Ducato light chassis and lack of spare wheel and jack. What to do?. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
When I learnt the Ducato on a 3,500kg light chassis didn't have a spare wheel with tyre, jack and other tools for changing a wheel I found it laughable. I don't think it's right. The quick repair kit is good for getting off a main road super quick but I'd want to replace that wheel as soon as possible. If I'm caught out in the sticks I won't be happy if I have to travel into a busy town for the new tyre. I'm thinking a new alloy wheel, tyre, jack and tools is essential. My original plan, was to keep the spare wheel in the tiny garage under the bed but now I'm thinking of putting it within a cradle underneath the van. (The day I need that wheel it'll be raining, 100%!. Every time I changed the bulb on a HGV's trailer it was raining) 😆.

My questions are,

Has anyone bought a spare wheel because the Ducato didn't come with it?.

Did you put it outside and underneath the van?. If so, what do you think of the cradle?.

What kind of jack?. ( I've read a lot of posts about the jack not being fit for purpose. Surely it is. I think the people that TRY to use the jack aren't fit for purpose. Lots of talk about it not being low enough for the back axle. Maybe some people don't know the correct location to position the jack).

I'm trying to buy the essentials for the van before March. In eight months time, they've probably gone up in price. I've probably spent more than Tamara Eccleston the last two days. Enjoyable though🤑.

Best regards,

Clewie.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Our Burstner 2019, also came without a spare and a jack that has questionable status. We bought a steel wheel and tyre and a good bottle jack and some hardwood blocks to cope with the height. (Shouldn’t say this ) but we have not had a puncture in this van from new (2019 27540 miles) the spare takes up a good bit of space, and eats into your payload. the only place was in the boot which adds to the loading in a garage that goes a long way back from the rear axle. Not sure yet for the definitive answer as to do the wheel bolts form the fitted alloy wheels fit the steel wheels, asked at 2 main Fiat dealers neither was sure. We’re on the heavy chassis!!

Upvote 0
Jul 22, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I did 400 miles with the spare steel wheel using the bolts which were fitted to my alloy wheel. No problem at all.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kea 80
Exp
Happy to help
I had the fiat light ccs chassis bought the winch system and a new steel spare wheel cost for both was £200, easy diy fit. The tool kit and jack should be under the passenger seat.

IMG_3055.jpeg

IMG_3060.jpeg

IMG_3061.jpeg

IMG_3063.jpeg

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
Our van came with just the repair kit. I picked up a spare from ebay and added the cradle underneath myself.
The wheel currently resides in the garage, however as we are due to move soon and will need the garage space ill fit it to the cradle. If i was somewhere safe Id use the Fiat jack, but wouldnt want to risk it at the side of the road.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Our Burstner 2019, also came without a spare and a jack that has questionable status. We bought a steel wheel and tyre and a good bottle jack and some hardwood blocks to cope with the height. (Shouldn’t say this ) but we have not had a puncture in this van from new (2019 27540 miles) the spare takes up a good bit of space, and eats into your payload. the only place was in the boot which adds to the loading in a garage that goes a long way back from the rear axle. Not sure yet for the definitive answer as to do the wheel bolts form the fitted alloy wheels fit the steel wheels, asked at 2 main Fiat dealers neither was sure. We’re on the heavy chassis!!
On a previous van in 2008 the wheel bolts from the alloys were too long for the steel wheel and stopped the wheel from moving.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I fitted the wind-up cradle to my previous van so I could carry a spare. Make sure that kit you buy includes the 5 sided "security" tool to wind down the wheel.

I've not bothered in the new van.

Remember payload. A wheel and cradle will eat about 30kg. Lots of 3.5t vans have very little spare carry capacity.

Upvote 0
Jun 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Harmony line 690g
Halmerend Wheels & Tyres Ltd
07877 691294

https://g.co/kgs/pZeMJKs

Give these guys a bell I think about £160 Inc pp for a wheel & tyre , I just had 2 Mich/ Agilis fitted & bought a steel wheel & they fitted one of my old tyres on the new wheel, great lads.Got a cover off Ebay & put it in the Garage. Must admit never thought if the Bolts off the Alloy will fit the Steel Wheel will have to check that out. Can anyone confirm this please Burstner Harmony 690g ,69 Plate ,thanks in advance, Chris.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Mercedes Sprinter based vans also no longer come with a spare tyre or the jack

I bought a spare wheel and jack.
Never had the need to use it yet.

