E bike v Motorbike (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2022
Spalding, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika L4009DS
Exp
My wife and I have a motorhome on order, and will be MoHo newbies. We are thinking of purchasing 2 e bikes. We see them as helping to keep us fitter as we age! However all our MoHo friends who are encouraging us have Honda Waves or similar motorbikes. They comment they just park up lock it and don't worry about it being stolen. We want to be able to leave the bikes, and walk in town, collect food, visit museums etc. What are people's experiences/ comments, or how do you use e bikes? Thank you for your help

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Motorbike (suzuki address 110) owner for 7 years and 2 x ebikes owners for 2 and 1/2 years.

The motorbike is great for getting the shopping. Double top box, also good for getting an aire and travelling to the beach without paying the prices at the beach, similarly doing mountains the motorbike is great and gorges.

However, this year, we will be in Belgium for a fortnight, Aude region including some pyrenees for a month, Vendee for a month, Provence for a month and hopefully doing the xmas markets for a fortnight.

We dont intend to take the motorbike. We have found that with panniers on one bike we can get whatever shopping we need (if we dont get it whilst travelling in the motorhome) we can easily go 80 kms (on the flat) without getting over tired, we can park the bikes just as we park the motorbike, we can get our batteries charged in certain places whilst we are out. We have done a couple of gorges up BIG hills, so we are wondering if we need a motorbike. Too early for us to sell it yet,

May I suggest getting decent e bikes instead of trying to scrimp and save (I m tight fisted and really pleased I got good advice) and Bosch batteries are what we have so we can recharge in several places over france but heavily in the touristy areas thanks to Bosch who provide chargers.

We have a garage and bike rack on the back. I have the payload available to take both. I prefer the e bikes in the garage as well as the motorbike (when we have token both forms) but we have to take pedals off and turn handlebars.

I think it depends upon how often you stop. Motorbike in and out is longer than 2 e bikes in out and out. What you will be doing, how long you want to take doing it, how old you are, how long you expect to motorhome. Better to start with e bikes and then do motorbike as you age perhaps, but we arent super fit and do the 80kms (mainly on disused railway lines)

The concern about e bikes being stolen is generally when on the back. Some preventative measures such as removing battery, decent locks, alarm, removing seat etc would see thieves more likely that not attack someone elses ebikes. Insurance for 2 ebikes would equate to insurance for a motorbike.

Best of luck and you may want to search https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/the-disused-railway-line-and-voie-vert-thread.265926/ through this which is a gateway to several disused railway lines to get an idea of what we get up to.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Motorbike (suzuki address 110) owner for 7 years and 2 x ebikes owners for 2 and 1/2 years.

The motorbike is great for getting the shopping. Double top box, also good for getting an aire and travelling to the beach without paying the prices at the beach, similarly doing mountains the motorbike is great and gorges.

However, this year, we will be in Belgium for a fortnight, Aude region including some pyrenees for a month, Vendee for a month, Provence for a month and hopefully doing the xmas markets for a fortnight.

We dont intend to take the motorbike. We have found that with panniers on one bike we can get whatever shopping we need (if we dont get it whilst travelling in the motorhome) we can easily go 80 kms (on the flat) without getting over tired, we can park the bikes just as we park the motorbike, we can get our batteries charged in certain places whilst we are out. We have done a couple of gorges up BIG hills, so we are wondering if we need a motorbike. Too early for us to sell it yet,

May I suggest getting decent e bikes instead of trying to scrimp and save (I m tight fisted and really pleased I got good advice) and Bosch batteries are what we have so we can recharge in several places over france but heavily in the touristy areas thanks to Bosch who provide chargers.

We have a garage and bike rack on the back. I have the payload available to take both. I prefer the e bikes in the garage as well as the motorbike (when we have token both forms) but we have to take pedals off and turn handlebars.

I think it depends upon how often you stop. Motorbike in and out is longer than 2 e bikes in out and out. What you will be doing, how long you want to take doing it, how old you are, how long you expect to motorhome. Better to start with e bikes and then do motorbike as you age perhaps, but we arent super fit and do the 80kms (mainly on disused railway lines)

The concern about e bikes being stolen is generally when on the back. Some preventative measures such as removing battery, decent locks, alarm, removing seat etc would see thieves more likely that not attack someone elses ebikes. Insurance for 2 ebikes would equate to insurance for a motorbike.

