Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
Just been to my local Asda to pickup a few bits including garlic, I don't normally look at where it came from but this time I did and it was China, I looked at all the other types and they all came from China.

That's a lot of air miles don't the French grow them anymore?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
China leads the world's garlic production, accounting for 73.8% of world production, followed by India with 10.4%, Bangladesh with 1.7%, South Korea with 1.3% and Egypt with 1.2%

Appears to grow best in warm countries.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Just been to my local Asda to pickup a few bits including garlic, I don't normally look at where it came from but this time I did and it was China, I looked at all the other types and they all came from China.

That's a lot of air miles don't the French grow them anymore?
I very much doubt it's flown in.
Aeroplanes only carry three things in bulk: People, Documents and small low density high value items (which includes Flowers!)

It will be Shipped in.
The cost of a container load of garlic from China to the UK is much the same as a lorry load from France.

However the cost of growing in China will be a lot less than the same amount in France.
As land, heating, polytunnels and picking and packing cost will be considerably less in China

Typically the cost to ship vs fly is 1:1,000
An airfreight broker will talk in dollars per kilo.
A ship broker will talk in dollars per tonne.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back