Filling a LPG Tank in Uk and France (1 Viewer)

Jan 12, 2017
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
We have a new Autotrail V Line fitted with an underside LPG tank. We have no experience of filling up with LPG as for many years had propane bottles in our Swift Motorhome. Is it a straightforward excercise and do I need any adaptors to fill up in France and Spain where we're off to shortly for 6 weeks.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
It's quite easy really, just follow the pictograms you (usually) see on the pumps. Bear in mind;-

1/ the gun must be locked to the inlet before the pump will start, there's usually a little lever within the handle as well as the trigger. In the UK (and Netherlands who use the same connectors) you line up the bayonet with the lugs (look inside, you'll see what I mean) then twist the end collar clockwise a quarter turn before locking the gun. Elsewhere you insert the gun into the adapter and lift the handle then lock it. If the pump won't start you haven't got it in right!

2/ you must hold the fill button in before the pump will register and keep holding it in until the pump stops. The other button is the emergency stop - guess how I found out.............? :D

3/ when releasing the gun from the inlet it is normal to get a squirt of gas vapour - keep your hands clear it's extremely cold. Maybe safer to wear industrial gloves to avoid possible frostbite until you get the hang of it.

As for adapters, assuming you've got a standard system the UK pump will connect directly. Abroad there are different connectors for different countries, sometimes for the same country. Best get a set, usually 3, from a reputable LPG conversion supplier although often garages have one to hand.

I'm sure there's a video knocking around somewhere that someone will link to. But if you have problems just go ask for help. That might not work in France, though, as some places won't allow you to refill bottles - however if you explain it's a tank you ought to be okay. Otherwise just go somewhere else.

Once you've done it a couple of times you'll be okay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
You might find it a bit awkward the first time as you have to lock the nozzle into the side of the van before it will dispense (to get a proper seal). Follow the instructions and don't be rushed. Keep your finger pressing the button until it is full. If you let go you will have to start again. The adapters for different countries simply screw in first before attaching the nozzle. Same as anything, easy after the first time.

Haha, TerryL beat me to it!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
In Spain the ever helpful forecourt attendants at Repsol stations will do it for you!
I still haven't got used to the slightly scarey filling process and my husband is even worse. I do put on a pair of gloves to protect my hands.

Because we had a Gasit underslung, I bought the set of adapters from the Gasit website.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
You will find that lpg ( GPL) is more common in France than the UK and easier to find. Most larger Total stations sell it as do most motorway services, but the latter at a premium. Many of the larger supermarkets sell it too.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I think most of us are a little uncertain the first time we fill up with gas. To date I have not been to any fuel station where they have not been keen to do it for you or show you how to do it.
However, I do know of at least one station near Rota (Cadiz) that have yet another adaptor. The attendant came out when he saw me having trouble and had perhaps six fittings with him, so perhaps there are new improved models on the market.
By far the best fitting is the Spanish one with seemingly no hole. This one does not ever 'blow back' when removing it but Gaslow told me it is much more expensive to make so it may die out.

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
3/ when releasing the gun from the inlet it is normal to get a squirt of gas vapour - keep your hands clear it's extremely cold. Maybe safer to wear industrial gloves to avoid possible frostbite until you get the hang of it.

I filled up for the first time last week.

The first bit filled quickly then really slow until it clicked off. I would say a litre over 2 minutes.
Is this normal?
but what concerned me the most, the squirt of gas vapor from the van was a blast when I released the nozzle and removed it! Perhaps I removed it too quickly?

Its a new gaslow fitted by Edyvanbitz,, not sure what is normal or whether to return it for checking.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

The first bit filled quickly then really slow until it clicked off. I would say a litre over 2 minutes.
Is this normal?
but what concerned me the most, the squirt of gas vapor from the van was a blast when I released the nozzle and removed it! Perhaps I removed it too quickly?

Its a new gaslow fitted by Edyvanbitz,, not sure what is normal or whether to return it for checking.
For those of us used the the gentle psssst when changing a gas bottle, the “blast” of the LPG nozzle is the disconcerting bit!

I once had a slow fill, towards the end of the fill, at a pump in France. In the end I stopped it myself. I was a bit scared that I could have overfilled the tank and spend a worried few days until we had used some of it!

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.

Is this normal?

