Extra solar to batteries with additional mppt (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
Been to adria today for a warrenty issue, and they say that I can't connect an extra panel via the 300w controller as even though the controller can handle the power the nordelettronica unit can't.

Van is fitted with 140w solar .

I Want to have an input so I can use a portable panel when battery power is low, is it ok to have a separate mppt connected direct to battery's.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
You're in a similar situation to many people when they start adding more solar, the main electronics charger inputs won't take more than about 15A. So yes, the solution is you connect the charger to the battery.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I have 2*100w panels via a votronic mppt - I didn't go through the Nordelectronica unit ...
I also have a folding 120w panel that is connected directly to the leisure battery using an Anderson connector fitted into the skirt adjacent to the underseat battery with a short cable then connected from the Anderson connector to the battery, in our Adria. So it can be done!

I would like to add more solar but not a lot of options on the roof due to other 'stuff' so another folding panel might be added when we get home!! It might be that I feed that through the Nordelectronica rather than buy a bigger votronic mppt (440w) ...

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
No problem, quite a lot of the folding panels come with a controller and various leads including 1 with croc clips to go on a battery( usually not an mppt but on low wattage panels not a lo of power is lost)

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
You could bypass the Nordelectronica unit and connect directly to the leisure battery. Just pull the JP7 PLUG. You will not be able to see the amps going in on the Adria panel but you would be able to put in more than the 20 Amp fuse rating of the Nordelectronica unit. If you have a dual output controller you could still take the engine battery feed via the JP7 port as its a very limited current feed from a solar controller to an engine battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I fitted another votronic mppt controller for the portable 100w solar panel.

What I've found is, only the main panel (150w) does the charging still, BUT when the compressor fridge starts up they both contribute and the battery still charges, or at least doesn't discharge, so happy days šŸ˜Ž

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back