French Requirement Re Winter Tyres or Sock/Chains When Crossing Alps (1 Viewer)

Jul 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMCI 680
Quick Query please Funsters and stupid question incoming,

We have a 4.5T A Class MoHo which we used to spend 3 month in Europe back in the beginning of February 2023. Weather was great when we crossed over from France (bottom end of the Pyrenees) into Spain via San Sebastian North West of Spain and had no problems. Even when we ‘accidentally' drove up to the peak of the Picos De Europa at about 1,900 metres :eek:.

Going back home at the beginning of May we crossed through the middle by Jaca using the Somport Tunnel. Also a great drive and no snow. Spanish side easy and big new roads, French side a little more winding and picturesque but still great.

We are looking to do a similar trip this February (around 7th) and are thinking about travelling over to the east side of France and crossing over from France to Northern Spain via La Jonquera (Perpignon to Girona). Worth mentioning we are never in any rush and always stay off of any toll or major motorways if we can help it as find the scenic routes much better for our needs and we were really looking to avoid the tolls on the French side of that crossing and use the D900/N11 instead of the A9/AP7.

Two queries really;
  • Has anyone used the D900 crossing rather than the A9 and is it relatively easy or like anything, does it really depend on the weather i.e. snow ? For those that have gone that route, would it be far more advisable to just use the motorway and not mess around with the more scenic route?

• Secondly we have all season Continental Van Contact Camper tyres that have the mountain symbol with the snowflake in the middle and M+S marked on them as well as the rain, sun, leaf and snowflake - the latter I am guessing suggesting the all weather nature of the tyre. Reading on the French guidance site they state that in the winter months you must have either snow chains/socks OR winter tyres with the M+S symbol on them when driving in mountainous areas and specifically the Pyrenees. In relation to HGV’s and at 4.5T we are classed as a Private HGV, the same rule applies as long as not drawing a trailer otherwise it’s snowchains only. Is my understanding correct then (weather permitting and it not blowing a blizzard) that we can cross on the La Jonquera side without needing to purchase some snow chains/socks to throw in the boot of the van. Albeit I guess always worth having them on the off chance.

Thanks all in advance.

tempImageFCvanp.jpg
IMG_0449.jpeg

OP
OP
L
Jul 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMCI 680
Your tyres are fine it is the 3peaks symbol on them that is required.
Thanks Lenny. Just did some further research on the tyre and as you say I think, the mountain symbol is classed as the 3PMSF marking. I know from some of your previous posts you have driven around a fair amount, have you ever crossed over on that east side around Feb/winter time by any chance?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks Lenny. Just did some further research on the tyre and as you say I think, the mountain symbol is classed as the 3PMSF marking. I know from some of your previous posts you have driven around a fair amount, have you ever crossed over on that east side around Feb/winter time by any chance?
Been via the Aragnouet-Bielsa tunnel in February roads were clear but plenty of snow at the side of the road on the French side.

Approach to the tunnel.
1704379602815.jpeg

Mar 9, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Dakota ’14
Exp
Just come down the D900 to La Jonquera this week in our 4.5T Autotrail. We have the same tyres as you.
No snow this week and no problems, the road is fine and easy, a little twisty in a few places but easy driving.

I do carry snowchains in a box somewhere but have never used them and never been asked for them!

OP
OP
L
Jul 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMCI 680
Just come down the D900 to La Jonquera this week in our 4.5T Autotrail. We have the same tyres as you.
No snow this week and no problems, the road is fine and easy, a little twisty in a few places but easy driving.

I do carry snowchains in a box somewhere but have never used them and never been asked for them!
Thanks Iain,

Just the reassurance I was looking for. Will keep an eye on the weather, but if it doesn’t change then will look to do that road for the crossing.

Safe travels and enjoy.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!