Filled up with gas now the fridge wont work (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Good afternoon all,

I'm in France currently and filled up my safefill bottle this morning as it was getting low (great price too). After reconnecting it though my Dometic automatic fridge is complaining about gas..beeping and showing the error triangle. I've never had this before with a bottle change and everything else is working OK on gas (hobs and water heater). I noticed that GPL was shown as GPLc will this will causing the problem? Any ideas please? I did do a quick Google about GPLc and found everyone was saying it was not going to cause a problem. Im Stumped..I've switched fridge off and left for a few moments but as soon as I try again it starts beeping!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
In the UK you will have filled with pure propane. On the continent you may have got a mixture of butane and propane. Butane sits in the bottle at a lower pressure. Your regulator should take care of this and handle both gases but perhaps it is not performing like it should. The two gases also have slightly different calorific values but again I don’t think this is supposed to matter. Others such as Basildog would probably know if these issues could cause a problem.

You probably turned thd gas off to fill and created a a small airlock which has affected the gas flow to the fridge.
You have to turn off and disconnect a Safefill cylinder to refill it, it doesn’t have a separate fill connection.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
GPLc is to my knowledge exactly the same as GPL it’s basically carburant in French which means fuel.
Presumably it means for automotive use as a fuel.
As already stated it’s quite possibly an air lock from disconnecting the cylinder and allowing air into the system.
We often get problems with the fridge not wanting to light after tank / cylinder changes, repairs etc.
Also the fridge is normally the first appliance to play u if you have a failing gas regulator.
My advice would be to try to relight the fridge at least half a dozen times, sometimes a drive can clear the airlock too .

OP
OP
Albacore
Sep 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Thanks everyone...I switched off the fridge (having already done so several times) but left for 30 mins then restarted - same result with an additional error light (12v).... so I switched off again... 12v light gone off but still gas light flashing and error light. Briefly touched the on/off button which seemed to reset the warning triangle, and the gas light remained constant. How annoying are these automatic fridges? You would have thought switching off will have reset any errors but no you have to know to push on/off briefly to reset it. Pity my supplied manual doesn't contain any troubleshooting notes....Dometics must be perfect 🤣. Thank you for all your suggestions. I'm very relieved now as I didn't think the gas was not OK, as everything else worked fine. Just a temperamental fridge I guess!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
Swift 694
Has your gas bottle feed got a pressure reset button. Ours triggers if we go over bump in road, it cuts off gas to fridge and elsewhere.

Does gas flow anywhere else ie gas burners?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
LPG is a mix of propane and butane apparently and the actual mix depends on the country you are in.
And the time of year.

In winter the mix will contain less Butane (blue bottles), and the further north you go, the lower the concentration.
I think by the time you got to Scandinavia or Poland in December it would be almost pure Propane (red bottles).

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
And the time of year.

In winter the mix will contain less Butane, and the further north you go, the lower the concentration.
I think by the time you got to Scandinavia or Poland in December it would be almost pure Propane.
In UK it's all propane, on mylpg.eu it tells you the mix, here's on around Madrid but not all have it.
1000016677.jpg

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
And the time of year.

In winter the mix will contain less Butane (blue bottles), and the further north you go, the lower the concentration.
I think by the time you got to Scandinavia or Poland in December it would be almost pure Propane (red bottles).
Interesting, to say the least. Here in the Canaries the propane are blue and butane red. Who would believe it 😂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
If gas supply problems, try lighting hob to purge any airlocks. If hob doesn't light and stay alight, turn off bottle, disconnect pigtail and press the cutoff valve with a 'blunt instrument' whilst wearing gloves(the gas is v cold). Reconnect, turn on cylinder and retry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back