Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Reanderthal

Free Member
Sep 11, 2024
Funster No
MH
Merc 207d Autotrail
Hello everyone,
My fiancee and I have been offered a 1988 Mercedes 207d Autotrail, at a very attractive price. It's passed its MOT, and the rust isn't anything we can't fix. However, the seller is on holiday and wasn't clear on which variant it is, and what it weighs. It's currently SORN in a remote place (from us) and we can't visit anytime soon to check the MAM plate. Can anyone help us figure out if it's a Cherokee, an Apache, or a Sioux, and whether we will need C1 licenses to drive it...?
mm.jpeg

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Please tell us you've viewed it and had it thoroughly checked over ?

. . . and not parted with any cash yet ?

That's quite a mature classic, could be good to go but at the same time could be a whole heap of problems.
Don't know about weight, but I'd guess +3.5 tonne so C1 needed.

Looks like a MB Vario, Northernraider is knowledgeable about them.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Be very very very wary if you haven't seen this in person .

They rust for fun and it isn't a question of if it's leaked I can guarantee it has , several times . My parents had an autotrail cherokee of this vintage back around 1993 , it leaked then .

The chassis will most likely be sound but the windscreen surround , inner wings , wheel arches, door steps etc etc will be rotten or welded up countless times.

Not a van for the faint hearted I promise you

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
Had to drive a 309D van for work back in the 90's. Even that rusted to buggery in less than 5 years. Luckily I just drove it and hadn't paid for it! Mind you in that time it clocked up over 200k miles. Oil checked every morning before the "off"....

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Having once been in your position, paying £5k down on a van that I hadn’t seen, just to secure it, then watch it disappear along with my money, I’d not part with a single penny until I’d sat in it, seen the seller, seen the SORN paperwork etc, as most scammers are away on holiday, sorry it’s parked somewhere where you can’t view it yet etc etc etc. Lovely old van, but please take care and all the precautions you can.

Oh and welcome.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Where I park
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
Since 1977
If it was brand new I would love it. But no way would I go near it personally. The rust you can see is just a tiny portion of what you can’t see. You would be better off buying Tams motorhome in the classified on here and also on eBay. 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Reanderthal

Free Member
Sep 11, 2024
Funster No
MH
Merc 207d Autotrail
Wow, what an amazing set of responses!
I assumed I would get notified if my post got any reactions, so I'm only just seeing these (- never assume!).
Going back to the top to reply individually to you all...

OP
OP
R

Reanderthal

Free Member
Sep 11, 2024
Funster No
MH
Merc 207d Autotrail
Be VERY careful buying something you haven't seen, there are hundreds of scammers selling vans and they always make excuses why the van isn't available for viewing
Thanks for the advice! We have experience the scamminess (without falling foul of it) on various platforms, esp FB.
This vehicle is being sold by an acquaintance, and we have visited it several times, and seen its various warts, rusts, and leaks for ourselves, and even left some stuff in it. The problem is that it belonged to the seller's late husband who administered all the details and paperwork, and as an older driver, she forgot that we youngsters require the C1 license, so she neglected to clarify its weight category before going on holiday. We are going to see its VIN plate later this week...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Reanderthal

Free Member
Sep 11, 2024
Funster No
MH
Merc 207d Autotrail
Be very very very wary if you haven't seen this in person .

They rust for fun and it isn't a question of if it's leaked I can guarantee it has , several times . My parents had an autotrail cherokee of this vintage back around 1993 , it leaked then .

The chassis will most likely be sound but the windscreen surround , inner wings , wheel arches, door steps etc etc will be rotten or welded up countless times.

Not a van for the faint hearted I promise you
Thanks for sharing your experience. It has indeed leaked a fair bit.
Considering the sub £5K price, we are planning to perhaps SORN it ourselves and use it as a temporary home while saving for an upgrade or for the repairs it may need, especially if it does indeed weigh over 3.5T.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
We are going to see its VIN plate later this week...
It's passed its MOT, and the rust isn't anything we can't fix.
Do you have fabricating and welding equipment and experience? If not, get it looked at by someone who does have it.
Rust is always far more extensive than what's on view and in motorhomes it's often necessary to remove internal equipment, wiring, pipes, furniture units and floor coverings because of the risk of heat damage and fire.
I've been restoring classic vehicles for 40 years so been there and seen it all - (far too often).

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back