Front drop down A class bed with extensions (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Anybody got one of these?
See them on some Hymers. Are they ok, or a pain to get into?

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I had one on a Frankia. They sound a nice idea and do make a lovely big bed, but they can’t be put away with the bed made up (or at least not simply). The pain in use is that you need to pull down the bed, extend the extensions, insert the additional mattress cushions, then make the bed. Once done, they’re not a pain to get into (in the Frankia we could step into it off the lounge seats).

This rather spoiled the idea of leaving the drop down bed made up, so we tended not to bother with extending it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DBop

Free Member
Dec 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have a Hymer Exsis I 562, the drop down bed with extension works great for us. Our set up when on the road… Sheets made up on the main section (stowed away) when it’s bed time pull the bed down and while extending the bed pull the sheet over and bed is made, quite slick. Followed by throwing the duvet and pillow on, it’s no dramas.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
The only reason I can see for the extensions is if you are too tall/long to be comfortable sleeping across the van!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I had one on a Frankia. They sound a nice idea and do make a lovely big bed, but they can’t be put away with the bed made up (or at least not simply). The pain in use is that you need to pull down the bed, extend the extensions, insert the additional mattress cushions, then make the bed. Once done, they’re not a pain to get into (in the Frankia we could step into it off the lounge seats).

This rather spoiled the idea of leaving the drop down bed made up, so we tended not to bother with extending it.
Thank you. I can see where it adds to the chore.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
We have a Hymer Exsis I 562, the drop down bed with extension works great for us. Our set up when on the road… Sheets made up on the main section (stowed away) when it’s bed time pull the bed down and while extending the bed pull the sheet over and bed is made, quite slick. Followed by throwing the duvet and pillow on, it’s no dramas.
Surely you keep the duvet and pillows on the bed when stowed?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
It stops having to crawl over the other person from front to back😉👍 in the early morning
Just what I was going to say. Our first van just had the drop down bed but we were a lot younger then. I regard us as not being athletic enough now for transverse beds.

Upvote 0

DBop

Free Member
Dec 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Folkranger,
Yes we store the duvet and pillows on the two singles (where the kids sleep) generally once the kids go to bed we place the duvet and pillows upfront snd when we are ready for sleep make the bed up in minutes. As I said it works for us now.

Upvote 0

DBop

Free Member
Dec 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
With the bed be so large it’s great if you need a midnight visit to the toilet… no need for commando style, to get out of the bed .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Folkranger,
Yes we store the duvet and pillows on the two singles (where the kids sleep) generally once the kids go to bed we place the duvet and pillows upfront snd when we are ready for sleep make the bed up in minutes. As I said it works for us now.
Sorry for seeming so thick but I still don't understand. We've always left the pillows and duvet on the drop down bed when stowed away. Is this not possible on the bed with extensions?

Upvote 0

DBop

Free Member
Dec 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Fair question, my previous Moho had a drop down bed and yes we had the duvet and pillows on it.
On the Hymer you stow the extension section mattress on top of the main mattress while stowed away, which is flush to the ceiling.
When you want to set up the bed, just pull the bed down and release the extension section (this is basically a sliding shelf where the extension mattress lays on) then slide the extension mattress onto the shelf. Now you have an Uber big bed 👌😁

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Fair question, my previous Moho had a drop down bed and yes we had the duvet and pillows on it.
On the Hymer you stow the extension section mattress on top of the main mattress while stowed away, which is flush to the ceiling.
When you want to set up the bed, just pull the bed down and release the extension section (this is basically a sliding shelf where the extension mattress lays on) then slide the extension mattress onto the shelf. Now you have an Uber big bed 👌😁
Sounds good to me

Upvote 0

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
It stops having to crawl over the other person from front to back😉👍 in the early morning
We operate the 'One Out, All Out' system, and, being a 5.99m m/home, the 1st one down the ladder has to turn sharp right into the kitchen recess, to enable the person in need to open the bathroom door. Sort of 'Ladies Excuse Me' routine, but without the tea, cucumber sandwiches and doilies ... (y)

Steve

Upvote 0

Rob1562

Free Member
Mar 20, 2021
Funster No
MH
Frankia i7400 plus
We have this on our Frankia i7400.
Works an absolute treat.......separate extension cushions with custom made fitted elasticated sheets. These stay on all the time along with the fitted sheet to the main mattress.
The extension cushions, plus pillows and duvet stay on the bed when travelling , then at night, drop bed, pull out extensions, place cushions on and go up the pull out steps to bed !
This could be specific to the mechanism of the Frankia bed, but there's plenty of room for everything on the bed when stowed away.....can't comment on other makes 'cos we stopped looking when we found the Frankia.
Regards, Rob.

Upvote 0

dbw

Feb 16, 2014
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740plus
Exp
Since 2014
We have this on our Frankia i7400.
Works an absolute treat.......separate extension cushions with custom made fitted elasticated sheets. These stay on all the time along with the fitted sheet to the main mattress.
The extension cushions, plus pillows and duvet stay on the bed when travelling , then at night, drop bed, pull out extensions, place cushions on and go up the pull out steps to bed !
This could be specific to the mechanism of the Frankia bed, but there's plenty of room for everything on the bed when stowed away.....can't comment on other makes 'cos we stopped looking when we found the Frankia.
Regards, Rob.
We have exactly the same set up in our Frankia I 650sd, two minutes to set up when drop bed, all bedding fits easily when bed raised for daytime, massive bed, no climbing over each other if you need to get up in the night.😊

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
We have exactly the same set up in our Frankia I 650sd, two minutes to set up when drop bed, all bedding fits easily when bed raised for daytime, massive bed, no climbing over each other if you need to get up in the night.😊
"Need to get up in the night"

I hope this is not going to become another toilet thread:censored:

Geoff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Well we've bought the Hymer with bed extensions. Just one more query. Do people use a shaped duvet, a full duvet, or two single duvets?

Upvote 0

Rob1562

Free Member
Mar 20, 2021
Funster No
MH
Frankia i7400 plus
I guess its down to personal choice....we use separate duvets 'cos it stops the missus nicking all the duvet in the night !

Regards, Rob.

Upvote 0

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Well we've bought the Hymer with bed extensions. Just one more query. Do people use a shaped duvet, a full duvet, or two single duvets?
Shaped duvet made by Bodymould Mattresses in Rusper, West Sussex. From order to delivery would have been about a week, but we were away so delayed the delivery. Excellent product, price and service.

Steve

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer b654 1994
Anybody got one of these?
See them on some Hymers. Are they ok, or a pain to get into?
Hi I’m new to this forum, please could you send me the link for where to get this extension fitted to a hymer 654 (1994) please? Or even whether anyone knows if this is possible please? We had seen it done on a hymer that was being sold before we got ours a few weeks ago and now can’t find it to be able to enquire with them directly. Hope that all makes sense and someone is able to offer me any advice

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
I would have thought it would be a factory fit from new, unless you handy at diy and make it yourself

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Sure to be factory fit only. There are metal runners that slide into the bed framework, also there are load bearing anch points on the ceiling to support the extensions with straps.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• Back