Fiat 3ltr diesel engine 2009, thoughts (1 Viewer)

Nov 2, 2022
Thaxted, Dunmow, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
Hi, about to buy a 2009 Rapido, FIAT with auto gearbox, 3 ltr diesel engine. Just checking any issues I should be aware of with the engine? Good or bad points please. Any ideas on fuel consumption? I do spain regularly, motorways around 60mph and do not boot it... any thoughts would be welcome... thx in advance.

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
Had the 3ltr Manual engine in my 138 Carthago very Quick. Would pull a House Down (y)

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
We have a 2011 3.0l Comfortmatic which I think is the same thing. Great setup, engine pulls like a train and is bulletproof. Comfortmatic gear selector system seems to be a mystery to most garages but gearbox itself is also bulletproof.
We get 32mpg at a constant 56mph or 28mpg on non-toll routes around Europe

OP
OP
SteveandSueJ
Nov 2, 2022
Thaxted, Dunmow, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
We have a 2011 3.0l Comfortmatic which I think is the same thing. Great setup, engine pulls like a train and is bulletproof. Comfortmatic gear selector system seems to be a mystery to most garages but gearbox itself is also bulletproof.
Brilliant... yes I think mine would be the same... very pleased to hear that. Lots of negative around the comformatic auto box but glad yours is good👍 good fuel consumption also which I was concerned about being used to a 6m 100bhp diesel peugeot... much appreciated reply.. thx.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Brilliant... yes I think mine would be the same... very pleased to hear that. Lots of negative around the comformatic auto box but glad yours is good👍 good fuel consumption also which I was concerned about being used to a 6m 100bhp diesel peugeot... much appreciated reply.. thx.
Ours is also a Rapido and is very well put together (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Worked well for us, strong and secure. It is a heavy lump, made our van a bit nose down, corrected with up rated springs. The air filter housing fasteners were pretty useless, needed replacing with coach bolts.

OP
OP
SteveandSueJ
Nov 2, 2022
Thaxted, Dunmow, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
Worked well for us, strong and secure. It is a heavy lump, made our van a bit nose down, corrected with up rated springs. The air filter housing fasteners were pretty useless, needed replacing with coach bolts.
Ahh heard about that. Is it mainly an issue only at service time??

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

I have the same as dunnah01 and my experience is the same too I have a PVC with 128,000 miles and still drives like a beauty ..😎

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
We had one, they're absolutely fantastic....., until they go wrong.

On a PVC or coach built, they are practically impossible to work on as there is absolutely no room in the engine bay.

Personally I wouldn't go near one again.

Cheers
Red.

Deleted User
Hi, about to buy a 2009 Rapido, FIAT with auto gearbox, 3 ltr diesel engine. Just checking any issues I should be aware of with the engine? Good or bad points please. Any ideas on fuel consumption? I do spain regularly, motorways around 60mph and do not boot it... any thoughts would be welcome... thx in advance.
We started last year with a 2003 Laika Ducato 2.8 true auto and that was a lovely drive, but have moved on to a 2008 2.2 Merc based Esterel (top of the range Rapido). There is absolutely no comparison and have to suggest that the Merc based Rapidos 2.2 or 3.0 are something to aspire to. Proper auto box as well.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Ours is the 180bhp one… comfortmatic. Pulling our 4600 kg Rapido.. it averages 500–550 miles on a full tank.. and I am truly happy with it. Don’t drive it like a go cart, just drive it like the home on wheels it is.
As someone else has commented on this forum, because of the extra weight the combination of a 3 litre engine and the robotic gear box,, the front end does sag a bit and tends to bang and crash about whenever you hit a pot hole etc.. but I’ve upgraded the front struts to VB ones and it’s made a great big difference in the ride quality.
Buy it and enjoy it 👍

OP
OP
SteveandSueJ
Nov 2, 2022
Thaxted, Dunmow, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
Ours is the 180bhp one… comfortmatic. Pulling our 4600 kg Rapido.. it averages 500–550 miles on a full tank.. and I am truly happy with it. Don’t drive it like a go cart, just drive it like the home on wheels it is.
As someone else has commented on this forum, because of the extra weight the combination of a 3 litre engine and the robotic gear box,, the front end does sag a bit and tends to bang and crash about whenever you hit a pot hole etc.. but I’ve upgraded the front struts to VB ones and it’s made a great big difference in the ride quality.
Buy it and enjoy it 👍
Thank you...

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
We had a 2009 Laika Rexosline with this engine. Officially, it's an Iveco isn't it?. Access under the bonnet was a pig but pulled like a mule with a fire under its tail.
Just kept going and going. Laughed at engine warning lights with mucky fuel stirred up by rutted roads in Morocco and turned in a respectable 30mpg. I miss it!

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Great engine, avoid the faux auto.

Comfortmatic/agile/sprintshift/shiftmatic.. none of them are true torque converter automatic gearboxes. They are modified robotised manual gearboxes.

All problematic and that’s why they are no longer manufactured .

Best engines were

2.7 5 cylinder Mercedes and 3.0 litre fiat.

3 litre mercedes V6, awesome when working . Nightmare reliability

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back