Fiat Ducato blocked windscreen drain again! (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 6, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend t7051
Over the last few years I have made a point of regularly checking the windscreen drain points on our 2018 Fiat Ducato after reading a post on this site.
My last check was about 6 months ago and everything was ok, last week i checked again and I noticed the telltale water marks on the engine cover.
This morning I opened the pipe only to find it totally blocked! After a few minutes pushing and prodding with my extending brush I managed to unblock it and now water flows easily.
I was considering sealing the pipe joints but I have decided against it so I can easily check it in future.
I clean the van regularly and always check the drain points for leaves and debris. I have even started to park the van front end up when in storage to avoid the deluge when it rains.
If you have the same van it might just be worth checking yours.
B9995512-8383-4EFC-BF79-BEA4513EABEF.jpeg

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have stuffed, in the top of both scuttle drains (I added an extra one on the opposite side of my scuttle to the original) part of a Stainless Steel pan scrubber.

Let's the water through but not the debris.
Just need to remove the leaves occasionally!
I use plastic ones and also keep the long windscreen cover on during autumn seed and leaves fall.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Had the bonnet on my boxer up today noticed top of engine very wet,on close inspection rain is getting between the windscreen and the moulding tat forms the gutter,on pulling the moulding away from the glass a few mm "muck and moss" between the 2.having tried various rubber mouldings have come to the conclusion the only thing to do is bond the back of the gutter to the screen where it won't be seen...maybe worth other owners having a closer look

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
That drain heads off and appears under the inner wheel arch. The problem seems to be it takes a right turn where it exists. I had to remove the inner arch to get it cleared last time. Poking a wire down it just compacted a load of leaves. I was thinking about cutting a hole in the inner arch to get at it easily. Anyone know if that's a good or bad idea?

Jan 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
robshawRX66lvc
I inspect & clear debris from outside ( dont even open the bonnet) if they look blocked as previous, a hosepipe wash through.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Had the bonnet on my boxer up today noticed top of engine very wet,on close inspection rain is getting between the windscreen and the moulding tat forms the gutter,on pulling the moulding away from the glass a few mm "muck and moss" between the 2.having tried various rubber mouldings have come to the conclusion the only thing to do is bond the back of the gutter to the screen where it won't be seen...maybe worth other owners having a closer look
This is a known issue, this is a simple fix.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Thanks for the link..A disgrace they are still making vehicles so many years later with such a well known and potentially serious design fault...How much has this cost owners worldwide..corroded failed injectors/ electrics/even major engine damage.Even though mine is a 2020 (24 K miles)Evidence of injector corrosion is visible how bad is invisible corrosion injectors to cylinder head/plugs/sockets.I will be removing the injectors and cleaning lubricating and refitting asap.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Thanks for the link..A disgrace they are still making vehicles so many years later with such a well known and potentially serious design fault...How much has this cost owners worldwide..corroded failed injectors/ electrics/even major engine damage.Even though mine is a 2020 (24 K miles)Evidence of injector corrosion is visible how bad is invisible corrosion injectors to cylinder head/plugs/sockets.I will be removing the injectors and cleaning lubricating and refitting asap.
Just check, as something in the back of my mind tells me, that on modern injectors, lubrication is not recommended, as it can stop them seating correctly? 🤔

Oct 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 2013
Great tip. Thank you!
This water issue cost me over £1600 recently on our 62 plate Ducato.
Rain had got into the engine as described earlier and following several days of minus 4 c according to my mechanic some had frozen on the timing belt. As I have then innocently tried to start the engine the belt (2 years old) behaved as though it had gone due to the ice in the teeth on the belt. This caused all the timing to go and smashed and bent most of the rockers. Thankfully the valves were ok so it wasn't a cylinder head off job.
Since then I have been trying to get a decent screen cover that keeps the water out of the engine, with no joy at the moment.Our mechanic says it's a common fault with Ducati, Boxer fronts etc as they let so much rain water in.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Maybe copies of this and other similar threads from forums around the world should be sent to the manufacturers,and maybe a communal legal action could follow if enough people can show costs involved PSA can't deny knowledge as they have modified but failed .
Glued the back of the seal to the screen yesterday with Stix like sh1 t Looked today all dry, hopefully problem solved long term??

Oct 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 2013
Following the repair I went to check on our MH after a snow fall and the subsequent thaw. On lifting the bonnet it was like a mini waterfall. The drain pipe discussed earlier was removed and cleaned by our mechanic when he repaired the engine. He said that MH front end are called sieves by a lot of mechanics because of how much rain water etc gets into the engine area through all the nooks and cranies. He also said basically it's a poor design but added the Ducati engine itself is a really good engine.

Feb 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
carado
Exp
I cut the little rubber flap off the exit of the pipe on the drivers side right up in the wheel arch. I assume This is supposed to prevent mud going into the pipe. In my experience it does exactly the opposite & traps leaves & debris in the pipe from the scuttle & really blocks it tightly! Since I cut the flap off no problems. I check it regularly, because near that pipe is also where mud & salt gets trapped between the plastic wheel arch shroud & the metal wheel arch itself (both sides of the Ducato) . I regularly flush out that area with a hose. If you dont that could be a real hidden corrosion issue building up at the top of those arches!!

Oct 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 2013
That was the advice from my mechanic to get a cover. I ordered this one which would have been idea but it was just too tight. I may opt for the one you have got
Screenshot_20240221-150358.png

AlaaMo

Free Member
Dec 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift rio
That drain heads off and appears under the inner wheel arch. The problem seems to be it takes a right turn where it exists. I had to remove the inner arch to get it cleared last time. Poking a wire down it just compacted a load of leaves. I was thinking about cutting a hole in the inner arch to get at it easily. Anyone know if that's a good or bad idea?
Yes I drilled it which allowed a long narrow bottle brush in to clear a very compacted blockage. Six months later it's blocked again so I'll have to get the brush out again. Poor design. I like the look of those filter screens - cheaper than a cover although I'm sure that's the best answer. Love this forum it really does cover everything!

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Simples !! Great easy solution to stop drains blocking...but like rodding,brushing, cutting off,won't stop water getting between screen and scuttle (gutter )moulding.Maybe yours doesn't leak there (yet) but keep a close eye for algae/moss/dust between gutter and windscreen this can be happening un noticed for years

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Tesco's do a pack of 6 mini stainless steel pot scrubbers. They can easily be rolled into a sausage shape and squeezed into the drain vents allowing drainage, but filter out the larger bits of crud. Of course regular inspection is is still required, and a hose pipe flushing of the down pipes.
Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back