french speeding tickets - ask your MEP? (1 Viewer)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I wonder if the French have a freedom of information act where they can be asked how many speeding tickets have been issued to French, German, Spanish, Dutch and English registered vehicles during the last 6 months .....

I have just sent this to my MEP - it might be helpful if everyone did the same?

ps - I havent been issued with a ticket !!!!

Good morning. is there a freedom of information act in Europe please, specifically in France?

I am a member of several camping, caravanning and motorhome forums. recently there seems to be a spate of speeding tickets being issued to UK tourists.

Is there a way to find out the numbers of speeding tickets issued to French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Belgian and English registered vehicles in the last months, to see if the law is being applied fairly. I am not advocating speeding and understand the need to reduce accidents but I would like to know if the law is being applied consistently.

I look forward to your response

Mr ..................

postcode added !!

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
The issue as I see it is, if there is a freedom of info and you receive a response no matter what the answer it will tell you very little, other than an absolute number. You will be unaware of significant data to make a judgement. For example a key "need to know" is what percentage of drivers are UK (unable to distinguish English vehicles) -v- total number of drivers in France. What percentage of fines issued are to UK drivers -v- all other nationalities whilst driving in France.

My view is if a fine is issued then the limit was exceeded and should just be sucked up and paid. Can be avoided by not exceeding the limit, if angels exist :)

Mick

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
my suggestion should be changed to UK registered vehicles NOT English, OOPS!!

I am not suggesting speeding should not be dealt with and don't advocate it

BUT, what f there were 2000 speeding violations enforced against UK drivers and none against for instance, Belgian, Dutch vehicles. would that tell a story ?

but thanks for trying to suggest that citizens should not be given information they wouldn't know how to interpret ...... I am sure the yellow vests are just being petulant aswell ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Didn't realise there was a conspiracy theory that English drivers are being issued with more tickets than anyone else!!!!!!

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Didn't realise there was a conspiracy theory that English drivers are being issued with more tickets than anyone else!!!!!!

we may never know, (especially if we don't ask the question) but the answer IS out there ...

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
we may never know, (especially if we don't ask the question) but the answer IS out there ...
I think it would be better to ask if we are chasing up payment by foreign vehicles speeding on our roads to the same extent I bet the powers that be aren't able to organise it.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I think it would be better to ask if we are chasing up payment by foreign vehicles speeding on our roads to the same extent I bet the powers that be aren't able to organise it.

'We' apparently decided it wasn't viable - yet another area where our politicians are currently dissapointing their constituents.

The only solace that can be derived IMO is that at least they are accountable to us and doubtless some heads will roll come the next election.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp

I look forward to seeing your draft letter to your MP, but thanks telling me what you think 'we' should do, I have chosen to do what I think I should do ....... and have ACTUALLY done it not just thought about doing it ...

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I wonder if the French have a freedom of information act where they can be asked how many speeding tickets have been issued to French, German, Spanish, Dutch and English registered vehicles during the last 6 months .....

I have just sent this to my MEP - it might be helpful if everyone did the same?

ps - I havent been issued with a ticket !!!!

Good morning. is there a freedom of information act in Europe please, specifically in France?

I am a member of several camping, caravanning and motorhome forums. recently there seems to be a spate of speeding tickets being issued to UK tourists.

Is there a way to find out the numbers of speeding tickets issued to French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Belgian and English registered vehicles in the last months, to see if the law is being applied fairly. I am not advocating speeding and understand the need to reduce accidents but I would like to know if the law is being applied consistently.

I look forward to your response

Mr ..................

postcode added !!

I doubt very much whether their cameras are set up to persecute a single nation. The French Prime Minister set out his stall last year to try and get more money from motorists under the thinly veiled excuse of 'envrironment'.
The Gilet Jaunes main complaint was that yet again they are being used as a cash cow.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I doubt very much whether their cameras are set up to persecute a single nation. The French Prime Minister set out his stall last year to try and get more money from motorists under the thinly veiled excuse of 'envrironment'.
The Gilet Jaunes main complaint was that yet again they are being used as a cash cow.

someone, somewhere makes a decision, whether it be setting up the process or interpreting the information from the cameras or just plainly deciding who should be issued with the fine.

I don't advocate speeding, I haven't been issued with a ticket/fine. I just wanted to ask is the law being applied fairly, but it seems as there are some who don't believe the question should even be asked

there are others who seem to actually know the correct answer based on their opinion ....

Reactions: GPW
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
someone, somewhere makes a decision, whether it be setting up the process or interpreting the information from the cameras or just plainly deciding who should be issued with the fine.

I don't advocate speeding, I haven't been issued with a ticket/fine. I just wanted to ask is the law being applied fairly, but it seems as there are some who don't believe the question should even be asked

there are others who seem to actually know the correct answer based on their opinion ....
I just find it hard to believe that the French Police are separating the UK vehicle offences for special treatment. Most of the cars that are passing me in France tend to be French.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Are there any Funsters who can read and understand French, German, and Dutch (for example), who may be able to view Motorhoming or transport forums of those countries mentioned, to try and ascertain if their nationals have been subjected to similar fines in France?
The results might give us a better idea if it's just a simple case that many of us (regardless of nationality), have simply fallen foul of the new lower speed limits. :(

I'd genuinely like to think that Brits weren't soley being targeted, but would be right peed off, if that was proven not to be the case. :mad:

Jock.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I just find it hard to believe that the French Police are separating the UK vehicle offences for special treatment. Most of the cars that are passing me in France tend to be French.
But, as a scenario, what if they are prioritising UK offences in front of a possible no-deal B****t? They'll get their own drivers soon enough but are targetting us right now.?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Another conspiracy theory?

We’ve been through plenty of speed cameras and radar traps in both UK and French registered vehicles. I haven’t had any tickets, but then again I keep below the speed limit.

We were at La ROCHE Sur Yon a couple if days ago. Gendarmes has a radar gun set up on a roundabout and they had pulled about 9 cars onto the roundabout.

Surprisingly, there were no UK registered vehicles among them.

I don’t know what their brief is, but I guess it was to stop speeding motorists.

I can’t see why anybody would think UK vehicles are being targeted.

The French, and probably every other country in the world, aren’t really interested in the UK leaving the EU despite people wanting to believe they are.

They French don’t really care.....

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The French, and probably every other country in the world, aren’t really interested in the UK leaving the EU despite people wanting to believe they are.

They French don’t really care.....
And I would like to think that you are "bang on the button" there Allan.............honestly. :)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

'We' apparently decided it wasn't viable - yet another area where our politicians are currently dissapointing their constituents.

It is because the UK wishes to prosecute the actual driver ,fine them & add points whereas all the other countries just send it to the registered keeper & are only interested in the money.
the UK wishes to have the cake, eat it & ban you..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back