Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 2, 2020
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Hi, I hope anyone away last night on the South coast survived the 56mph winds we saw here on the IoW. Ooo it blew!

Please see the photos: I have an issue with the clips that hold the garage doors open on my 16 plate Auto trail. I think due to weathering, the clips have lost their grip (I often lose my grip, so I do understand).
Please see photos and has anyone got a fix for this or any simple ideas of keeping the doors open
Many thanks team 😀
Alan.
1000027149.jpg
1000027151.jpg

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Same problem with the gas locker door on our AT.
Our temporary fix of a hardened blob of Araldite on the male part has lasted 7-8 years!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a quick fix is heat up the male part and squish it so that it forms a thicker tongue on the end. Only works once or twice though as the plastic ages in the sun. Never understood the logic of the converter fitting cheap rubbish to an expensive vehicle. It wouldn't cost much more to fit sprung metal latches

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mona Owner
Oct 2, 2020
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Those plastic clips need replacing every 2 to 3 years better to replace with something more sub

Just one offering, plenty more on eBay or O’Learys Motorhome spares.
Thanks for the help. I notice the originals appear to be riveted on. Sorry to sound dumb, but do I drill out the rivet head? and use screws on the new item? I am definitely no mechanic!
Alan

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for the help. I notice the originals appear to be riveted on. Sorry to sound dumb, but do I drill out the rivet head? and use screws on the new item? I am definitely no mechanic!
Alan

Yes drill the old head off to remove the old one but screws are no good as there's only foam insulation inside,I used spreading rivets like this.

3B3AAAD0-BB6D-46B9-9E5E-DB40B66C6EDE.jpeg

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
The second items there are the real 'business'- trucks use them for their really heavy doors (not suitable for curtain-siders)

Should be fitted by all MH manufacturers ex-factory.

The second one is standard fit on Concorde. I fitted them on our previous Dethleffs after the pathetic originals failed.

I also fitted those in the first link to the top hinged gas locker door on the Dethleffs; there is no way it would have accidentally closed.

Ian

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back