First service (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Our 2022 Ducato Motorhome is coming up for its first service (not habitation). I've been quoted £700 by a Fiat Professional agent but my local commercial servicing agent has quoted only £130 plus parts for the first service. I guess oil etc is well over £100 but it's still quite a big difference. I'm sorely tempted to go with this and if there are any warranty issues identified then I still have time to get them done under warranty. As far as I'm aware however there are no issues. What do other people do for their first service?

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
May depend on warranty stipulation for first few years? Or is that old news now? Ie Recognised dealer to retain warranty.
You could ask for a list of works from each garage?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The Fiat Professional workshop I use offers a basic low miles service and at 2 year intervals a bigger service. The OP didn't say how many miles his Benimar has done. The downside of using an independent garage is that the service won't be recorded on Fiat's database. That might be relevant in some circumstances e.g. if the service booklet is lost.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Although you can maintain the warranty by using any vat registered garage providing they use genuine parts in the event of a claim I suspect it's going to be more hassle getting them to accept any responsibility and reduce the chance of getting a goodwill contribution to any out of warranty but low mileage/ newish vehicle issues. Have you tried a quote from another dealer?

plug

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2022
West Kingsdown, UK
Funster No
MH
tracker eks
Exp
Our 2022 Ducato Motorhome is coming up for its first service (not habitation). I've been quoted £700 by a Fiat Professional agent but my local commercial servicing agent has quoted only £130 plus parts for the first service. I guess oil etc is well over £100 but it's still quite a big difference. I'm sorely tempted to go with this and if there are any warranty issues identified then I still have time to get them done under warranty. As far as I'm aware however there are no issues. What do other people do for their first service?
My ducato is 2 yrs old in June 24 and has only done 3500miles, I have just had the oil and filter changed by the RAC this year as the 2 year warranty will run out, next year I intend to have a full service every other year with the RAC. Not so much a wallet busting experience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S
Sep 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Current mileage is about 11000 miles. The Fiat Professional agent I had the quote from charges £150 + vat / hr !!! I’ve just checked with my local truck workshop who also services motorhomes (they were the ones who quoted £130 for labour) and they confirmed they do use approved parts, so I’m going there!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I used to wait until the 2 year warranty was up and use a local independant.
After my last service I was disappointed with the and their price had almost doubled so won't use them again.

New van I will take out the 5 year warranty so I will play safe and use a Fiat professional.

If using an independent and your van is still under warranty do make sure they use the correct oil. As if an engine blows Fiat will sample & analyse the oil.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Parts for a 1st service are pennies so £700 for labour is crazy. I serviced my 3.0 today including Comfortmatic fluid changes and got change out of £40 inc VAT and delivery for the main service parts so I'd hope the dealers can get them cheaper

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
You have to wonder if the big discounts on offer to shift stocks of Stellantis new cars has anything to do with jacking up the cost of servicing.

Margins on new car sales are thin at best. Someone I knew who had a Peugeot dealership once told me that the workshop effectively subsidised the car sales side of the business.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Depends on if you have the 5 year warrenty, if so definitly fiat pro (but not at £700 find another).
If you "expect" dramatic failure then Fiat "compassion" is handy but normally only handed out to those that use fiat pro or get the private email of Fiat CEO and badger them. Me I got a one year oil change and ecu update (the most important aspect of going to a fiat pro dealer) then ive done all servicing myself, its so simple. The only difficult bit ive found is fuel filter pipe removal, since made a tool for the job, and the cab filter (time to train up a small boy or the wife).

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Mine is a 21 reg which was imported from Spain and had its first 'stamped' service done by the dealer I bought it from, at about 7k miles.

I just had the second service 2 days ago at just over 14,000 miles. Thought I'd get the RAC mobile service at home as it was convenient. Included brake fluid change (£60 option) and a full service, ie including air filter. Total cost about £ 340.

Only issue was that I took it for an MOT straight after and there was an oil leak from the sump plug. Got the RAC chap back out and he changed the sump plug again and ... it leaked. Then he went home 1 1/2 hours away so couldn't come back. Yesterday I bought a sump plug, drained the oil, fitted (and carefully torqued, given recent events!) the new sump plug, and poured the oil back in. And so far so good.

But at least I have an official RAC service stamp. :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back