Fiat Ducato 2007 Scuttle Issues (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 10, 2024
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Hi all and thank you for the add.
I recently had a new windscreen fitted to my 2007 Autotrail Tracker motorhome. After collection I noticed that the joint at the bottom of the windscreen, (dead centre), wasn't sealed. I asked the fitter about it and he said, on this model they weren't designed to be sealed to allow rainwater to drain to the scuttle. I asked if I should seal it and he said I shouldn't.
Any views on here?

IMG_6505.JPEG

plug

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2022
West Kingsdown, UK
Funster No
MH
tracker eks
Exp
2021 and counting
I recently had a new windscreen fitted to my 2007 Autotrail Tracker motorhome. After collection I noticed that the joint at the bottom of the windscreen, (dead centre), wasn't sealed. I asked the fitter about it and he said, on this model they weren't designed to be sealed to allow rainwater to drain to the scuttle. I asked if I should seal it and he said I shouldn't.
Any views on here?

View attachment 864110
Hi I have just checked my tracker, all be its on a 22 plate and my mine is a completely one piece, I have read on the forum that they are prone to leaking, so I would suggest you contact customer care at Autotrail to confirm, what you see as a problem.contact no for Autotrail 01472571000

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It definitely wants sealing, in 2007 it was a manufacturers recall but only on request, together with a plastic cover over the injectors.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi I have just checked my tracker, all be its on a 22 plate and my mine is a completely one piece, I have read on the forum that they are prone to leaking, so I would suggest you contact customer care at Autotrail to confirm, what you see as a problem.contact no for Autotrail 01472571000
The later scuttle is a one piece design, it’s not motorhome converter specific

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I purchased one of these from the seller and it works great, no more water on engine bay. Must admit the design on the ducatos from that time was poor but this water deflector works a treat 👍

The seller is our very own Funster PaulandChrissy

Upvote 0

andyt21

Free Member
Apr 5, 2014
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since 1994
Poor design. I had a 2012 Knaus which dripped water which froze and resulted in cam belt and rockers damaging engine. Fortunately my Fiat dealer negotiated with Fiat and they paid.

Upvote 0

antprice1970

Free Member
Aug 2, 2023
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E635 2008
Exp
I have fitted this, simple’s 👍
You might to look at the other drainage set they have available, excellent fitting instructions 🤔
I purchased the one with the tray to collect water then a hose takes it away down rear of engine. So easy to fit and great idea, no more water dripping onto to of engine 😊

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2016
Berkeley, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner MaranoT580
Exp
Loving life and travelling with Jan
We are sat in the Aire at Algodonales Andalusia, after having taken the scary road (for my wife)
many hairpins and narrow turns, all down hill,
wish it had been in my old rally car🤭👍
Down from Grazelema, if not for the heavy rain, wind and clouds it would have been incredible
views! ( not for the wife I think though?🥴🤭)
Worth the effort but not advised in more than 6 mtr🤔 ( we are 7.00 and a bit tight in places🤭)👍. Many motorhomes here but no Brits, all on the coast I suppose.🙄😊

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We are sat in the Aire at Algodonales Andalusia, after having taken the scary road (for my wife)
many hairpins and narrow turns, all down hill,
wish it had been in my old rally car🤭👍
Down from Grazelema, if not for the heavy rain, wind and clouds it would have been incredible
views! ( not for the wife I think though?🥴🤭)
Worth the effort but not advised in more than 6 mtr🤔 ( we are 7.00 and a bit tight in places🤭)👍. Many motorhomes here but no Brits, all on the coast I suppose.🙄😊

Have you posted this in the right thread?

Upvote 0
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
It definitely wants sealing, in 2007 it was a manufacturers recall but only on request, together with a plastic cover over the injectors.
you are right ,the last thing you want is water around injectors , it's a pricey old job if you want your injectors replaced and they are found to be rusted in situ

Upvote 0

minesapint

Free Member
Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Any views on here?

View attachment 864110
I had a new screen to our 2017 Ducato, the fitter said they did not seal it as the scuttle panel had a sealing strip on it to stop the water. Well yes it had a strip along it, but it was useless, and water dripped all over the engine causing rust to develop around the injectors, electronics etc.
I removed the scuttle panel and its rather mangy foam strip and put a bead of sealant along the top of the panel and replaced it.
The sealed panel then diverted the rain down the drain holes and away to the road, instead of the rain running down onto the engine and electronics.
PS while you have the panel off clean out the drain pipes down from the panel as they often fill with debris.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I had a new screen to our 2017 Ducato, the fitter said they did not seal it as the scuttle panel had a sealing strip on it to stop the water. Well yes it had a strip along it, but it was useless, and water dripped all over the engine causing rust to develop around the injectors, electronics etc.
I removed the scuttle panel and its rather mangy foam strip and put a bead of sealant along the top of the panel and replaced it.
The sealed panel then diverted the rain down the drain holes and away to the road, instead of the rain running down onto the engine and electronics.
PS while you have the panel off clean out the drain pipes down from the panel as they often fill with debris.

I need to use a short length of bamboo to unblock the scuttle drain pipes from time to time.

Upvote 0

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
The easy fix for this from the Ducato forum is a strip of insulation tape applied over the joint of windscreen and scuttle inch to 3 cm wide is best but hard to get hold of. Change the tape yearly, when in place it's not noticeable.
17078330244364645554615792822553.jpg

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
I've searched the web, (and eBay) for this scuttle deflector and also for "paulandchrissybabe" on eBay without success. Any suggestions as to how I can contact them or where I might obtain the deflector?
Join up. It’s well worthwhile. Tons of help on everything Motorhome. You can then send me a Private Message and I can make you a deflector. We are away in Spain until the 10th March but I can make a note to get back to you when we get back.
You can contact me on chrisatheathpark@yahoo.com, but hope you will subscribe.
PaulandChrissy

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Poor design. I had a 2012 Knaus which dripped water which froze and resulted in cam belt and rockers damaging engine. Fortunately my Fiat dealer negotiated with Fiat and they paid.
I remember reading about this problem with the scuttles as they called them years ago on the Motorhome facts forum ,it g ot dubbed scuttlegate. This problem along with the juddering dual mass flywheel got called juddergate, was one of the reasons I went for a Renault Master chassis.
I now have a 21 boxer chassis and was not aware of this water drain problem until I read the thread. I went and checked and sure enough the drain was blocked with leaves, it is now clear and I am so grateful to you all for making us aware as I thought by now it would not be a problem. Many thanks.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Upvote 0

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017