Jun 11, 2021
Pinner, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar 540
Exp
Since 2019
Hi
I have a redundant (no longer working) cheap flexible solar panel which is stuck hard and fast to the roof of my Globecar. We do also have a working solar panel fully connected and professionally installed.
As I have small eco flow power unit I was thinking of buying the eco flow 100w flexible solar panel and sticking this over the redundant panel and then when required directly connecting the eco flow solar through a sky light as an alternative source to charge up my eco flow.
Does this sound ok and would there be any issues if I were to stick the new EcoFlow solar directly on the redundant old one.
Thanks for any suggestions

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We put two flexible panels on this motorhome in March 2018 along with two gel batteries so 6 years old and cab battery is 7 years old, we live in it 6 months and it's in storage through the winter months, what's going to need replacing first. šŸ¤”šŸ˜

Our last motorhome I fitted the same flexible panels and they were still performing well after 5 years when we sold it. šŸ‘

I would not hesitate to fit them again, very light and do the job and being 3500kg every little helps. šŸ˜

ā˜€ļøā˜€ļøā˜€ļø Bob.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
i think the failure of flexible solar panels is due to them not being able to dissipate heat - i assume it could be ok if the surface they are stuck to is a metal roof, but no so on others.

i discussed the issue with a lot of sellers at last years solar and storage exhibition at the NEC, all of them were aware of the problem but most just shrugged their shoulders. a few of them however have tried to tackle it but they all agreed its an issue.

perhaps it becomes more of a problem when exposed to temperatures well above those we normally get in the UK and less of a problem when driving during the hottest part of the day?

i think i would go down the foldable panel route, and ignore the stuck down one if you cant fix an additional framed panel to the motorhome .... however i am sure your option of adding an additional panel over the top would work, but it seems a lot of faff and until plugged in, you wouldnt know if its working or not. At least with a foldable panel, you can park under some shade yet still put your panel out in full sun.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2011
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
Since 2002
I've used them for years on other vans. Yes you can stick them on another, but unless you need a flexi, cheese wire the other off and use a rigid. If you do fit a flexi do not seal it and do not stick it fully down as the heat will kill it again. Bed it on 2mm thick stripes of adhesive (after they are compressed) which are parallel to the air flow 2-3" apart.

A pattern like this but use adhesive not tape!
1709632424190.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jimjo
Jun 11, 2021
Pinner, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar 540
Exp
Since 2019
i think the failure of flexible solar panels is due to them not being able to dissipate heat - i assume it could be ok if the surface they are stuck to is a metal roof, but no so on others.

i discussed the issue with a lot of sellers at last years solar and storage exhibition at the NEC, all of them were aware of the problem but most just shrugged their shoulders. a few of them however have tried to tackle it but they all agreed its an issue.

perhaps it becomes more of a problem when exposed to temperatures well above those we normally get in the UK and less of a problem when driving during the hottest part of the day?

i think i would go down the foldable panel route, and ignore the stuck down one if you cant fix an additional framed panel to the motorhome .... however i am sure your option of adding an additional panel over the top would work, but it seems a lot of faff and until plugged in, you wouldnt know if its working or not. At least with a foldable panel, you can park under some shade yet still put your panel out in full sun.
Many thanks for your reply and suggestion- I probably will ultimately go for foldable panel šŸ‘

OP
OP
Jimjo
Jun 11, 2021
Pinner, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar 540
Exp
Since 2019
I've used them for years on other vans. Yes you can stick them on another, but unless you need a flexi, cheese wire the other off and use a rigid. If you do fit a flexi do not seal it and do not stick it fully down as the heat will kill it again. Bed it on 2mm thick stripes of adhesive (after they are compressed) which are parallel to the air flow 2-3" apart.

A pattern like this but use adhesive not tape! View attachment 871472
Many thanks - I think Iā€™m probably going to just go for a portable folding one for the eco flow - thanks anyway for the pics šŸ‘

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp

A pattern like this but use adhesive not tape! View attachment 871472

That's exactly what the companies at the solar and storage exhibition recommended in terms of adhesive in strips to allow heat dissipation. My suggestion was to place tile spacers in the adhesive to prevent it 'flattening' - I also suggested getting some if the plastic garden fencing, 5cm squares, cutting it into strips, laying them onto the roof then adding the adhesive
It's a similar process to tiling onto timber floors ....

