DVLA Driving licence and medical requirement after 70. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 27, 2017
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
2nd time around.
DVLA has written advising my C1 is due for renewal and only lasts one year. I had medical etc with no issues Aug 23. and renewed licence then.
They are saying the C, C1,D and D1 licence expires Aug 24 and I need a medical etc to renew it although the plastic licence shows all categories with expiration date Aug 26.

in response to my query and request they correct their error I've had these email replies from DVLA:

"I have checked your driving licence record and can confirm that the expiry date of 05/08/2024 are in relation to your provisional C/C1/D/D1 categories, as these need to be renewed with a D4 medical report every year once 65 years of age
Your standard categories and licence itself are valid until 05/08/2026 as you mentioned in your email.
You will need to either renew or surrender the provisional entitlements using a D2 application form, and a D4 medical report if looking to retain these.
If you wish to surrender these categories, you will only need to do so using a D2."

"We appreciate you have taken the time to contact us in relation to this matter.
It may help if I explain, after the age of 70 you usually renew your licence every 3 years but if your hold a licence with C--C1--D--D1 categories after 70 it is a yearly renewal due to a medical being needed every year.

Is anyone else experiencing this or have any comments?

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
For some reason they want a medical for C D C1 D1. But why do they refer to them being provisional? I have C1 D1 but not provisional C D and my licence is valid for 3 years.
Is it the provisional C D they are really referring to? Your C1 D1 being still valid.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
I have checked your driving licence record and can confirm that the expiry date of 05/08/2024 are in relation to your provisional C/C1/D/D1 categories, as these need to be renewed with a D4 medical report every year once 65 years of age
So are they saying at 65 you need a medical? My licence expires 14/12/2027, when I'll be 67 and 6 months. I've got D1/C1/C1E/D1E etc. as well as the usual stuff. On the back of the licence it shows that these expire May 2030, when I'll be 70, in fact they all run out then including car and even a moped! DVLA do like to over complicate things.

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
Just had mine back and they all end in 3 years as it should be.
Are you sure you ticked the correct box on the D2 application? The top one is Want provisional entitlement and under that it's renew provisional entitlement which should be ticked.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jezzerr
Oct 27, 2017
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
2nd time around.
Just had mine back and they all end in 3 years as it should be.
Are you sure you ticked the correct box on the D2 application? The top one is Want provisional entitlement and under that it's renew provisional entitlement which should be ticked.
Beats me... My plastic licence shows all expiring in 2026. Haven't copy of application made last year - so no idea which boxes were ticked. No idea where they've got idea of "provisional" 'cos that is not shown on plastic licence. and of course the two replies from different names at DVLA contradict each other.

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
The DVLA are clericaly insane on every level, expect nothing but ralaxing joy. Their level of incompetence is above and beyond!!

Upvote 0

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
I have had a living nightmare with DVLA , but MAY have had a reply to my 3 complaints over 6 months duration however currently in Rhodes ( it’s 40 degrees and I fear the reply might have brought on a stroke so have not opened email yet )and I think email may just be acknowledging the first complaint .. but I am not giving up until I understand at least some of what’s going on…all I wanted was C1 renewal, have never had the D 1 entitlement….. sorry Jezzerr your post has filled me with dread! But at least not alone

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
We used their Helpline due to a query and the girl was very good, I think it depends on who you get.

I scan and keep copies of all documentation on my computer that I have to send anywhere, but that's a bit late for you now.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
DVLA has written advising my C1 is due for renewal and only lasts one year. I had medical etc with no issues Aug 23. and renewed licence then.
They are saying the C, C1,D and D1 licence expires Aug 24 and I need a medical etc to renew it although the plastic licence shows all categories with expiration date Aug 26.

in response to my query and request they correct their error I've had these email replies from DVLA:

"I have checked your driving licence record and can confirm that the expiry date of 05/08/2024 are in relation to your provisional C/C1/D/D1 categories, as these need to be renewed with a D4 medical report every year once 65 years of age
Your standard categories and licence itself are valid until 05/08/2026 as you mentioned in your email.
You will need to either renew or surrender the provisional entitlements using a D2 application form, and a D4 medical report if looking to retain these.
If you wish to surrender these categories, you will only need to do so using a D2."

"We appreciate you have taken the time to contact us in relation to this matter.
It may help if I explain, after the age of 70 you usually renew your licence every 3 years but if your hold a licence with C--C1--D--D1 categories after 70 it is a yearly renewal due to a medical being needed every year.

Is anyone else experiencing this or have any comments?

I think it is the C and D provisionals they are referring to.

I agree with David and Sally.

Also the DVLA reply in Para i, end of first line should have only referred to '...provisional C/D' and not included C1/D1.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
I have recently sent my application for renewal of C1 at 70 , my current licence expires on 24/08/2024 , Licence arrived in post in three weeks with no C1 entitlement rang DVLA who said as I have a internal cardiac device fitted i cant have a group two licence !
I had a heart attack last march and I had to wait six months before I could apply for my C1.
DVLA rang me in December and asked if I wanted my C1 Licence reinstated so new C1 licence arrived Just after Christmas.
I have been driving my 3850 KG motorhome since December but now not allowed to drive it.
No explanation received with driving licence, really don't know what to do, screwed up my retirement plans.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The DVLA are clericaly insane on every level, expect nothing but ralaxing joy. Their level of incompetence is above and beyond!!
I can confirm that. They do not know what idiopathic diabetes insipidus is ……. They assume that I am dying from a brain tumour

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Vocational licences require a D4 medical every year from age 65 (every 5 years from age 45).

