Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 15, 2022
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
1 year and a bit
Hi, A lot of posts are people seeking advice on buying a motorhome but mine is the opposite.
I’ve never sold a motorhome before.
Any ideas on the best options, any pros & cons?
Is there a brokerage, like for a boat?
Will dealers who advertise “vans wanted” actually look to buy, if so what sort of margin would they be looking to make?
Part-ex, not really an option as we would be looking for a caravan for around 1/2 of the price.
Ad on here or autotrader, how would people feel about handing over £50k to a total stranger with no come back?
Any comments or pointers appreciated.
Thanks

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Hi, A lot of posts are people seeking advice on buying a motorhome but mine is the opposite.
Will dealers who advertise “vans wanted” actually look to buy, if so what sort of margin would they be looking to make?
Part-ex, not really an option as we would be looking for a caravan for around 1/2 of the price.
Ad on here or autotrader, how would people feel about handing over £50k to a total stranger with no come back?
Thanks
We once traded a motorhome for a caravan under half the price. Got a decent trade in and a cheque for the balance.

OP
OP
Sneds
Aug 15, 2022
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
1 year and a bit
Currently my prefered option:) and a ready made customer base.
Just thinking about alternatives and maybe something I hadn’t thought of

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Motorhome Depot - sell for you. Varies on postcode.

Simon at Select
Motorhomes has purchased from Funsters for minimum fuss.

Otherwise eBay and marketplace have worked for me in the past.

OP
OP
Sneds
Aug 15, 2022
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
1 year and a bit
Will take a look at Motorhome Depot and may call Select as well.
Not in a rush but good options to explore

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I've always used Motorhome Depot. They are totally professional and it takes all the hasle with tinewasters away. Tried on here a few times but to many dreamers. Good luck

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Thanks
With ours dealers wouldn't buy outright (well it is a Bailey) they will however take your van and attempt to sell with a a mark up.
We wanted &60k for ours, a dealer took it and marked it up to £68k, it didn't sell after 2 months so we took it back.
Next time we might sell we will advertise it ourselfs at the price we would be happy with which of couse would be well below a dealers price.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Motorhome Depot sold ours for us. We may have got more selling ourselves but circumstances meant a broker took away a lot of the hassle. I would use them again both to sell and to buy.

OP
OP
Sneds
Aug 15, 2022
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
1 year and a bit
With ours dealers wouldn't buy outright (well it is a Bailey) they will however take your van and attempt to sell with a a mark up.
We wanted &60k for ours, a dealer took it and marked it up to £68k, it didn't sell after 2 months so we took it back.
Next time we might sell we will advertise it ourselfs at the price we would be happy with which of couse would be well below a dealers price.
Same van as ours, Autograph 79-4 that always seems to receive positive comments from neighbours when we pitch up.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Same van as ours, Autograph 79-4 that always seems to receive positive comments from neighbours when we pitch up.
Agree. They do look the part. We love the space and the layout. However, ours must have been a Friday build as the quality of fit and finish is to be desired. Even with inferior quality materials at least it could be fitted better, imo in ours.
What year is yours?

OP
OP
Sneds
Aug 15, 2022
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
1 year and a bit
2017 45,000 miles, well serviced and no complaints
Everything works and in place, recently did around 1000miles around France in two weeks and didn’t miss a beat.
just thinking about selling at the moment as we love the van but after two years think a caravan may suit our needs better?
We can always sell the caravan and switch back if not!

Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
I would say that there is a fair chance you can trade in against a less costly caravan. The market for caravans is very sluggish. That for motorhomes less so. So it may suit both you and the dealer that he shifts a slow selling caravan and has something more readily saleable on his books in exchange. All the more so if you are buying a new caravan and the dealer has a commitment to take in new 2025 stock on the horizon.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I advertised it on Auto trader and sold it to a dealer just under the asking price. I could have got more selling to a private buyer but the sale to a dealer was stress free, compared with strangers looking at the van

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
No longer have one
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
We sold via Simon Select . He took care of everything for us and it sold quickly at a realistic price. Very happy with the process

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back