Dunwich Beach and Overnight Parking. (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
do you know what the small bridge was built for ?
I don’t know, I suspect it may have been for driving sheep across, you will have noticed the gate on the opposite side you can almost imagine a track by looking at the tree line but that may have been my imagination. Don’t know if you have taken the walk and track that runs parallel with the Dunwich forest that goes to Walberswick it is elevated above the Dunwich river. It comes out by the mobile homes and camping (I think it is a private or residential site. Turn left and your up by the green. It quite a nice walk.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I have it pencilled into the diary.
But since the pandemic I've not been commuting 12 miles a day, 5 days a week.
So i think it would be a real struggle, but I'd still be up for it, even if I bailed half way
Time to train for it. See you at the start? :)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I suspect it may have been for driving sheep across,
I thought it may be something like that.. but a lot of work for a sheep bridge .. and quite and it's narrow not walled .. so sheep or cattle could have fallen off. .. puzzling..

must dig deeper ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Time to train for it. See you at the start? :)
Just looking at my Strava report for the ride
Last time I did it was 2018!
10hrs ride time,
12+hrs door to door time.
So I was never fast, even when I was a regular cycle commuter.

But I'll see you at the start, and maybe at the end!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Just looking at my Strava report for the ride
Last time I did it was 2018!
10hrs ride time,
12+hrs door to door time.
So I was never fast, even when I was a regular cycle commuter.

But I'll see you at the start, and maybe at the end!

I last did it in 2019. I'll be great to meet at the start... I won't be hanging around the beach for long after sun rise though. What time are you likely to set off?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I have it pencilled into the diary.
But since the pandemic I've not been commuting 12 miles a day, 5 days a week.
So i think it would be a real struggle, but I'd still be up for it, even if I bailed half way
Time to get the E-Bike out, Peddle Assist should help a bit, after all its the taking part that helps, so they say.(y);)
LES

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I last did it in 2019. I'll be great to meet at the start... I won't be hanging around the beach for long after sun rise though. What time are you likely to set off?
About 7pm
The majority go at 8pm and it can be hard to move until after the M25 due to the sheer number of cyclists
It means the road bike speed monsters overtake me between 9 and 10pm

I think I'd be getting in breakfast at the Flora tea rooms and maybe a pint at the Ship, and then heading for the motorhome which would hopefully be parked 2 miles up the coast somewhere

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
About 7pm
The majority go at 8pm and it can be hard to move until after the M25 due to the sheer number of cyclists
It means the road bike speed monsters overtake me between 9 and 10pm

I think I'd be getting in breakfast at the Flora tea rooms and maybe a pint at the Ship, and then heading for the motorhome which would hopefully be parked 2 miles up the coast somewhere

I'll be at London Fields before 7pm and probably leave soon after 8pm ... aiming to get to Dunwich for 5AM and allow for 1.5 hrs of breaks on the way. I'll be parked further away and will eat after a snooze :)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
To save e looking it up, where in London does the cycle event start?,how many miles is it? what was the purpose of starting off at 7PM, was it the obvious, it causes traffic problems? I have never heard of an overnight cycle race before, so its interesting to hear about this.
As for Parking up on The Suffolk Coast, I think from searching on Google, that the pay by phone app, pay & display arrangement, with a clear no overnight parking sign, at Sellafield may have put pay to anyone overnighting there nowadays, same as Dunwich Beach Car Park, but at least you have the option of the Church Car Park for a fiver.(y)

I have in the recent past Googled Aldeburgh, and just South a bit to Slaughden before The Sailing Club, noticed a MH or two parked up, handy for a spot of Beach Fishing & Fish & Chip Supper I thought. Have any of you tried parking there recently? it looks OK, but you guys will know best.(y)
Thanks.
LES

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
To save e looking it up, where in London does the cycle event start?,how many miles is it? what was the purpose of starting off at 7PM, was it the obvious, it causes traffic problems? I have never heard of an overnight cycle race before, so its interesting to hear about this.
As for Parking up on The Suffolk Coast, I think from searching on Google, that the pay by phone app, pay & display arrangement, with a clear no overnight parking sign, at Sellafield may have put pay to anyone overnighting there nowadays, same as Dunwich Beach Car Park, but at least you have the option of the Church Car Park for a fiver.(y)

I have in the recent past Googled Aldeburgh, and just South a bit to Slaughden before The Sailing Club, noticed a MH or two parked up, handy for a spot of Beach Fishing & Fish & Chip Supper I thought. Have any of you tried parking there recently? it looks OK, but you guys will know best.(y)
Thanks.
LES
People set off from around 5pm through to around 11pm. Approx 2500 cyclists heading to the beach. Great fun. I like to arrive for sun rise. Others get there ASAP and turn back to London and some get there when they can, ideally before mid morning.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I'll be at London Fields before 7pm and probably leave soon after 8pm ... aiming to get to Dunwich for 5AM and allow for 1.5 hrs of breaks on the way. I'll be parked further away and will eat after a snooze :)
I always 'aim' for dawn at 5am
Never made it, not even once!

I know my realistic 'door to door' (including stoppage) time is about 12 hours

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
People set off from around 5pm through to around 11pm. Approx 2500 cyclists heading to the beach. Great fun. I like to arrive for sun rise. Others get there ASAP and turn back to London and some get there when they can, ideally before mid morning.
The bulk of the people seem to leave around 8pm'ish
I think you will find it's a lot more than 2,500 cyclists, as i know Southwark Cyclists sold over 2,000 return tickets on their coach run a few years back.
There are a number of other Cycle Clubs that also sell return tickets.

