Engine lights on in France - get a cheap code reader (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
At a remote mountain crag Wednesday and beeping starts, warning flashes up and engine light comes on. I crapped myself it would go into limp mode so headed straight back to a main road from the gravel track we had arrived on.

Van has been fine, 2.3 130BHP Fiat, 2013 model.

Plugged in cheap eBay code reader and it said the DPF pressure sensor was reading low. No chance of it being blocked then, or it would be high. Think sensor might be broken.

Went straight to garage, grunted and sent me to Briancon 30 minutes away. Found a Fiat professional dealer, permanently closed, found another one, closed for 3 weeks from tomorrow. Sent me to a motor factors in Briancon.

Through Google translate and pictures, managed to get a new sensor ordered for today. €73 later and sensor has arrived and is the correct one. Fitted it on the car park with my basic tool kit.

IMG_4131.jpeg

Turned on engine and turned off the light with the code reader and so far so good, it hasn’t come back on.

The traction control did have a wobble when I initially restarted, but I think that might be a red herring. All earth connections are good but will double check if it comes back.

All in all, very relieved and the £11 I spent on the code reader dongle for my phone is the best money saved ever. The garage wanted €240 to diagnose the issue.

Fingers crossed the rest of the trip is uneventful. Thoughts are with OldAgeTravellers and others who have a real hiccup. I could still drive mine fine and it didn’t go into limp mode, just an amber light and that was stressful enough.

Also, get a cheap code reader. 👍

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
What was the code reader dongle thingie for your phone please?

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
What was the code reader dongle thingie for your phone please?

Like this one, can’t find the exact one I had. I use a free app from the App Store to use it called car scanner.

Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016

Like this one, can’t find the exact one I had. I use a free app from the App Store to use it called car scanner.
Good you managed to sort this yourself, question....... the car scanner App, can you be more specific which one you used, I note several options when doing a search and the one i found called car scanner came up with later model vehicles only?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have a Bluetooth OBD2 code reader permanent attached to our diagnostic portal, and have the Torque Pro app on our vans head unit. It has sorted a few gremlins that have come out way while on the road and had us up and running again within minutes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Good you managed to sort this yourself, question....... the car scanner App, can you be more specific which one you used, I note several options when doing a search and the one i found called car scanner came up with later model vehicles only?

This one.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Googlebot I dont know if yours is a pre or post facelift X250. If post with a Marrelli ecu the differential dpf sensor has to be taught to the ecu, if pre facelift with Bosch ecu it doesn't.
like Two on Tour I have a Bluetooth OBD2 code reader permanent attached to my OBD2 port, and have the Torque Pro app on phone and tablet. I also have Alfaobd on both the advantage being Alfa can "talk Fiat" and do all the Adjustments routines. For the tight fisted Alfaobd free version can do all the reading you need, then when you really need it spend your 30 quid. (Assumimg you buy a compatible bt 4 dongle not a cheap £10 one)
Since i also use my laptop for photography on most trips i then have Multiecuscan with me anyway.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Googlebot I dont know if yours is a pre or post facelift X250. If post with a Marrelli ecu the differential dpf sensor has to be taught to the ecu, if pre facelift with Bosch ecu it doesn't.
like Two on Tour I have a Bluetooth OBD2 code reader permanent attached to my OBD2 port, and have the Torque Pro app on phone and tablet. I also have Alfaobd on both the advantage being Alfa can "talk Fiat" and do all the Adjustments routines. For the tight fisted Alfaobd free version can do all the reading you need, then when you really need it spend your 30 quid. (Assumimg you buy a compatible bt 4 dongle not a cheap £10 one)
Since i also use my laptop for photography on most trips i then have Multiecuscan with me anyway.
It is working currently and no fault codes are coming up.

It is a 2012 model from the factory, not sure what ECU is in there. When I get home, I will investigate some more. 👍

Nov 2, 2022
Thaxted, Dunmow, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
I have a plug in odb reader and great for engine but not gearbox as have 2009 3.0 Comformatic. Have free multicuescan on laptop but it won't talk to my BT dongle. Says I need ELM327 ODB V1.3. Does anyone with similar engine/gearbox have a working reader to suggest for gearbox codes please?

Mar 14, 2016
havant
Funster No
MH
panel van
Exp
since 2002
Great news you fixed it yourself. I am always careful of reseting codes, as you may also reset an important one and this can cause problems in the future, but if it worked for you, well done.

May 21, 2019
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
I feel your pain ! France is a crappy place to break down , I got towed to a Renault dealer's recovery compound with non start after being in limp mode. The owner tried 4 Peugeot dealers who all quoted 3 weeks lead time just to diagnose , so with my code reader and basic tool kit , I diagnosed and changed the EGR valve , The Renault dealer shafted me over the price of the part but I forgive him as he had real trouble sourcing it. Anyway , We were back on the road in 24 hours to make an appointment in Milan.

IMG_4317.JPG

IMG_4313.JPG

Mar 14, 2016
havant
Funster No
MH
panel van
Exp
since 2002
Looks like a handy piece of kit to get you running again. Is it ok for Peugeot Boxers? sorry never used one yet.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Great news you fixed it yourself. I am always careful of reseting codes, as you may also reset an important one and this can cause problems in the future, but if it worked for you, well done.
I read all codes before clearing them, only ones related to the DPF pressure sensor were present.

