Ducato timing belt slip (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
You may be lucky and have only bent cam followers..not sure about this engine but some are designed that way.
To those refering to the airbag ECU a couple of days ago while looking for info I read I think in a online owners hand book the starting procedure clearly said wait for lights to go out
If can't remember exactly wording.. something didn't go out DO NOT ATTEMPT TO START
blah blah.
I would think this is their way of dealing with the ECU issue...not really satisfactory,coul it not be on a timer to come on after start up ?
Or a voltage controlled switch between starter system and key..

Elcal

Free Member
Mar 13, 2024
Funster No
MH
adria Twin
Hi all

On the 12th December I attempted to start my 2019 Ducato 2.3 multijet. It was cold -7, it started made one hell of a noise, immediately switched it off. After some research discovered the issue with the scuttle and water ingress and freezing on the timing belt/pulleys and causing it to sleep. Contacted Fiat who gave me Ref number said they will look at it even though warranty was up a year ago and had only done 12k.

It's st the dealers now, been re timed , new belt but still not very well, engine started but making noises. My question is what damage may have accured and has any body had any dealing with Fiat and this issue and did Fist repair free of charge as it is a know fault.

Thank you for and advice given
hi - just left my van in France - one morning after a cold night it would not start , seems the timing belt slipped and has now destroyed the engine- it is a 2020 engine with 12000 miles ! dry stored and impeccably maintained - Fiat say they have never heard of any issues with ice causing timing belts to slip.ans as I'm out if warranty it looks like tough luck on me! 'sorry you bought a Fiat '- can you tell me more about your issue - how is the van now ! why would you ever trust it again etc ....

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hi - just left my van in France - one morning after a cold night it would not start , seems the timing belt slipped and has now destroyed the engine- it is a 2020 engine with 12000 miles ! dry stored and impeccably maintained - Fiat say they have never heard of any issues with ice causing timing belts to slip.ans as I'm out if warranty it looks like tough luck on me! 'sorry you bought a Fiat '- can you tell me more about your issue - how is the van now ! why would you ever trust it again etc ....
are those responses from FIAT dealers /proffesional workshops or from Fiat Camper customer services in the UK?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2020
North Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2014
You may be lucky and have only bent cam followers..not sure about this engine but some are designed that way.
To those refering to the airbag ECU a couple of days ago while looking for info I read I think in a online owners hand book the starting procedure clearly said wait for lights to go out
If can't remember exactly wording.. something didn't go out DO NOT ATTEMPT TO START
blah blah.
I would think this is their way of dealing with the ECU issue...not really satisfactory,coul it not be on a timer to come on after start up ?
Or a voltage controlled switch between starter system and key..
Mine is a keyless start so I can’t wait for any lights to go out - I press the button to start

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Interesting point that. Sometimes the failure is blamed on voltage at startup. The first thing that comes to my mind is the split charge relay arrangement. It is generally only found in motorhomes and is the bit that links the two 12V systems at startup. Is it possible that the sudden cut in of the link would cause a voltage spike up or down? Has anyone had an airbag ECU failure when the the split charge has been replaced by a B2B which keeps the systems separate?
Yes, mine failed in January. We have a Sterling B2B. The airbag ECU was repaired by Northern AutoTech in Morecombe. Still working so far.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Maybe just maybe they either installed hardware or software to prevent airbag ECU damage along with keyless. . it's a problem they are well aware of.???Time will tell !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Hi all

On the 12th December I attempted to start my 2019 Ducato 2.3 multijet. It was cold -7, it started made one hell of a noise, immediately switched it off. After some research discovered the issue with the scuttle and water ingress and freezing on the timing belt/pulleys and causing it to sleep. Contacted Fiat who gave me Ref number said they will look at it even though warranty was up a year ago and had only done 12k.

It's st the dealers now, been re timed , new belt but still not very well, engine started but making noises. My question is what damage may have accured and has any body had any dealing with Fiat and this issue and did Fist repair free of charge as it is a know fault.

Thank you for and advice given
This engine is known as an interference engine, in that if the timing belt slips or breaks the piston will strike the valves and at the minimum bend them or in worse cases damage the pistons.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back