But we have had a slow puncture, luckily I could pump up the tyre enough to get us to a tyre shop to repair it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
I have the proper cradle and a spare steel wheel and tyre. Bought a 10 tonne bottle jack from sgs. Once when using the supplied Fiat scissor jack it fell of the jack with no warning. No damage to the van or me but there could have been. Also have a 3 tonne trolley jack for home use. I had the cradle fitted by the dealer.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
My Autotrail 3500kg did not have a spare. Now keep one in the rear storage locker. Have the standard Fiat jack, Plus a wrecking bar for nut removal and a torque wrench.
Have carried out a test change without any problems.
Think its like the old saying "If you got it you will probably never need it" Touch wood.

Upvote 1
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
You will find people selling wheel cradles and fittings plus set of jack and tools on eBay plus lots of videos on YouTube showing how to fit which is pretty easy. I think my van came with the jack but no wheel so I bought a steel wheel, heavy duty metal tyre valves and a tyre and got a local garage to fit the tyre. From the research I did the heavy chassis with 16" wheels which my van has uses the same studs for alloy or steel wheels, so hopefully that is true.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I also bought a spare (with same tyre) and the wind up mechanism from ebay. unfortunately didnt have same chassis to easily add winder. i got a local blacksmith to make the streachers of my hanger mechanism that i bolted the winder to.
Marigold spare.jpg

Upvote 0

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
Wind up cradle about £100 and steel spare with hew tyre £150. Only carry in Europe.

Upvote 0
Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
I did purchase the fiat spare wheel carrier for my previous Burstner. The spare wheel was fitted on the rear wall inside the garage, along with the fiat tools.

The tools actually fit under the drivers seat, better for weight.

And the chassis is pre drilled and set for the underslung carrier to attach, think it cost about £100 all in.

Much better weight distribution, and free garage rear wall.

My Rapido came with spare underslung.

Ps, think you need the extender bar to lower the wheel.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
many motorhomes have under slung water tanks that restrict the placing of the spare wheel carrier.
Ours is an example of this, I carry a spare in one of the side lockers, it’s heavy and takes up a lot of space, and , I hope I never need it 🤭

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
On my Malibu Van the spare tyre, carrier and tools were offered as an option. The spare wheel is steel and the total additional weight is 39kg.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
On my Malibu Van the spare tyre, carrier and tools were offered as an option. The spare wheel is steel and the total additional weight is 39kg.
Would love a spare. I don’t think our 6m Malibu has enough room for the spare underneath as there is something insulated near the rear axle. Not sure what it is as grey tank in the middle.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Clewie68
Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
My advice is buy a wheel and jack.
Stupid puncture gel in a can wont fix a blow out.
Yes, great point well made. Another good point made in this thread is the possible insulated tank in the way. I think I'll wait to see what's underneath.

One of the words the ex Sargent Major drummed into me during my HGV training was anticipation. I anticipate that the worst case scenario is a blow out and I'm sitting in a live lane. Something positive would have to be done quickly. Like change the wheel. Not a job I would relish on any road. Funnily enough, I actually picked my new warning triangle from Halfords yesterday.

When I used to drive a truck I noticed others people's bad habits, mistakes or complacency can easily become another motorists problem. I think it's a courtesy to other road users to have a proper spare instead of not trying to resolve the problem at all.

I'll be lugging another 30kg+ and that's the way it is. I know i might sound a little righteous, but I've made mistakes while driving and want to avoid any more. Especially when the van is costing more than i paid for my home in 2001.

I'll definitely buy an alloy wheel with the same tyre, not steel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
When I learnt the Ducato on a 3,500kg light chassis didn't have a spare wheel with tyre, jack and other tools for changing a wheel I found it laughable. I don't think it's right. The quick repair kit is good for getting off a main road super quick but I'd want to replace that wheel as soon as possible. If I'm caught out in the sticks I won't be happy if I have to travel into a busy town for the new tyre. I'm thinking a new alloy wheel, tyre, jack and tools is essential. My original plan, was to keep the spare wheel in the tiny garage under the bed but now I'm thinking of putting it within a cradle underneath the van. (The day I need that wheel it'll be raining, 100%!. Every time I changed the bulb on a HGV's trailer it was raining) 😆.

My questions are,

Has anyone bought a spare wheel because the Ducato didn't come with it?.

