Fridge not reaching temp on gas (but does outside of van!!) (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

CharlottesVan

Free Member
Jul 13, 2024
Funster No
MH
VW T25
Hi, I’ve recently bought a VW T25 which has a 3 way Electrolux fridge inside. The 12v and 22OV work well, and the pilot light ingnited easily and cooled a little but would go below 15degrees (freezer part went much colder). I removed the unit, cleaned the flu, the jets, turned the unit (it gurgled) and did everything I could read about fixing the problem. Bought a spare gas bottle inside my house and relit it …. Bingo, it was 5 degrees within 4 hours 👏👏👏 I was pretty chuffed to say the least. Just put it back inside the van …. And the bloody thing wasn’t cooling down again!!! So, I’ve just removed the little plastic holed flu cover on the outside of the van as I felt it was possibly restricting the heat loss (it was siting pretty flush to the external grate) and it’s dropped to 10 degree over night). This is better but still not great. What else could I try ??? The only other variable that I can think of is that I used a different gas bottle and gas pipe whilst inside the house when it dropped to 5 degrees quickly. Surely that wouldn’t make a difference Any suggestions greatly appreciated…. Thank you x

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Have you checked the heat transfer compound on the back of the fins?

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
If you think it’s an airflow problem, would a little fan help? Many posts about them on here.

OP
OP
C

CharlottesVan

Free Member
Jul 13, 2024
Funster No
MH
VW T25

No,thank you, I’ll give that a go ☺️

poppycamper

Visiting Coventry
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》

If that's what is wrong... how did it work outside van.... No I also think airflow, or lack of it.👍👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Another plus for fridge fans, however if the fridge is defective it won't solve the problem.
What you've described sounds more like an issue with the fridge not able to 'lose' heat, via air circulation, so a fan might be a solution?

Also running it inside your house might not have been a wise idea.....

OP
OP
C

CharlottesVan

Free Member
Jul 13, 2024
Funster No
MH
VW T25
Another plus for fridge fans, however if the fridge is defective it won't solve the problem.
What you've described sounds more like an issue with the fridge not able to 'lose' heat, via air circulation, so a fan might be a solution?

Also running it inside your house might not have been a wise idea.....
Thanks, I’m thinking the air circulation is possibly the issue, although it was perfectly safe inside my house, ran it for 4 hours only (I was present) windows all open, and a Carbon Monoxide detector in the room.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Check if the pipe exiting the fins on the left hand side (it was left on ours) is not too hot. It's usually warm but if it's still hot same as the other end there can't be enough air flow. It should work fine in UK temperatures.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Hi Charlotte. Try using an ordinary domestic fan on the back of the fridge( away from the burner) and see if that improves the situation.
If it does then you can try the large computer cooling vans off e bay .it should be easy to fit a couple top and bottom of your fridge housing to improve the air flow . They don't use much power.
Good luck.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
And you only get 5 free posts .... So it WILL be worthwhile you joining for all sorts of reasons ...👍

May 21, 2019
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
Assuming the gas being used is the same type, sounds like a flame size issue due to poor gas pressure/ restriction when in the van . Poor airflow when installed in the van would affect the EHU operation as well.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
A fridge should work in UK temperatures in my opinion. So I would want to sort the main issue out before fitting fans etc, then only for it not to be able to work properly when you get somewhere warm, or if the sun ever comes out in the UK.

If it worked ok in the house, but not the van, there must be a difference. Where the gas regulators the same pressure? More gas pressure = bigger flame = more heat = better fridge.

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
A fridge should work in UK temperatures in my opinion. So I would want to sort the main issue out before fitting fans etc, then only for it not to be able to work properly when you get somewhere warm, or if the sun ever comes out in the UK.

If it worked ok in the house, but not the van, there must be a difference. Where the gas regulators the same pressure? More gas pressure = bigger flame = more heat = better fridge.
That would be my logic.
Is van reg gummed up?
Its a vw t so usually small gas compartment or the camping gaz type. Is bottle low? Is reg low down and possibly full or restricted with gas pipe residue. If it works on 240 and 12v and now works on gas outside van then finger points to van

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back