Fitting USB-C sockets-advice re fusing please. (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
On the driver’s side of the van (2012 Bailey 620 Approach) we have no USB sockets. The one 12v cigar lighter type socket is used for the TV and I don’t want to risk overloading that socket by adding a twin cigar socket and inserting a double USB-C socket in that.

I removed the Vision Plus aerial but retained the 12v power supply which is fused. I can’t recall the value of that fuse at the moment as the van is currently in storage. As the cupboard in which the aerial was located is on the driver’s side, I propose fitting a twin USB-C socket on the wardrobe wall and use the obsolete aerial power supply.
IMG_1737.png

This the socket I want and it says it recommends a 10amp fuse. If the current fuse for power supply is 10A will this suffice or should I add a further fuse? If it is only, say 5A, can I just replace this with a 10A?

Any other tips/advice on fitting this socket, most welcome! TIA.

Reactions: DBK

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Use a 5 amp, in the very unlikely event that it blows replace it with the 10amp.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I thought he meant the existing fuse was a 10amp.
I did mean that. Though I take Lenny HB ’s point that, if the fuse is only 5A, then the cable might be inadequate for the 6A draw. I will check this when next at the van.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Apart from being the most expensive USB socket in the world
They are expensive but I have faith in products supplied by 12v Planet. Most stuff like this is Chinese made and there are much cheaper UCB sockets available. Ya pays ya money…….👍

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Just looked at Vision Plus fitting instructions and they only rate it at 5A.

Power Supply
1. The Amplifier requires a 12-24 volt power
supply from a fused auxiliary outlet fed
from the battery. If wiring direct to a
battery we recommend an in-line fuse
(max 5 amp) on the positive wire. If
unsure please consult with a qualified
installer.

RED STRIPE +VE, BLACK –VE

So maybe I have to abandon the existing wiring from the Vision Plus and start again. PIA.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Does the OP really need a fully waterproof USB inside the vehicle?
Its horses...

I have cheapo sockets inside and a Scanstrut outside!

Tony
Maybe it’s an omen for my so-far damp free van. 🙂

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
When I go to the van in the week I’ll measure the diameter of the existing cabling provided for the Vision Plus. I’ll use my digital calipers and post the results. Maybe the wiring is acceptable for a 10A draw even though the Vision Plus was only fused for 5A. It would be so much easier to use the existing wiring rather than figure out how to wire and route a new spur to the leisure battery.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've recently gone down this route too and have the same concerns over current and, because I've bought cheapie ones, everything catching fire!

For those not sure what a USB socket is it looks like this, and yes, the cable isn't fully pushed in, but that's so you can see the size of it.

PXL_20240625_160920843.RAW-01.COVER (1).jpg

The cable has the same size plug at each end. Many will be familiar with USB cables with this size plug at the end which connects to the device but with the broader original USB plug at the other end. USB sockets use cables with the same sized plug at each end. The reason is because USB C sockets increase the charging voltage which would damage devices not designed for this, so the design is different to the traditional USB socket we are most familiar with.

USB devices communicate with the socket and can negotiate an increased voltage. The standard can go up to 48 volts I believe but I don't think my phone or tablet is going to ask for that. Realistically, 20 volts and 5A should be the absolute maximum, more likely much less but this maximum is 100W so a 12 volt supply should be able to provide up to 8A or so and I've taken this as the basis for the installation. The socket I've fitted can take two cables so possibly the current might reach 16A but I'm not planning to charge two devices at the same time and I suspect my cheapie socket couldn't deliver that anyway.

The socket is fitted where there was originally a cigar lighter fed by fairly hefty cables.

I'm going to add an in-line fuse and measure the current in the 12 volt feed but so far the socket appears to be working. At the bottom of the screenshot it says "charging rapidly" which indicates the socket has increased the charging voltage.

I'm not sure what Mrs DBK will think of the glowing Bad Robot face in the middle of the night - I suspect I'm going to he turning it off.