(Greater Anglia Trains, to help in transportation ban all cycles on the return route that day!!)

Info here
Tickets for the return coaches will go on sale in May here

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I always 'aim' for dawn at 5am
Never made it, not even once!

I know my realistic 'door to door' (including stoppage) time is about 12 hours
This will be my 5th DD... I missed dawn by an hour on the first run but the others have been better as I haven't ridden with pub crawlers again...

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
The bulk of the people seem to leave around 8pm'ish
I think you will find it's a lot more than 2,500 cyclists, as i know Southwark Cyclists sold over 2,000 return tickets on their coach run a few years back.
There are a number of other Cycle Clubs that also sell return tickets.

(Greater Anglia Trains, to help in transportation ban all cycles on the return route that day!!)

Info here
Tickets for the return coaches will go on sale in May here

I believe that the last few years, post covid haven't been so busy... I hope it gets back up to pre covid numbers soon as it is more fun with more riders

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

Thanks.
LES
Starting at 7-8pm is good, as it's just getting dusk.
It means you clear the M25 before it gets dark.

The distance is 112 miles officially, but I always seem to be about 120 miles including the ride to the start and the ride home from the coach drop off at the end.

As It's London, there are cycle path all the way out as far as Epping, however they struggle to cope with the volume of cyclists.
London car drivers are used to being in the minority, so don't really notice the volume of cyclists much.

As for overnight parking around Dunwich, I'll be looking into it, but it will need to be outside Dunwich as it's by far the busiest day of the year for the locals.
(And they all make a killing selling food, the Flora tea Rooms must employ at least 20-30 staff on the day, back in 2018 they served over 1,500 full English breakfasts in about 8 hrs, kicking off at 4am!)
The Ship pub opens at 3am!

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
112+ miles in the saddle is a very long time, especially for even a keen amateur, those padded cycling shorts will be much needed and no doubt appreciated along with the gloves.
Have a great time guys, I hope the weather is kind for you, let us know how it all goes afterwards, its twice the length of The London to Brighton run, but I have never heard of it before now, I must look in the history of its origins etc.
I know there is a fair few keen cyclists on Fun, hopefully you can all tie up, and make it a Fun event also.

Still considering the parking at just South of Aldeburgh, looks OK for a night, maybe two, for a bit of Sea Fishing.
LES

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Coolcats

a bit more information about the bridge

found this on an 1864 OS map..

in Greyfriers Wood it shows a Saw Mill with a mill pond .. !

this would explain the deep ditch or mill lade, which would have channelled water down from the Dunwich River, so the bridge would have been needed to cross the water

OS Map

Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 16.16.57.png

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
112+ miles in the saddle is a very long time, especially for even a keen amateur, those padded cycling shorts will be much needed and no doubt appreciated along with the gloves.
Have a great time guys, I hope the weather is kind for you, let us know how it all goes afterwards, its twice the length of The London to Brighton run, but I have never heard of it before now, I must look in the history of its origins etc.
I know there is a fair few keen cyclists on Fun, hopefully you can all tie up, and make it a Fun event also.

Still considering the parking at just South of Aldeburgh, looks OK for a night, maybe two, for a bit of Sea Fishing.
LES

Legend has it that some cycle couriers were sitting in a pub after work one Friday, discussing what they could do to enjoy the nice weather .... one of them suggested that they go to the beach .... they did and the event was repeated and grew ... and faded and grew again...

I tend to end up doing around 200km including cycling to transport pickup points, to the park, the event itself and on to where I spend a few hours sleeping... Cyclists need to be able to support themselves (no broom wagon etc) but there are lots of places that open up for the night to provide opportunities to buy food and drink.

It really helps to cycle with folk who are of a similar fitness level and are able to cycle at the pace you aim for and have the same objective(s)... my first dun Run was with a friend I had cycled with a lot and we were unexepectedly joined by some of his work mates and their friends ... they were slower than I was and it was frustrating to be plodding along when we had long stretches of quiet roads and a gentle tail wind giving perfect cycling conditios. We also stopped too often at pubs and arrived at the beach much later than planned. It isn't a race but it is worth ensuring that your objectives are clear so the risks of falling out with folk, especially at 3am, are reduced.

Nov 9, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Dunwich beach on the Suffolk coast.

Large Free car park with a cafe and toilets .. really nice place, beach and walking on the cliff footpath, but it's daytime parking only .

For overnight parking, you can park in the Dunwich Church Car Park with a donation of £5 .. honesty box

It's near the Ship Pub, a small Museum and the ruined Greyfriers Friary worth the short walk, and on the way, you can also see the Last Grave of a graveyard and church that were lost to the sea..

Google Map

Search For Sites Location

A few photos to give some idea what it's like.

View attachment 818143View attachment 818144View attachment 818145View attachment 818146View attachment 818147View attachment 818148View attachment 818149View attachment 818150View attachment 818151View attachment 818152

Church Car Park..
View attachment 818153View attachment 818154View attachment 818155View attachment 818156View attachment 818157View attachment 818158

View attachment 818184
I love Dunwich and the surrounding area. I never knew that there was a carpark at the church. I'll look out for it the next time I'm there. Thanks for the info.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back