Ducato engine problem?

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
Driving the van yesterday along a country road doing about 50 when suddenly I start to lose speed ,no response from accelerator as I gradually slow down ,I manage to coast into a lay-by and stop.I didn’t switch the engine off.
There are no warning lights showing and when I press the accelerator again the engine revs up so I risk it and drive off doing another 20+miles with countless stop starts due to roadworks and traffic lights. Later I turned the engine on and off a number of times and perfect response no repeat of the issue???
Any ideas?(other than hope it never happens again 🙂).
(In case it has any bearing it’s a comfortmatic).

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Driving the van yesterday along a country road doing about 50 when suddenly I start to lose speed ,no response from accelerator as I gradually slow down ,I manage to coast into a lay-by and stop.I didn’t switch the engine off.
There are no warning lights showing and when I press the accelerator again the engine revs up so I risk it and drive off doing another 20+miles with countless stop starts due to roadworks and traffic lights. Later I turned the engine on and off a number of times and perfect response no repeat of the issue???
Not being sure of what Ducato you have but it's well reported that on the new autos, mine a 2022 8 speed, that if your foot touches the brake pedal and accelerator at the same time the throttle dies and engine will not respond. Its very unnerving when it happens but once repositioning your foot back onto the accelerator the engine recovers. Just a thought FWIW.
Edit. Just noticed it being a comformatic, so might be a similar effect to the full autos.

Upvote 0

LithiumConvert

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
I would get the Earthing strap on the Gearbox checked.

They can and do leave the factory without being properly tightenned. Applies to new 9 Speed as well.

Of course, it could well be something else but this is easy enough to check.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AlunandFelicie

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
Not being sure of what Ducato you have but it's well reported that on the new autos, mine a 2022 8 speed, that if your foot touches the brake pedal and accelerator at the same time the throttle dies and engine will not respond. Its very unnerving when it happens but once repositioning your foot back onto the accelerator the engine recovers. Just a thought FWIW.
Edit. Just noticed it being a comformatic, so might be a similar effect to the full autos.
That’s what it felt like ,never happened before in thee years of ownership (18 plate) so fingers crossed a one off🤞

Upvote 0

LithiumConvert

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
dash300 I think the 2022 was 9 Speed.

But you are quite right. It is far too easy to catch the brake pedal with the side of your right foot. Especially after negotiating a roundabout or turn at traffic lights for some reason.

AlunandFelicie Could this be the same on a ComfortMatic?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Harmony line 690g
I had the same issue on our Burstner 690g Comfortmatic this yr No Revs Engine still running , pulled over after around a min touched Throttle Engine Revved & off I went , Travelled to Scotland/ Wales since , being careful not to catch both Pedals (not that I had noticed I had before) & not done it since. I did have it on Diagnostics at my Mechanics & it did only show "Brake & Accelerator Pedal Coherence - Signal Compare Failure " so get narrower shoes 👞 😉

Upvote 1
OP
OP
AlunandFelicie

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
I had the same issue on our Burstner 690g Comfortmatic this yr No Revs Engine still running , pulled over after around a min touched Throttle Engine Revved & off I went , Travelled to Scotland/ Wales since , being careful not to catch both Pedals (not that I had noticed I had before) & not done it since. I did have it on Diagnostics at my Mechanics & it did only show "Brake & Accelerator Pedal Coherence - Signal Compare Failure " so get narrower shoes 👞 😉
I already wear the wife’s stilettos when she’s not about🤪

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner T620g
Exp
since 1969
I've had it happen on my 2019 manual (pre adblue) about 3 times over 4 years and it seems to coincide with catching both the brake pedal and throttle when changing gear.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Harmony line 690g
I've had it happen on my 2019 manual (pre adblue) about 3 times over 4 years and it seems to coincide with catching both the brake pedal and throttle when changing gear.
I've only heard folk with the Comfortmatic say they have had it happen, I found a guys Post on the Fiat Forum that had it happen to him , he contacted two Independent Fiat Stealers that both informed him it was a Safety Feature if you hit Brake and Accelerator together.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
WildAx Proteus
I have had the same thing on a Fiat. The engine is reduced to idle for 7 seconds if you touch both pedals together.

Ford only cuts out for the brief time the pedals are actually pressed together.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Ys agree, comfortmatic dosent like brake and accelerator been touched at the same time.

But could have just been an impurity in the diesel?

Or earth strap?

Or a multitude of other things

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Harmony line 690g
I'll take it as both Pedals being pressed as that was what was logged in my Engine Fault Codes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp
Since 2000
Yes, I think touching both pedals at the same time is favourite.
I came to a big hill in Spain on cruise control and went to hit the accelerator to gain speed and ours cut out.
I spent the rest of the day wondering what I had done wrong!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Back