Gas flow issue (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Scout SE
Does anyone have any idea why the propane gas stops flowing into my van when the bottle gets down to about 1/3 full? I've replaced pig tails and Truma regulator!! It gets expensive wasting 1/3 bottle every time!!!

IMG_0899.JPG

IMG_0898.JPG

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Does anyone have any idea why the propane gas stops flowing into my van when the bottle gets down to about 1/3 full? I've replaced pig tails and Truma regulator!! It gets expensive wasting 1/3 bottle every time!!!

View attachment 921417

View attachment 921418
May I ask how you are determining they are 1/3 full? I see no gauges in the photos.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PG Trips
Dec 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Scout SE
Hi Pauism, yes you can hear the liquid gas swishing around.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
I have no cure for your problem to suggest but can put forward a relatively simple work around. If you acquire a refillable gas bottle there is no need to wait until it is empty to refill at the likes of a Morrisons PFS.

Of course somebody more technically minded than me may have a solution for you.

Chris

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Pauism, yes you can hear the liquid gas swishing around.
You do seem to have a strange problem.

I am no expert but was told the top of the bottle should be well below the level of the regulator, so that condensates in the pipe drain back into the bottle. From the pictures it looks like your bottle is at about the same level as the regulator and that there is a low point in the pipe coming from the bottle. I am not saying this is the cause of your problem but it might be worth checking. Perhaps the pipe gets blocked with condensate but when you change bottles it hangs down and drains. When disconnected the pressure would drop in the pipe perhaps allowing the condensates to rapidly evaporate.

Upvote 0
Oct 31, 2023
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
master camper van
Exp
since 1976?
hiya pg tips had x2 gaslow bottles for 20 years now never heard of that one fault be for i have 2 gauges on my gaslow bottles my advice to you is take both gaslow bottles out of your camper take both gaslow bottes to back of your camper when you think you have run out of gas and turn 1 gas tap at a time and see if gas comes out of that bottle quick turn of gas tap see if gas come out if yes then do same to gas bottle number 2 if yes gas come out the fault is in your camper van i here from time to time that the regulator gets block with oil from the lpg gas if no gas come out of your 2 gaslow bottles there empty if you can still here gas in both gaslow bottles your bottles may be faulty ? in my gaslow instructions book theres help line number gaslow international ltd castle business park pavilion way loughborough leicestershire LE11 5GW PHONE NUMBER 0845 400 600 hope this is of help to you beep beep roadrunner700

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
They are not GasIT refillables as there is no inlet port. Looks like standard Calor or Flogas. We had a similar problem with flow in our last van before we fitted GasIT. The regulator needs to be well above the exit point from the cylinder or it will oil up. We had to change the regulator twice in 4-5 years. We then used the smaller bottles and the problem disappeared. Difficult to see how you can lift your though. :-(

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
They are not GasIT refillables as there is no inlet port. Looks like standard Calor or Flogas. We had a similar problem with flow in our last van before we fitted GasIT. The regulator needs to be well above the exit point from the cylinder or it will oil up. We had to change the regulator twice in 4-5 years. We then used the smaller bottles and the problem disappeared. Difficult to see how you can lift your though. :-(
A shorter pipe without such a pronounced low point and a filter to intercept the condensates might help but shorter bottles are probably needed.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Alternatively, a hook or two on the side wall to hold the hose so that there is a gentle upward run all the way from cylinder connection to the regulator. The stick on hooks should be man enough.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
The OP's opening post says he has replaced the regulator.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PG Trips
Dec 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Scout SE
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply đź‘Ť
I will down size to 6kg when the next bottle needs changing and see if the height below the regulator makes a difference.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back