenies and having the other for camping gaz etc.

Hoping for some help with gas adapters in europe. Is there an adapter kit I can buy which will fit a variety of different bottles?

Actually, I’d like to know, is there an adaptor from a standard pig tail uk connector to a European standard push fit gas bottle connector. Without the hassle of say changing the pigtail pipe.
Such a connector would allow you to load 2 bottles of UK fitting gas bottles and carry 2 European style bottles in your garage.. making life simpler.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
Hi,

You just need one refillable as you fill before you get to empty. There are plenty of GPL sites over the Channel and contrary to what many people think - sufficient in the UK.
The initial investment will pay for itself in a short time, especially if you are thinking of using camping Gaz as a solution.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Actually, I’d like to know, is there an adaptor from a standard pig tail uk connector to a European standard push fit gas bottle connector. Without the hassle of say changing the pigtail pipe.
Such a connector would allow you to load 2 bottles of UK fitting gas bottles and carry 2 European style bottles in your garage.. making life simpler.
That’s pretty much what we used to do. Our pipes were the eu rubber ones & we had push fit bayonet connectors with adaptors to which ever gas bottle we had full. Probably illegal?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back