Did you put it outside and underneath the van?. If so, what do you think of the cradle?.

What kind of jack?. ( I've read a lot of posts about the jack not being fit for purpose. Surely it is. I think the people that TRY to use the jack aren't fit for purpose. Lots of talk about it not being low enough for the back axle. Maybe some people don't know the correct location to position the jack).

I'm trying to buy the essentials for the van before March. In eight months time, they've probably gone up in price. I've probably spent more than Tamara Eccleston the last two days. Enjoyable though🤑.

Best regards,

Clewie.
The underslung wheel carrier is good in my opinion, my Van has it and all I do is protect it against rust and check is operation each year at least once. The wheel is heavy, if you get a flat, drop the wheel, unhook the hanger and drive the van forward a few feet to get to the wheel. As for the factory screw jack, I have it but have not used it, its ok under the back axle but would be very extended for the front wheel change. I also wonder about the effort needed to wind it up with a Van at close to 3.5T. Buy the factory winch is my suggestion.

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2022
Newington, Sittingbourne, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
July 2022
Halmerend Wheels & Tyres Ltd
07877 691294

https://g.co/kgs/pZeMJKs

Give these guys a bell I think about £160 Inc pp for a wheel & tyre , I just had 2 Mich/ Agilis fitted & bought a steel wheel & they fitted one of my old tyres on the new wheel, great lads.Got a cover off Ebay & put it in the Garage. Must admit never thought if the Bolts off the Alloy will fit the Steel Wheel will have to check that out. Can anyone confirm this please Burstner Harmony 690g ,69 Plate ,thanks in advance, Chris.
We have the 690G and decided to buy a spare steel and fit the carrier underneath. I also read the countless threads on here about whether the steel abd alloy wheels use different bolt lengths. When I asked my Fiat dealer he couldn't tell me other than his parts computer showed a different part no. for steel bolts and alloy bolts. So to play safe I ordered 6 (only come in packs of two) at an extortionate price. When I compared them to the alloy bolt I couldn't really tell if the were different lengths or not (they were that close in length). One other thing; if you buy a steel to have as a spare and fit it to the underslung rack but run on the alloys, you will need the alloy adaptor plate to hoist the alloy into position, otherwise you will find you have to carry your alloy and flat tyre in your garage or hab area.

Upvote 0

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
The Land of Saints & Scholars ☘
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
Hi again Mark I've also got the underslung spare wheel carrier, (as an option) lol but very easy to use and definitely handy for when your away 😀
Just noticed that Carthago have fitted the spare wheel cradle mechanism well back behind the rear wheels so well away from any tanks & pipework etc and they've also supplied a long reach winding tool which makes the whole process a doddle its very well done (maybe another option for you to stick on your options list!🤣)
Here's a couple of pics
20240812_065325.jpg
20240812_084329.jpg
20240812_084457.jpg
20240812_065547.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Both previous vans had spares underneath. Only once had a problem on a French autoroute on a downhill section. Got to the hard shoulder but there is no way I would have attempted to change it on that slope. Had to call French breakdown rip off merchants who recovered us, then broke the cradle.

This van has the gel. If that doesn't do the trick, I would call breakdown. On a main road I would call them anyway. The scissor jack would be fine on the level but I wouldn't risk it on any slope.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Harmony line 690g
We have the 690G and decided to buy a spare steel and fit the carrier underneath. I also read the countless threads on here about whether the steel abd alloy wheels use different bolt lengths. When I asked my Fiat dealer he couldn't tell me other than his parts computer showed a different part no. for steel bolts and alloy bolts. So to play safe I ordered 6 (only come in packs of two) at an extortionate price. When I compared them to the alloy bolt I couldn't really tell if the were different lengths or not (they were that close in length). One other thing; if you buy a steel to have as a spare and fit it to the underslung rack but run on the alloys, you will need the alloy adaptor plate to hoist the alloy into position, otherwise you will find you have to carry your alloy and flat tyre in your garage or hab area.
Thanks for your reply 👍 will have to check it out cos no Bolts NO SPARE.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Would love a spare. I don’t think our 6m Malibu has enough room for the spare underneath as there is something insulated near the rear axle. Not sure what it is as grey tank in the middle.
The spare wheel is only offered as an option on the 6.4m Malibu Vans which suggests there is no room for one underneath the shorter ones.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back