In the case of C1, on grandfather rights, non commercial use, is class 1 until ago 70 then class 2 after, so will require a D4 medical.

Wife dropped C1 as she could not pass a D4 medical, but does meet the requirements for class 1 (car, motorcycle etc.), can't understand this.
Maybe we should follow what the EU is proposing re: motorhomes and upping the GVW to 4000kg and keeping it as class 1.

I have know idea how I will get on in 2 years time, as I had a very minor stroke 18 months ago and DVLA say I can continue to drive class 1 with no restrictions.

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
How confusing ?
So in layman’s terms, you need to renew licence every 3 yrs after 70yrs,
But if you want to renew C1 this is every year with a doctors report ?
In this correct ?
How much is doctors report each year then ?
Thank you in advance 👍

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
How confusing ?
So in layman’s terms, you need to renew licence every 3 yrs after 70yrs,
But if you want to renew C1 this is every year with a doctors report ?
In this correct ?
How much is doctors report each year then ?
Thank you in advance 👍
Nope, you are confusing a C1 with a C.
C1 (up to 7.5t) you need to renew every 3 years with a medical.
C (up to 32t) you need to renew every year with a medical.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jezzerr
Oct 27, 2017
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
2nd time around.
Looked carefully at my licence, ( how many times have you ?) I do not have a C or a D. I do have C1 and D1. Also have a C1E and a D1E which I suspect are the root of the problem... although DVLA has not said so.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Looked carefully at my licence, ( how many times have you ?) I do not have a C or a D. I do have C1 and D1. Also have a C1E and a D1E which I suspect are the root of the problem... although DVLA has not said so.
I don’t think the E makes much difference. 3 years is normal but sometimes they apply a shorter period for medical reasons. Last renewal I only got 2 years because my last stress test would have been too far back by 3 years.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jezzerr
Oct 27, 2017
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
2nd time around.
Update: Spent 50 minutes having a circuitous "chat" with DVLA on line, during which they quoted " implied entitlement and provisional entitlement". and avoided simple Yes /No responses - After much frustration I was given a link:

https://www.viewdrivingrecord.service.gov.uk/driving-record/personal-details which gives access to your licence and vehicles you can drive.

On there I determined that my C1 lasts til 2026 but C1E, D1 and D1E only last 12 months - they cover towing a trailer behind motorhome and driving a small bus. Not required anyway. Hope link is useful to someone!

Upvote 1

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
This is correct - until it’s not. Many of us have received a C1 at 70 with renewal in only 12 months.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
Asi have reported before I am having problems when DVLA lost my C1 when I moved house ,and im only 66 this has been going on for a year now , I have contacted the Ombudsman who have told DVLA to re -instate my C1 which i had since 1975 but DVLA are still not complying with ruling ,, they want medical even though I dont need them , they want me to make a full new application ??? Ombudsman has told them no no no just reinstate his C1 .. but every time I speak with DVLA they either dont know the rules or are just being jobsworths . The problem is that they have no dedicated person to handle an issue ..

all I can say is Good luck dealing with DVLA.

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
If C1 on a vocational license (IE for work) then it's every year and you would need to keep up with your CPC training as well.
Thankfully my CPC expires September this year.

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
If C1 on a vocational license (IE for work) then it's every year and you would need to keep up with your CPC training as well.
Thankfully my CPC expires September this year.

I don't remember the renewel form asking if it was for vocational purposes.

Upvote 0
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
I'm not sure if this is relevant for the UK, but Europe has ratified a new law that allows drivers with the regular B license to drive vehicles up to 4.250kg. It will be valid in 2025. This is a great solution for many motorhome drivers obviously and means no longer having to take another licence (C1 or whatever). My Gottiline Toscan can be automatically uprated to 3.850kg without changing suspension or tyres. So 350kg extra of wine 😀

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I'm not sure if this is relevant for the UK, but Europe has ratified a new law that allows drivers with the regular B license to drive vehicles up to 4.250kg. It will be valid in 2025. This is a great solution for many motorhome drivers obviously and means no longer having to take another licence (C1 or whatever). My Gottiline Toscan can be automatically uprated to 3.850kg without changing suspension or tyres. So 350kg extra of wine 😀

Can you please confirm which EU body has ratified this law - EU Commission and/or EU Parliament and maybe gice source for the info, please.

Upvote 0
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
El pasado 28 de febrero el Parlamento Europeo aprobó la propuesta de ampliación de la Masa Máxima Autorizada (MMA) de 3.500 kg hasta los 4.250 kg con el carnet de conducir de tipo B. Esta resolución afecta de forma directa a las autocaravanas y campers, que cada vez tienen más peso. La aplicación de la nueva normativa se llevará a efecto a lo largo de la próxima legislatura, tras las elecciones europeas de junio.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Possibly, because C1 Etc aren't "test passed" categories (they are grandfather rights) they are referring to them as provisional.
When every DVLA employee is singing from the same song sheet, instead of interpreting as the see fit, they MAY be fit for purpose.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back