East Kilbride long term full timing (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I've been offered a job in East Kilbride. I have not formally accepted it yet as I am trying to figure out if it is viable to still stay in the van full time. I don't really want to be going looking for bricks & mortar.

Any locals have any knowledge about places that could potentially be suitable for long terming? I'm thinking like truck stops type places or small independent campsites near by.

Strathclyde site is close by but haven't enquired how long they let guests have pitches for.

Just looking for local knowledge at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I don't know of anywhere but the site at Strathclyde Park is C&MC so will probably be limited to 28 days I believe.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Look for CL/CS sites. 5 unit limit and 28 days max stay. But get 2-3 of those on rotation and you should be good.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I don't know of anywhere but the site at Strathclyde Park is C&MC so will probably be limited to 28 days I believe.
Thought it would be. I guess it's a possibility as I will only be staying 5 days per week, the odd Saturday maybe? So I would never be staying 28 days in a row.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
There's nowhere else I can think of nearby, bit of a desert for campsites.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Are you leaving the van on site while at work or taking van with you?
How far do you want to drive as two independent sites around 25&30 miles away.
Also a truckstop at Lesmahgow which will be around 15-20 miles, plus if you’re looking for off site then a few quite spots on the old rd that runs along side M74. Also if looking for wild spot you can park overnight at the wind farm visitor centre, probably about 15 miles away.

There’s probably a few quiet industrial estates you could park up at too.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Are you leaving the van on site while at work or taking van with you?
How far do you want to drive as two independent sites around 25&30 miles away.
Also a truckstop at Lesmahgow which will be around 15-20 miles, plus if you’re looking for off site then a few quite spots on the old rd that runs along side M74. Also if looking for wild spot you can park overnight at the wind farm visitor centre, probably about 15 miles away.

There’s probably a few quiet industrial estates you could park up at too.
Until I get settled at work I want to be on an official stopover, I would be leaving the van and going off to work every day then leaving with the van on the Friday afternoon.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
You can’t park it at work then…? Maybe they could find a spot for you somewhere…🤔

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The C&MC site at Strathclyde could be an option if you could come to an arrangement where you used a pitch during the week and put the van in storage over the weekends (probably 300+ storage pitches in secure compound).

We see units on the site that are frequent visitors and looks like they're "workers".

I'll be at the site later this morning and could "try and bump into the wardens" to try and suss them out.

Wonder if Sandra irnbru would maybe know of somewhere around about EK?

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
If you have the job talk to them, tell them the facts/problem, you may find they could help or give you some ideas!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
As suggested, Lockwood Fram CL ..

they may bend the 28day rule if you ask...

but get on the site and let them get to know you before broaching the subject of a long term stay .. be upfront and explain about why you need a longer term stay ..

When full time we stayed on a CL for several months, and became friends with the owners and helped out..

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
If you have the job talk to them, tell them the facts/problem, you may find they could help or give you some ideas!
It's not really a problem. Worst case scenario, I would just commute from Edinburgh every day. Wouldn't feel comfortable accepting the job then immediately asking to live in their car park. I'll ease myself in to the company before hitting them with that one :LOL:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Spoke to the Site Manager (yeah, posh new title for the warden!) at Strathclyde C&MC earlier today and said the maximum stay is 21 nights. The storage area is full with a waiting list. The Club is in the process of considering enlarging the storage by c60 units by removing some of the tent area.

So, unless you were to move out every 21 days and it wont be cheap"

He did mention there's a place in Strathaven, I think he may mean Whiteshawgate Caravans that came up when we were looking for storage, that does caravan storage and may be amenable to using the motorhome and then leaving it in storage. No idea what the place is like but he did mention it was next door to the rugby club so liquid sustenance might be possible! The rugby club is run by volunteers, might they be amenable to having a "squatter"?

Might be worth the cost of a phone call to both?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Do you have any Scouting connections ?
There is at least one Scout group in Kilbride with their own hall and land around.

They may not be adverse to some payment for a couple of months of camping, especially if you agree to volunteer in some way, such as cut the grass or help run the Cubs one evening a week.
They would probably insist on you having a verified DBS clearance first though.

At least one person I know lived for 18 months, in a tent!, on a Scout campsite in North London.
He 'paid' his rent by working one day a week maintaining the site.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Spoke to the Site Manager (yeah, posh new title for the warden!) at Strathclyde C&MC earlier today and said the maximum stay is 21 nights. The storage area is full with a waiting list. The Club is in the process of considering enlarging the storage by c60 units by removing some of the tent area.

So, unless you were to move out every 21 days and it wont be cheap"

He did mention there's a place in Strathaven, I think he may mean Whiteshawgate Caravans that came up when we were looking for storage, that does caravan storage and may be amenable to using the motorhome and then leaving it in storage. No idea what the place is like but he did mention it was next door to the rugby club so liquid sustenance might be possible! The rugby club is run by volunteers, might they be amenable to having a "squatter"?

Might be worth the cost of a phone call to both?
Storage idea wont really work for me as when I'm not working I'll be elsewhere in the van. I'm going to book a night or 2 at the Lochwood site and have a chat with them there.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Do you have any Scouting connections ?
Do I have any scouting connections?? I came 2nd in the 1st Daviot/Oldmeldrum scout troop air rifle competition circa 1992. I won progression to the 'jungle' section.

Can't lie though I absolutely bottled it! I pointed the rifle at the instructor, I couldn't see any of the targets in the bushes and I missed the snipers nest with my grenade :(

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I did have an idea but unfortunately it didn't come to anything. If you had to move out of EK every 21 days, how long would you have to move out for before being alowed back on? There is a wilding spot further round Strathclyde park and also at Chaterhault country park Hamilton and Bothwell castle. Perhaps you could do the rounds.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back