Screenshot_20240625-170621.jpg

PXL_20240625_160709901.RAW-01.COVER (1).jpg

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
I've recently gone down this route too and have the same concerns over current and, because I've bought cheapie ones, everything catching fire!

For those not sure what a USB socket is it looks like this, and yes, the cable isn't fully pushed in, but that's so you can see the size of it.

View attachment 917174

The cable has the same size plug at each end. Many will be familiar with USB cables with this size plug at the end which connects to the device but with the broader original USB plug at the other end. USB sockets use cables with the same sized plug at each end. The reason is because USB C sockets increase the charging voltage which would damage devices not designed for this, so the design is different to the traditional USB socket we are most familiar with.

USB devices communicate with the socket and can negotiate an increased voltage. The standard can go up to 48 volts I believe but I don't think my phone or tablet is going to ask for that. Realistically, 20 volts and 5A should be the absolute maximum, more likely much less but this maximum is 100W so a 12 volt supply should be able to provide up to 8A or so and I've taken this as the basis for the installation. The socket I've fitted can take two cables so possibly the current might reach 16A but I'm not planning to charge two devices at the same time and I suspect my cheapie socket couldn't deliver that anyway.

The socket is fitted where there was originally a cigar lighter fed by fairly hefty cables.

I'm going to add an in-line fuse and measure the current in the 12 volt feed but so far the socket appears to be working. At the bottom of the screenshot it says "charging rapidly" which indicates the socket has increased the charging voltage.

I'm not sure what Mrs DBK will think of the glowing Bad Robot face in the middle of the night - I suspect I'm going to he turning it off.

View attachment 917175

View attachment 917176
By cigar socket do you mean that or the power supply type socket, look very similar but power socket usually 140watts or I have seen 180w ones, think cigar would be more like 60 to 100w ones. What size is the fuse that feeds the original socket?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014

View attachment 917174

View attachment 917175

View attachment 917176
Your USB A (the bigger one) is also able to charge at a higher voltage. QC3 is Quick Charge 3 👌⚡
Screenshot_20240630_155438_Opera.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I think this web page will describe the power delivery of USB socket type capabilities as well as most.

My choice would be for the type with two PD (Power Delivery) USB C sockets and one QC 3.0 (Quick Charge) USB A sockets preferably NOT with blue lighting if possible.

Assuming the quoted figures on the Amazon advert for the triple outlet version are correct the maximum current drawn with all three sockets in use should not exceed 8.5Amps (ballpark, rounded figures)

The supplying cable size can be calculated at this page of the 12v Planet website. Remember that the -ve (chassis ground) connection length has to be included in this calculation.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think this web page will describe the power delivery of USB socket type capabilities as well as most.

My choice would be for the type with two PD (Power Delivery) USB C sockets and one QC 3.0 (Quick Charge) USB A sockets preferably NOT with blue lighting if possible.

Assuming the quoted figures on the Amazon advert for the triple outlet version are correct the maximum current drawn with all three sockets in use should not exceed 8.5Amps (ballpark, rounded figures)

The supplying cable size can be calculated at this page of the 12v Planet website. Remember that the -ve (chassis ground) connection length has to be included in this calculation.
That page is out of date I think as it doesn't mention USB C where the charging voltage can be increased above 5 volts. USB C is more than just a different sized plug.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Where did you get this socket from, please? I need to get some extra USBs in my MH, too :)
I just did a Google search for "12 volt USB C sockets" and chose the Thlevel model - see screenshot below. I don't think I can really recommend them as it's only been fitted a few days. It seems to work but for how long remains to be seen. :)

We are off to France in a couple of months and that will be the first proper test.

Screenshot_20240630-200926.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I just did a Google search for "12 volt USB C sockets" and chose the Thlevel model - see screenshot below. I don't think I can really recommend them as it's only been fitted a few days. It seems to work but for how long remains to be seen. :)

We are off to France in a couple of months and that will be the first proper test.

Thank you so much! I tried searching on Amazon but those didn't come up at all. I really like the look of them. Thanks :) x

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back