Fuel station scam in France with damaged banknote?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Feels like we just had a narrow escape in Hyere, Provence. Our LPG gas guage is malfunctioning, as a result of which we suddenly found out this evening that we had run out of gas - because the fridge went off (we don't need hook up, so we rarely bother to pay the extra for mains, we just run the fridge off gas). To avoid the fridge contents going off overnight, we made a hurried dash to the nearest 24 hour LPG station, Intermarche in Hyeres (thanks, MyLPG.eu app). We got there about 10 and had just filled up when a battered car with a rough looking couple stopped at the next pump. The woman got out and showed me a torn EUR5 note, saying that the machine would not accept it because it was torn, and asking if I would take the note and use my credit card to put EUR5 of petrol in her car. In the meantime, her bloke was wandering around the back of our van. We were still in a bit of a tizz because of the late night emergency dash, but it didn't smell right so I just said no and we hurriedly got into the van and drove off - in the meantime another very dodgy car had pulled in behind us in this otherwise derserted fuel station - a shiny black BMW with two sinister looking young men in it. We just legged it back to our nice safe campsite. It might all have been totally innocent, but it certainly didn't feel it. I have googled and searched here to see if any similar scams are common, but haven't been able to find anything. Does this ring any bells with anyone? Even if it doesn't, be very wary if something similar happens to you.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil Terrestra
Exp
Since 2004
Similar scam is sometimes used here. They will ask if you can change a £50 note for a parking machine or similar. One of our children got caught at a railway ticket machine. If you only have half that, they still take it, but then the note proves to be a dud.

Given it was only EUR5, it may have been genuine, but you had no way of knowing.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
And, just for your info.
If you run out of gas at whatever time in the evening, no harm will befall the contents of your fridge if you keep it closed overnight.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Do as I would do. Ask them to attend the nearest Gendarmerie, they have a similar set-up as the UK, a relative will deposit cash at one station, then the station where they are at will hand over the same amount may be a bit too much trouble but never stranded. I suspect the words *attendees le Gendarmerie SVP * would have them suddenly finding enough cash for fuel! Sorry for French grammar!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Where is Gus eh when you need him😇😎
Advantage of carrying cash.I'd have swopped the note for another.
The pumps don't take cash anyway from what I've seen 🤔
There are far more stations in France now were you can pay with cash. I know of two where they used to be card only & now have a remote cash machine some 50m away.

Most spanish standalone unmanned stations have always had the cash facility as well.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
Since 1977
100% a scam. They would have filled both cars or distracted you and taken card etc. You did the best thing to get out of there. 👍

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The contrary story.

When in Italy some 25 years ago our towed motor scooter was virtually out of fuel so, after pitching on a campsite, I rode around looking for the nearest filling station. By the time I found it the tank gauge had been showing empty for some time.

Shock, horror, the station was unmanned and credit card only. I had left my cards in the motorhome.

I had to sit and wait for a car to arrive and ask the driver to use his card to obtain fuel and I paid him cash for the amount.

Not carrying my own card was stupidity on my part but the request for help was totally innocent.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I had to sit and wait for a car to arrive and ask the driver to use his card to obtain fuel and I paid him cash for the amount.

Not carrying my own card was stupidity on my part but the request for help was totally innocent.

No matter how many horror stories, I always say to anyone worried about it, that as a traveller in Europe you are countless times more likely to be a victim of kindness than crime. (y).

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No matter how many horror stories, I always say to anyone worried about it, that as a traveller in Europe you are countless times more likely to be a victim of kindness than crime. (y).
I have often told this story on here, when we started out we weren't on here or any other motorhome thing and didn't know all this security stuff and that , we just went and made it up as we went along.
Various stories but for this thread, I'll tell this one.
We were somewhere in Spain and stopped at a filling station come lorry stop and didn't understand the pumps so we were messing about looking at stuff, doors wide open and all the things you apparently shouldn't do .
Anyway while we were messing about two rough looking blokes in a black Merc rolled up and started talking to us and showing us what to do at the pump, could have been anyone but we let them fill us up and then decided to stay the night on this lorry stop.
Well iv never seen this anywhere else but this roadhouse cafe on there at 8 o'clock turned into a bistro, so we decided to go for ameal in there and load behold who should be in there but these same two guys, and it turned out they were really nice blokes at we drank with them all night with a Swedish lorry driver interpreting all night, one of the best nights we have had on the road.
BUT if we had known then what we have since read we would have been very wary of these two blokes and would probably have rushed back into the van and left and missed one of the best nights.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back