Foam for storage and shelf packing etc? (1 Viewer)

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
What is the foam that's often used to make shelf storage and packing called and does anyone know of a good source please?
Its the foam which is 'silvery' in colour and 'firm' if you understand what I mean!
We are re jigging the storage in the MH and want to make new packing's for pots and pans and glasses etc!
Incidently does anyone know of a good discussion on here around good internal storage tips and tricks please?

TIA

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have made good use of this stuff for separating glasses and cups and in a drawer, all the food jars and bottles. Cut to size with scissors.
Edit having trouble with the links so here’s a pic
545A35D0-764E-4FC6-8416-BB7487B55349.png

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
We collect TeaTowels as souvenirs from the places we go to.
We have a lot and I'm not really sure what they're for ;)
but they are useful to put around 'clinky' things.

Some street markets sell foam of all sorts and sizes.
They could probably tell you what it's called, too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I just shove everthing in and it all settles down & stops rattling after a few miles - life's to short to pack plates, cups etc.

My van crockery is Churchill hotel ware, it all gets shoved in a plastic box along with the choping boards and plastic beer & wine glasses. Not broken anything yet.

If rattles are persistent, turn the radio up:)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
If it rattles it's means I've actually managed to get away on another trip, which is becoming rarer and rarer these days :(

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
For delicate glasses etc you could use socks (new cheap one) as they keep them from clinking and getting chipped, for our mugs we have some plastic 'net' stuff that was used to protect the base of an office chair, it's a bit like the stuff you see round avocados etc in the shops but plastic rather than foam.

For pans we use layers of the anti-slip net matting in between them, for plates I use a 3-tier plate stacker to which I've fitted an elastic strap with a hook on the end which goes over them to keep stuff in place (paper plates make good buffers between plates etc), some oblong 'shelves on legs' with small crates on top for bits and bobs.

upload_2019-1-12_9-7-17.png

upload_2019-1-12_9-8-56.png

Food packets etc are in crates in the drawers like the below Curver one (36 x 30 x 13 cm) which I find are a good 'matched' size to the packets with no wasted space, several of them side by side keep stuff where it should be, obviously the size you can use will depend on your drawer size and what you want to put in it! Other food is stored in removable larger crates as it's much easier to take the crate out and rummage around rather than try to find it in a cupboard/locker (also makes it easier to do a 'stock take' by taking it into the house before a trip to make sure you've got what you need!

716LhDsOBLL._AC_SS350_.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Minxy Girl thanks for the socks tip! I was going to crochet something to stop the rattles but that is so much easier.
I have some 'baby' socks which my egg-cups go into as well. :D Socks can also be used for glass bottles (ie wine, gin etc) to stop them clinking.

I use baskets in the fridge too, it means that if I want something I can take the basket out and retrieve it rather than needing to have the fridge door open longer whilst I rummage round in there.

I also have some umbrella covers, the type you get on the telescopic ones that people tend to 'lose' which you can easily find when out walking :) ... these are ideal for small items - I keep pens in one and in my tool box my spanners are together in one, other tools in another, it means that if I want them I just grab the bag rather than have to try to find them in amongst all the other stuff, alternatively draw string glasses cases, old mobile phone 'sock' type holders work just as well. I also use soft bags/wash bags for socks, knickers, tights, etc ... basically anything that would benefit from being kept together, makes trying to keep stuff in cupboard/lockers much easier as it doesn't make a bid for freedom every time you open the door!

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
The Jam’s Greatest Hits seem to sort out my rattles.....:D

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If there aren’t any rattles it means you forgot to pack the beer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back