Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
We are due to complete on the sale of our property shortly, but will have a month or two before we expect to complete on the new place. We are going to base ourselves at my dads for that time ( when we are not away in the van).
Rang our current insurer up to change the address only to be told that as we will niot be home owners or in a long term rental, they class us as being full timers. That will be an extra £87 for three weeks additional cover until the policy expires. :eek: They also told me their full time policies start at £1400PA, though they will give a refund on some of that when we move into our new home. Ill be looking elsewhere for our next 12 months cover.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
We are due to complete on the sale of our property shortly, but will have a month or two before we expect to complete on the new place. We are going to base ourselves at my dads for that time ( when we are not away in the van).
Rang our current insurer up to change the address only to be told that as we will niot be home owners or in a long term rental, they class us as being full timers. That will be an extra £87 for three weeks additional cover until the policy expires. :eek: They also told me their full time policies start at £1400PA, though they will give a refund on some of that when we move into our new home. Ill be looking elsewhere for our next 12 months cover.
Just sign a 12 months tenancy agreement with your dad👍

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
I did think of that. Not sure if a tennancy agreement ahs to have a monthly cost on it. If so it may have tax implications for him. Not sure how it would work.

Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
I did think of that. Not sure if a tennancy agreement ahs to have a monthly cost on it. If so it may have tax implications for him. Not sure how it would work.
He can lease a room in his house for no more than £7,500 a year ish, tax free.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I wouldn't have changed the address until after house was actually sold then I'd just have said "my new address is" without providing any info .

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
Blimey. Might be cheaper to say you've moved in with you Dad and your van's just parked up.
Ill leave as is for now, policy expires shortly. I have just put a quote on on a comparison site, they dont seem to care that we wont be a homeowner as long as we have an address. Cheaper than Comfort as well.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
You can live with me for a few weeks if need be :wink:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
So commit fraud and have any potential claim rejected, not my idea of a good plan(y).
How is it fraud? You do not have no address until the place is sold then just change it to the son's doing it in advance has long gone with the scammers
they dont seem to care that we wont be a homeowner as long as we have an address.

This ^^^^^^^^^
the others are just scamming you

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Thought it might be , I was building a new house , not yet finished so no habitation certificate therefore couldn’t register on the voters roll, I was living in a caravan whilst I was building, comfort wanted me to pay a full time policy, went to LV , cheaper & no problems , their loss

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
How is it fraud? You do not have no address until the place is sold then just change it to the son's doing it in advance has long gone with the scammers
Dont understand what you are saying.
Without our own address ( a place we own) or long term let contract ( 9 months), they wont insure us apart from the Full timer cover. We could say we were renting from my dad, but even then they said they would refer it to the under writers who may not offer cover. If they decline cover then it should be declared on future insurance proposals.
Easier to pay up for the remainder of this years cover and go with another provider in a month or so.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Rent your dads garden shed or garage for £1 PCM
(And make sure you pay him by direct debit)
Get a post box from B&Q and screw onto the door or the shed/garage.
Get a AST document from W H Smiths and fill it in.

Sorted.
Your 'official' address is your palatial garden shed.
Make sure you move as many items as possible to the 'new' address

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Without our own address ( a place we own) or long term let contract ( 9 months), they wont insure us apart from the Full timer cover.
It is only comfort trying it on as you posted that another company had "no interest in whether we had an address"

Boringfrog

Free Member
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Blimey. Might be cheaper to say you've moved in with you Dad and your van's just parked up.
That's all you need to do.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
It's not difficult to create an AST with break clauses or with clauses that if you break you can be evicted. It only becomes an issue when someone objects to the eviction, which I'm assuming you wouldn't do .... You could even agree to 'move out' in writing (sometimes called a notice of intention to quit) if the tenancy agreement includes it in the 'break clauses' .....

As I said, it only ever becomes an issue if you or your landlord challenges it, as no one else needs to know.

We use the rent a room scheme for our AirBnB activities and declare it (along with our BTL properties) on our tax returns, so pay no income tax on our AirBnB activities. we sought permissions from our mortgage provider and carry additional insurance for the few times per year that we offer AirBnB (Inc one this coming weekend, where we decant into a local campsite for a couple of nights)

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Did you try pushing your enquiry up the line at Comfort or did you just take the first answer as gospel? Sounds like something a manager would find a work around for rather than lose the business . . . . .

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
Did you try pushing your enquiry up the line at Comfort or did you just take the first answer as gospel? Sounds like something a manager would find a work around for rather than lose the business . . . . .
They have lost my business at renewal time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back