Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
800 miles in and we’re in Chenonceaux, hoping to go up in a hot air balloon tomorrow if we can talk the kids into it🙏🏼😂
The old girl drove amazingly well and the cruise control was a treat on such a long run.
Question re French Tolls, I’ve noticed we’ve been getting spanked as a Class 3 - I think technically we are, though have heard of people challenging this saying it’s their tv aeriel/satellite etc on the roof that’s taking them over the height and getting let through as a class 2.
Has anyone done this or have experience of doing so?
We took a wrong turn at a service station and ended up on a toll which we had to pay only to turn back round🙈😂. We did explain on the ‘help’ button but they they weren’t very ‘helpful’
Thanks

IMG_8269.jpeg

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
800 miles in and we’re in Chenonceaux, hoping to go up in a hot air balloon tomorrow if we can talk the kids into it🙏🏼😂
The old girl drove amazingly well and the cruise control was a treat on such a long run.
Question re French Tolls, I’ve noticed we’ve been getting spanked as a Class 3 - I think technically we are, though have heard of people challenging this saying it’s their tv aeriel/satellite etc on the roof that’s taking them over the height and getting let through as a class 2.
Has anyone done this or have experience of doing so?
We took a wrong turn at a service station and ended up on a toll which we had to pay only to turn back round🙈😂. We did explain on the ‘help’ button but they they weren’t very ‘helpful’
Thanks

View attachment 929475

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
My previous post seems to have gone walk-about. Just to say the French club for motorhomes and caravaners negotiated a flat Class 2 rate for all MoHos even if overheight (and provide a special tag for their members to ensure this) but the principle is there so try asking nicely. You might have been unlucky with the operator that time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We’re just under 3 mtr but over 3500kg so class three. That’s why we dont use the toll roads,

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'm 3.1 metres with the aircon , on recent trip down the east side of France the Toll Tag worked faultlessly , when moved over the Western side of the country on 4 occasions the Tag refused to work and we had to press the help button and explain we were a camping car class 2
Every time they obliged without hesitation

Upvote 1
Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
When we had our Burstner A747 we used to press the help button and say:

Camping car classe 2 s'il vous plaît

Worked 90% of the time and makes a huge difference.

Personally I think all uk vehicles should be exempt from paying road tolls in France, after all, we don’t charge them anything when they come here 🤔😲

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Personally I think all uk vehicles should be exempt from paying road tolls in France, after all, we don’t charge them anything when they come here 🤔😲
But apart from the M6 toll and some bridges and tunnels we don't have tolls, nor does Germany so should they also not pay, I'm sure that will go down well with the French 😀

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
But apart from the M6 toll and some bridges and tunnels we don't have tolls, nor does Germany so should they also not pay, I'm sure that will go down well with the French 😀

But we pay a Road Tax to use our roads.
Thanks for reminding me, yes German cars should also not pay although they do charge a road tax for hgv’s. 😀😀😀😀😀

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
But we pay a Road Tax to use our roads.
Thanks for reminding me, yes German cars should also not pay although they do charge a road tax for hgv’s. 😀😀😀😀😀
So do the French I believe.... perhaps it should just be free for EU citizens 🤔

Upvote 0
Jun 19, 2018
Perth Scotland
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
How on earth would the system know what you weigh. There are no weigh bridges there; especially in front of the drive=through barriers.
Surely Angles Morts will announce this quite loudly! Pretty sure that was the reason we were charged Class 3 on every toll we used this year. “Camping Car Class Deux” por favor didn’t cut it lol.

Upvote 0

DandJ

Free Member
Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet

If the A747 was over 3.5t, wouldn't that effectively be fraud? Lying to get a cheaper toll payment

Upvote 1

DandJ

Free Member
Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
See post #5
I'd seen that...but can't find any reference to it and the Autoroute.fr and sanef website simply state...Over 3.5t..class 3. (Not that it actually concerns me) Might be handy for owners of +3.5t to be able to access the site that shows the agreement ?

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
If the A747 was over 3.5t, wouldn't that effectively be fraud? Lying to get a cheaper toll payment

I was just asking the question, they decide the answer 😉😉

The Motorhome we have now is less than 3mtrs high, is 7mtrs long but uprated to 3.7t. It goes through all the tolls as class 2. Do you think I should press the button and try to explain in my best euro grunt that I’m not being charged enough 😧😲😧😟

Upvote 0

DandJ

Free Member
Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet

The Motorhome we have now is less than 3mtrs high, is 7mtrs long but uprated to 3.7t. It goes through all the tolls as class 2. Do you think I should press the button and try to explain in my best euro grunt that I’m not being charged enough 😧😲😧😟
Not quite you typed above....

Upvote 0
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.

My missus would. :LOL:

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

There was no statement about weight nor height, only a request which could be acceded to denied. So no fraud.

Upvote 0

DandJ

Free Member
Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
There was no statement about weight nor height, only a request which could be acceded to denied. So no fraud.
We'd have to agree to disagree on this. My understanding of the classification on autoroutes is a class two is sub 3m high and sub 3.5t. Someone with a 3.7t+ van makes the statement/request "Motorhome class 2 please" (but in french)...and when describing it states that it 'works 90% of the time'....So was he asking the toll operator if he was class 2 or stating it? I somehow doubt the person at the end of the phone would know one way or another by looking at a small CCTV screen.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back