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
Flexable panels are not good, other than the glue. Most fail within 5 years. I fitted similar sized and rated glass panels on top of the dealer fitted flexi panels together with the spacing brackets. All using Sicoflex, no screws, no holes. The original plan to remove the flexi panels was unrealistic. A handfull of friends have all had flexi panels fail.

Sep 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit Custom
Depressing to read. I need a flexible panel as Iā€™m very much height limited with my Transit Custom van. Itā€™s 2 and stopped working. Just zero output. 200w so I guess Iā€™ll take this as an opportunity to upgrade to a larger one. Iā€™m on a Renology 50A DC/DC rather than the old CTEC as in previous years so that helps. I did spend the winter disconnected and the cable ends taped up. I wonder if that didnā€™t help much? Ho hum.

Dec 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Many thanks - I think Iā€™m probably going to just go for a portable folding one for the eco flow - thanks anyway for the pics šŸ‘
The great pro of the flexible is that you can angle to the sun; late afternoon that makes a great difference. The con, of course, is that you have to stop and set it up. I have a nonflex on the roof and a foldable for the Ecoflow, and think that's a great combo.
btw I like the slide out panels on the Kaktus vans, though I see others roof mounts that tilt and that could be just as useful esp for winter touring.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Depressing to read. I need a flexible panel as Iā€™m very much height limited with my Transit Custom van. Itā€™s 2 and stopped working. Just zero output. 200w so I guess Iā€™ll take this as an opportunity to upgrade to a larger one. Iā€™m on a Renology 50A DC/DC rather than the old CTEC as in previous years so that helps. I did spend the winter disconnected and the cable ends taped up. I wonder if that didnā€™t help much? Ho hum.
I would try using the plastic grid idea under the panel if you have no other options and don't want a foldable one.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'd not fix panels to the roof for a power bank. I'd place the panels on the ground and at the best angle to the sun.
You can not only maximise your harvest that way (so don't need so much capacity) but also avoid any shading.
Should one fail, it's easier to replace.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
I'm another who ended up with a solar 'Lasagna' of 3 failed panels.
Eventually I painsakenly prised them off as there was water ingress under them, it turned out the original installer had used screws which rusted causing the leak. I was also concerned as my original wish to reduce weight was clearly stuffed by having them up there.
So like others I like the idea but experience tells me not to bother.

OP
OP
Jimjo
Jun 11, 2021
Pinner, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar 540
Exp
Since 2019
I'd not fix panels to the roof for a power bank. I'd place the panels on the ground and at the best angle to the sun.
You can not only maximise your harvest that way (so don't need so much capacity) but also avoid any shading.
Should one fail, it's easier to replace.
Thanks - makes sense

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
If you go for foldable see U tube ..not usually the panels that fail the material they are sewn into falls apart in sunlight quiet quickly with some(yet more high quality Chinese design and manufacture)

OP
OP
Jimjo
Jun 11, 2021
Pinner, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar 540
Exp
Since 2019
If you go for foldable see U tube ..not usually the panels that fail the material they are sewn into falls apart in sunlight quiet quickly with some(yet more high quality Chinese design and manufacture)
Will do - thanksšŸ‘

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
I have recently added portable solar and having done lots of research went with 2x120w rigid panels and 2 stainless steel hinges and a well recommend blue tooth mppt controller total cost circa Ā£160 lots of advantages over foldable flexible panels and not as hard to transport as many would at first think

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
Someone came to our stand at the NEC show and explained how he has 4 flexible panels glued in a stack. As each one fails he just glues another on top.
Thatā€™s not quite true, the well-known Central Midlands company did that. I thought it a bit weird, which is why I am coming to you next month to sort it out!

But itā€™s a good story.šŸ¤Ŗ. And you wonā€™t be putting on a flexible panel!!!!!!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
Some would say they have not learned from their mistakes!
Well yes, but I was told by them that taking off the bottom one, the only one at the time, would damage/destroy the roof. Iā€™m only a punter, I have to believe what an ā€œexpertā€ says!

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Well yes, but I was told by them that taking off the bottom one, the only one at the time, would damage/destroy the roof. Iā€™m only a punter, I have to believe what an ā€œexpertā€ says!
Was told the same when about to remove my 'Solar Lasagne ' (see post above).
In fact despite having to work at it quite energetically there was surprisingly little damage and that was sorted with a bit of gel coat.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+

A recommendation I have seen for fitting flexible panels is to use a vehicle wrap or PPF, and then stick it on.

The vinyl or PPF is easier to remove and protects the surface of the roof.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back