Best of luck and you may want to search https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/the-disused-railway-line-and-voie-vert-thread.265926/ through this which is a gateway to several disused railway lines to get an idea of what we get up to.

Great response. 👍

Ian

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Thank you for your help, e bikes look very positive option
Another question, how often are you going to want to go over 40 miles and be in a hurry to do so versus wouldnt you like to do that journey in 20 minutes rather than 2 hours of effort ?
You do get to see more on an ebike versus you get to spend more time there on a motorbike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
We like both and depending on what we are doing and where we are going, dictates which we use. Luckily we can carry and accommodate both.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
To clarify, we carry a pair of Bromptons that Ive converted with Swytch kits. That’s how we get about when away.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Not been a m-biker since my teens but we have used bikes for donkeys years and are into our second e-bikes. We like the freedom for travelling round lakes and on tow paths and riverside walks, all of which we couldn't have done with a motorbike. We actually like the sensation of (leisure) cycling and knowing that we are helping keep fit at the same time. (unlike the gym which I hated).

e-bikes now allow us to keep doing that and we still keep fit but without having to push up steep hills. I'll be 80 next year so it gives me enourmous pride that we can still do this.
We find the bikes great for doing the shopping or just getting into town, because you can be a bit isolated with a motorhome not having the car you rely on at home.

I have double panniers and My wife has a basket so shopping is usually well catered for. The exception was our Grolsch brewery tour where my bike was so overloaded that It and I ended up in a dyke.(Though my wife says it was more to do with the amount of Grolsch I'd sampled than the cargo weight)

Security wise we carry Kryptonite D locks. A bit heavy but the best, and always hook up to something really solid. (Lesson learned in Strassbourg when my bike was taken)

We have used bike racks on the rear of the van and got an electric lift bike rack for the last e-bikes. I hated the chore of putting on/off the bike cover. In hindsight I would have got a towbar bike rack. easier to lift onto and a cover can easily cover all round the bikes.

I got lightweight e-folders with this van and keep them in the garage. We use a Thule veloslide rack to slide them in and out. Expensive but absolutely worth it. The bike you use most is the one that's easy to access.

Get good gel saddles, puncture proof tyres. You're ready to go.

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Since 2007 we have had two scooters a car on a frame, a car on a trailer but always took our bicycles, we was in Croatia in 2017 and found we spent more time getting off and pushing on alot of hills that electric was the way to go. 😁
We stopped off in Germany and purchased two good quality quite expensive bikes and since then done hundreds of miles/ kmh and never looked back, we always found a car or scooter was only really used for shopping, and always found the bikes got more use, so with our panniers we get all the shopping we need. 👍😎 Bob.

20230222_133719.jpg

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Unless you want to ‘tour around’ on your bike, be it motorbike or ebike, weigh up the cost of whatever you buy, consider the security implications, ( our 2 ebikes cost €5000 and I was scared to leave them anywhere, even with a big motorcycle chain, which I had to carry 🤦‍♂️)

Versus….

Using local taxis or Ubet/Bolt , and parking closer to where you want to be, the plus side no need to buy additional protective kit, security, transporting , getting wet in the rain, no worries about drinking and driving too😉😜

Having been there and got the t shirt, option 2 wins😎

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Since 2007 we have had two scooters a car on a frame, a car on a trailer but always took our bicycles, we was in Croatia in 2017 and found we spent more time getting off and pushing on alot of hills that electric was the way to go. 😁
We stopped off in Germany and purchased two good quality quite expensive bikes and since then done hundreds of miles/ kmh and never looked back, we always found a car or scooter was only really used for shopping, and always found the bikes got more use, so with our panniers we get all the shopping we need. 👍😎 Bob.

View attachment 719910
For clarity we bought what look to be the exact same bikes in Germany as well and really happy and really well used

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Unless you want to ‘tour around’ on your bike, be it motorbike or ebike, weigh up the cost of whatever you buy, consider the security implications, ( our 2 ebikes cost €5000 and I was scared to leave them anywhere, even with a big motorcycle chain, which I had to carry 🤦‍♂️)

Versus….

