Earthing a 3KW Inverter or not (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
For what it’s worth I upgraded last year to lithium and 2000ah Victron Multiplus and decided I would give it a separate earth to the chassis it works fine and the automatic switching is a really good thing as it will provide extra to the ECU if required we hardly use ECU now.
I think the upgrade was one of the most useful things I have done and don’t need to worry about running out of power😊👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
For what it’s worth I upgraded last year to lithium and 2000ah Victron Multiplus and decided I would give it a separate earth to the chassis it works fine and the automatic switching is a really good thing as it will provide extra to the ECU if required we hardly use ECU now.
I think the upgrade was one of the most useful things I have done and don’t need to worry about running out of power😊👍
The Multiplus has a relay that automatically switches the neutral/earth.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Finally, if I do go for a manual switch (which I'd prefer not to) is there anything more attractive (i.e. less industrial looking) than the commonly recommended Heschen rotary switch?
You could put one of these in your consumer unit, it mounts on a standard DIN rail.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The wiring diagram doesn't show the mains going to anywhere other than the charger, but it still puts a little picture of an EHU connection on the control panel when the mains is connected, but I can't think of any other reason why it might need to know that mains was present.
There's one other thing worth knowing - the mains charger has a small output that switches a relay. It switches a trickle-charger that sends a small charge to the starter battery, taking power from the leisure battery internal connection. If there's no mains charger, that relay stays off, so you'll have to find an alternative way to trickle-charge the starter battery. Not a huge problem, easy to solve if you know about it.

Jul 26, 2018
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696D
Exp
Owned AutoTrail Navajo from March 2013 until replaced with current van in 2020
You could put one of these in your consumer unit, it mounts on a standard DIN rail.
Alas my consumer unit is only four units wide. I would like to make it bigger if I could only work out where to put it!
There's one other thing worth knowing - the mains charger has a small output that switches a relay. It switches a trickle-charger that sends a small charge to the starter battery, taking power from the leisure battery internal connection. If there's no mains charger, that relay stays off, so you'll have to find an alternative way to trickle-charge the starter battery. Not a huge problem, easy to solve if you know about it.
Fortunately my B2B also provides that functionality so I should be all set. Thanks for the thought though!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back