Normally, first thing a garage will do is clear all codes and see which ones come back.

Happy to say it seems okay at the moment and running fine again. I can’t fault the motor factors in Briancon. We are in the equivalent of the Scottish Highlands and the right part arrived in less than 48 hours. He couldn’t have been more helpful.

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
Well done you've saved yourself a lot of money. I had a DPF fault reported on my van and took it into a Fiat Professional garage in the UK. They wanted £5000 to fix it. I took it to a local garage and they charged me a couple of hundred. It took him 3 attempts to fix the fault, the last fix being to replace the sensor, but reimbursed me for the first two failed attempts.
Incidentally I got the initial failure at the start of a trip to Croatia and back. Not wanting to stop the holiday and suffering no loss of power I carried on driving and it cleared itself a couple of times before coming on again. I tried using over the counter DPF cleaners that you add to your diesel tank and that seemed to work. But the fault kept coming back. In the end I drove around 3000 miles with the fault coming and going. It was only on return home that I took it to the FIat garage. I'm not sure if that makes me lucky or a fool. But I got away with it.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
By no means cheap but I carry a VCDS dongle and laptop that will diagnose 99% of all modern VAG range of vehicles.

It's an unlimited VIN version so if anyone with a VAG vehicle needs access to it in my area please give me a call.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2009
sussex
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
17 yrs
My 2014 Peugeot Boxer oil light came on, when driving down through Spain.
Being from an age when oil light on at speed, was liable to be followed by a large bang, and also fortunately on a steepish downhill stretch of motorway, with a services imminent, I coasted to a safe offroad stop.
I was a bit mystified, as the van seemed to be running spot on, so googled it, and found that the likely cause was a service being due.
I then followed the prodedure given to clear the light, switch this, apply that, etc, etc... and to my surprise it worked and hasn't happened since.
My van has only seen a main dealer once, for it's first service at 2 years old, to avoid any arguments should I have needed to claim under the 3 yr warranty, and they were pathetic, charging me for work not done and parts that weren't replaced, then, when I went back to complain, the cheeky sods offered me a discount off my NEXT service!
Needless to say I demanded and got the parts that were missed and a load of goodies as compensation, and have serviced it myself since, but obviously not reset the service timer.

Jan 4, 2023
North Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise carrera 4
Exp
Since 2011
I always carry a code reader. I get the odd code come up. Make a note and clear it. I can then go thousands of miles before another one occurs. The oddest was an excess air warning. It came up a few times over the years. Eventually sussed it was always when I was accelerating hard, just as a gust of wind hit the van!
2013 year model boxer.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Can you clear fault codes now on newer vehicles?
I understand that they have some kind of gateway that prevents it and codes are therefore read only.
Does anyone know what year this was introduced?

May 21, 2019
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
I understand that they have some kind of gateway that prevents it and codes are therefore read only.
The security gateway should only prevent coding / reprogramming etc, but not basic reading and clearing fault codes.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
It is working currently and no fault codes are coming up.

It is a 2012 model from the factory, not sure what ECU is in there. When I get home, I will investigate some more. 👍
2010-2014 comes in as a facelift with Marrelli 8df ecu. sensor will need coding.
tip for anyone about to delete a code take a photo or screenshot first, even freezeframe data if you have it.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
2010-2014 comes in as a facelift with Marrelli 8df ecu. sensor will need coding.
tip for anyone about to delete a code take a photo or screenshot first, even freezeframe data if you have it.
Okay, so what’s the problem if I don’t code it? It seems to be working fine currently.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
SGW security gateway
If you have SGW with a security gateway there is a cable that can be used to bypass the gateway. I can offer no advice if a particular model has one as it was introduced on different models at different times (Starting 2018).
The follwing is from a thread I posted on SGW implementation
I searched a variety of fora for threads that included SGW and came up with the table bellow. This is data collected from owner statements. The main issue of veracity is based around the date, is it the year of manufacture or registration, motorhomes may be registered 6 to 18 months after manufacture. Also there is Regional variation eg the following 2 statements are french in origion:
SGW appeared on 24/02/2019 on Series 6 (Fiat code 6Y, nuovo ducato euro6d). 2.3 Adblu (the modification number 23582, changes the glove box drawer.) (In UK this model didn't surface until sept 19.)
Ducato (Series 7c, ducato FCA 2021), SGW is integrated to BCM

DucatoPeugeotCitroenyear/reg plateSGWSGW in BCM
Yes19NoNo
Yes20Yes2.3 Adbu
Yes21YesYes
Yes21YesYesBox behind glovebox
Yes21YesYesBox behind glovebox
Yes22No
Yes71Yes
Yes20No
Yes21No
Yes21No
Yes21No
Yes22Yes
YesYes

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Okay, so what’s the problem if I don’t code it? It seems to be working fine currently.
Short answer i don't know
The only problem is calibration. It may well work as it is at least regen should occur. Just sort it when home. AlfaObd may be cheapest option.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back