Using local taxis or Ubet/Bolt , and parking closer to where you want to be, the plus side no need to buy additional protective kit, security, transporting , getting wet in the rain, no worries about drinking and driving too😉😜

Having been there and got the t shirt, option 2 wins😎
Different strokes for different folks

May 27, 2018
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer149
Great question and one we've been wrestling with. We bought our first MHome in November and have bought ebikes to start with. We may also get a moped eventually but figure that ebikes are easier to use, mainly as I then don't have to worry about wearing safety clothing (I know many don't bother but I'd rather not ride a moped, especially with my other half on the back, without proper protective gear on). The more I thought about wearing that kit in hot climates etc the more I decided ebikes would be just easier. They also force us to do some exercise! The thing we'll need to resolve is that my other half isn't keen on riding on roads as she hasn't ridden bikes for years. Hopefully time spent on cycle paths etc will resolve that concern for her.

We've bought a second hand Cube Touring for my teenage daughter as a starter and have two new ones on order due in the coming months. For security we're adding a couple of Litelok to a couple of locks we've already got. Oh, and we got a Buddy Rider for the dog (11.5kg working cocker) who, whilst not ecstatic about it, is getting the hang of riding between my arms as I've been trying it on the bike we just got. Dog was a key element for us as we thought about her coming with us as much as possible.

I'm so impressed with the one we've just got that I've been using it here for local trips rather than the car. The plan is to add panniers for supermarket trips etc to the two main bikes.

We deliberately got a MH with large rear garage to be able to accommodate all of this kit (and with an eye to axle weight) so they're out of sight as much as possible.

Will be interesting to hear about others' experiences.

Gordon

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
As a biker, I can see no reason to prioritise a scooter/small bike over e-bikes. However, if we’re talking about a decent sized motorbike, that shifts the balance as the motorbike serves a dual purpose; utility (shopping) and fun (ride outs).

Ian

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
As a biker, I can see no reason to prioritise a scooter/small bike over e-bikes. However, if we’re talking about a decent sized motorbike, that shifts the balance as the motorbike serves a dual purpose; utility (shopping) and fun (ride outs).

Ian
Our little 110 cc did over 100 miles one day up the gorges du verdon and back from the lavender farm at St Croix.

We called it a fun ride out. 2 up. loads of scenery. stunning roads. Bleeding sore backside ! You make a good point

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Motorbike for us, I also take my mountain bike which isn’t electric. I just built up this Stanton Switch9er Ti, too young for an electric. 😜
27A0810B-4A8F-4106-B353-BAD005435D1D.jpeg
2B869B68-ACA2-42C3-BF1A-009FCDE14922.png

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Carrying load on a motorbike/Scooter is pants vs a push-bike and panniers. We regularly fit 2 full shopping bags into the panniers of Mrs R’s bike and most of the time we just use the trailer on the back of that if we want a full shop.

2 adults on a scooter always looks like an accident waiting to happen to me as well, and where’s the fun in no effort🤔

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
As motorcyclist (albeit with a large heavy bike), and a leisure cyclist (with a self converted electric bike) they are like chalk and cheese, the cycle can do most of what we need from two wheels whilst in the moho, plus can access places a motorbike couldn't.. I'm thinking lovely cycle paths on old railway lines, paths following rivers, etc.

So for us, the cycle wins every time.

Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
To clarify, we carry a pair of Bromptons that Ive converted with Swytch kits. That’s how we get about when away.
We also have one Brompton with Swytch conversion. And another Brompton about to be converted when the Swytch kit arrives. The swytch kit is great for shorter rides.

I'm still tempted to get a couple of full size Ebikes with a 60+ mile range for when we want to do longer day tours though.

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
We have both but when we go away we now take the scooter (Honda Vision).

I think it’s down to however you want/like to tour around. We now tend to avoid busy sites and locations and go to smaller sites then use the scooter to travel in and around the area for touristy things, shopping and just having a tour around. Although the bikes were great the scooter does mean we can travel a bit further to tour around.

We can travel into city centres and aren’t in the least bit worried about it getting stolen but were paranoid about our two cycles getting stolen, with each one costing about as much as the scooter! Nobody really even looks at the scooter. We get a bit of exercise by tending to walk a bit more!

Scooter fits in the garage so is hidden away from sight.

You do have the added issue of insurance/breakdown cover/helmets/gloves and so on but we wouldn’t be without it now. It really allowed us to see more of the areas we stopped in and had some lovely runs out into the gorges around Millau which we would never have managed on a bike.

Good luck!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back