Fixing rear view mirror to windscreen (1 Viewer)

Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
My wife managed to knock her rear view mirror off the screen by accidentally bashing it with her steering lock. I've got some double sided sticky pads that I've used for dashcams but they weren't up to the job, the mirror is too heavy for them.

So I bought some two part mirror adhesive and tried that. It had an adhesive that you apply to one surface and a liquid actuator that you apply to the other. Then put together and hold for 40 seconds. Well, that didn't even get close to sticking it. The best it did was get mildly tacky.

I'm now thinking that I get an epoxy resin like JB Weld and try that. Alternatively it might make sense to take it to a windscreen repair place and ask them to do the job. They must be sticking loads of these on every day.

Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thank you.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
My wife managed to knock her rear view mirror off the screen by accidentally bashing it with her steering lock. I've got some double sided sticky pads that I've used for dashcams but they weren't up to the job, the mirror is too heavy for them.

So I bought some two part mirror adhesive and tried that. It had an adhesive that you apply to one surface and a liquid actuator that you apply to the other. Then put together and hold for 40 seconds. Well, that didn't even get close to sticking it. The best it did was get mildly tacky.

I'm now thinking that I get an epoxy resin like JB Weld and try that. Alternatively it might make sense to take it to a windscreen repair place and ask them to do the job. They must be sticking loads of these on every day.

Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thank you.
It's the first thing I always remove, never use it and cannot stand anything impeding my vision (the dashcam annoys me but in todays world is essential)
If your vehicle is a Fiat X250, you should be able to buy one or, if you want, I can bring one to any of the Fun rallies I am attending.
(not worth sending by post so send me a PM if needed and I can find it?)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Thornebt
Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
It's the first thing I always remove, never use it and cannot stand anything impeding my vision (the dashcam annoys me but in todays world is essential)
If your vehicle is a Fiat X250, you should be able to buy one or, if you want, I can bring one to any of the Fun rallies I am attending.
(not worth sending by post so send me a PM if needed and I can find it?)
Thank you for the offer. It's not for a motorhome though. It's for my wife's Daihatsu Copen.

Feb 10, 2017
Newcastle-under-Lyme
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2014
I’ve used this kit on a car years ago and it worked fine. They are a fiver from Halfords

Loctite Rear-view Mirror Adhesive Kit

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back