Its normal or at least it is when I fill mine up, terrifies me!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I’d strongly suggest wearing gloves when filling as any spilled gas can burn your skin.
I wear thin leather gardening gloves

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I've found the connecting procedure with the French and Spanish adaptors much more straightforward and easier than the UK bayonet system(y)
I agree - quite often have to ask for help at the filling station because it's difficult. Much easier abroad. The other thing I have found is that it initially goes in quite quickly, but at one station where I asked for help, she told me it was full with 9 litres in, but by pressing on for 10 minutes more I got to 14 litres which was nearer what I thought it should be. Since there are only 2 LPG stations in my area I needed to get as much in as poss.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Filled up today at Flogas depot at Catfield in Norfolk 27.7 litres £16.63 think is was about 0.589ltr.
If you have a Safefill bottle do not expect to get it filled there, notice on pump stating NO Safeill Bottles.
Also have leather gloves by pump.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp

Is this normal?

The questions to be answered are 1/ what is the total capacity of your system and 2/ how much did you finally get in?
The rate of fill is dependant upon the pump, we've had fast and slow fills - a very slow fill such as you experienced is I believe the overfill limiter on the tank coming into action.
Did Vanbitz fill the tank once they'd fitted it? I would expect them to have put at least a few litres in so that they could check for leaks.
Maybe a quick call to Vanbitz will put your mind at rest.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.

Is this normal?

Sounds normal to me. The speed of the pumps can very a lot between garages. I filled 8 litres last week and it took and absolute age, but that was down to the garage tanks being low. Same garage different day easily fill 15 litres in under a min. It does sound like @TerryL said above like you were nearly full any how. I know @eddievanbitz put a lot of LPG in mine when he fitted ours.
Blast of vapour was nothing to do with you, that how they are and why it is recommended to use gloves and keep hands behind the nozzle guard. (y)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980

Is this normal?

The filling slows down when the bottle is full or almost full when the safety device cuts off the incoming gas. I had the same effect some time ago. Basically when it stops rushing in, stop filling.
It is not that quick at the best of times. If in any doubt, chat to Eddie

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
It's an unknown science until you know HOW:whistle:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I fitted my own Gaslow system and the first fill was a bit scary with securing the nozzle (I have only one arm/hand to use!) plus the blowback an' all. It's a doddle now.
But as they rightly say: 'Experience is something you get just after you needed it'.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I can do ours with no issues as a rule - some pumps easier to use than others.

One place we tried to fill up in Wales the attendant came running out and I thought he was going to say "no" but he'd come to help and ask if he could look round the van!!!! He was really interested in the Alugas system and impressed, not worried at all that it was a refillable cylinder and not an underslung tank. We ended up moving the van to the rear of the garage and staying overnight as he wanted to show his Dad and a couple of his Dad's mates :)

If you get stuck or have problems always ask as there will be someone to help you.

The garage we usually use for autogas we have often loaned adaptors to foreign cars that are LPG powered, Romanian or Polish as a rule. A couple of times when we have gone into pay after they have left they have bought a chocolate bar for us and left it at the counter :)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Our filler is inside the gas compartment, but fixed, have never been stopped from filling this one yet, but it is usually hidden from the attendant. last van we got stopped twice in france, when we checked we should have known better, same place each time :doh:
One of the stations we go to is very easy to use, but too far out of the way unless we are heading that way.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Talking about the hiss of escaping gas when you disconnect making you jump.....

We were on Bonterra Park a month or so ago when I run out of Repsol Propane. I switched over to the Gaslow bottle , turned off the Repsol and disconnected the Jumbo Spanish adaptor. Popped down to the store, new Repsol bottle, refitted, and reconnected the Jumbo Spanish adaptor. Rechecked all that I had done and everything was as it should be and was just about to switch back over, reached into the on/off control and the maintenance man who had been emptying the bins nearby, dropped the contents of one of those green bell shaped bottle banks into a big metal skip.

I literally fell over backwards and a change of underclothes was required !! :eek::eek:

Barry

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
One bit of advice when filling up , do the gas first , before the diesel ,that way they think its a dual fuel vehicle . It is very rare to get someone object to you filling your hab gas tho, usually worried by h&S concerns .

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I make a point of not filling the gas and the diesel at the same station/time. That way they don't know it's not dual fuel. I don't think you can have diesel/lpg dual fuelled vehicles (though I may be wrong)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I make a point of not filling the gas and the diesel at the same station/time. That way they don't know it's not dual fuel. I don't think you can have diesel/lpg dual fuelled vehicles (though I may be wrong)

Yes you are wrong. (sorry:)) I passed (or was passed by) a Calor road Tanker only a few weeks back. It clearly stated on the door of the cab. "Dual Fuelled, to help the environment". Link Here :-
https://www.calor.co.uk/business/products-and-services/transport-and-logistics/dual-fuel Interesting read actually.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Refilled this morning at a Repsol near Castellar in Spain - the attendant was waiting by the van before I was even out of the seat. Pointed out the adapter I needed and all I had to do was screw it (the adapter!!!) in. She filled it then unscrewed the adapter - she was wearing protective gloves and it was very cold! Just for €18 of gas.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back