Fitting a replacement wiper arm (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
Whilst on holiday in Portugal this autumn the left most wiper on our Hymer 654 went for an excursion off the side of the windscreen and didn’t return! When I removed it there were no splines left inside the wiper arm and plenty of aluminium in the grooves of the splines on the spindle so I left it off, blanked off the washer pipe and we continued our holiday without it, it doesn’t make too much difference to the driver as the two remaining wipers clear most of the windscreen. However, back in the UK so time to replace it.

I bought a new arm from a local Volvo dealer and went to fit it this afternoon. It’s identical to the damaged one except that I was expecting to find splines inside the new arm’s socket but there are none – the inside of the socket is smooth. So now I’m thinking my understanding of how these work (or are fitted) is wrong. Perhaps the internal splines are formed as the arm is tightened onto the splines of the splindle – is that correct? If so I would imagine I have to very careful with the alignment as I tighten it down.

A further question. The current wiper blades are a mixture of sizes. One is 50 cm, one around 51 cm and another a little longer at 53 cm. The distance between the spindles that the wiper arms fit on is 53 cm so I guess I should be fitting three 50 cm wiper blades all across to ensure there’s no danger of accidental contact.

IMG_5002.jpg

Dec 13, 2013
peterborough
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
just started
I think that there is nylon or similar plastic that makes the splines when you bolt down, changed mine a few years ago, it has been fine. If it is the same as my B544 2006 the arm on the drivers side is longer than the other two.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
On the size question, fit the biggest blades that work on your glass. I changed our old Ducato ones for about 2" longer and got more clean screen.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
The spindle holes are different sizes/bores.
The new one is considerably bigger than the original
I measured them, they're the same size. The distortion comes from the way I photographed them
Perhaps the spindle is tapered?
Yes, it's 1.1 mm dia one the one side and 0.8 mm dia on the other
I think that there is nylon or similar plastic that makes the splines when you bolt down, changed mine a few years ago, it has been fine. If it is the same as my B544 2006 the arm on the drivers side is longer than the other two.
There isn't a plastic insert with the new arm and I've had the other two arms off as well - no plastic insert. Direct metal to metal contact. I assume the spindle on the van side is steel and is aluminium on the arm so if there's any wear it occurs on the arm.

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
My three arms are the same size (and same Volvo part no.)

Jun 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B514SL Gold ed
Exp
Fairly new to motorhome started early 2019
I have just had the same to happen to me in France with drivers side arm coming off and before I could stop it would appear that the inside of the arm spindle is smooth. Went to a FIAT parts shop and they could order one for £57 !!! SO I am thinking of improving the grip on the existing, maybe a little sand or tiny grit aside the spindle and then tighten down on the taper, or continue a search online.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back