Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
SGS Engineering in Derby can supply replacement struts but can't recommend anyone to fit them.
Any suggestions would be most welcome as it's far too big of a job for me to even entertain trying to do ?
They're fitted to an old Hymer S650.

Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
I had to fix my drop down bed on Hymer B704 as a securing bolt had become detached. The process involved replacing gas strut. What a nightmare!
I did some research to find a fitter, workshop etc who would do the work but they were not interested.
I ended up speaking to a very knowledgeable chap (forgot his name) who has now retired, after obtaining his details from the internet. He stated not many fitters around anymore who will do this type of work.
I did it myself with a very small assistant who was placed inside the fold down bed that I lifted into position.
Good info on You Tube and I am sure there are a few Funsters who can assist. I would offer to help but I currently have my hand in plaster.

OP
OP
H
Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Thanks Toady, I'm having similar problems with getting someone to do it.
I think that because of the enormous pressure involved ( over 2000 psi ) it can possibly go very badly .

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
It's here somewhere on the Forum, both JJ and I have posted how to do it

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
There is a YouTube video - Herman the Hymer ? that shows how it's done.

I did mine (SGS) on the Mobilvetta

I had mine shortened (free bySGS) by about 3mm which made fitting easy.

You remove and fit them extended - so no danger

Your struts will have the nm printed on them.

Mine were rated at 140nm

Shortening them made them slightly weaker but they still work.

If I were to do them again I would specify 170nm to allow for the shorter length

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2016
SGS Engineering in Derby can supply replacement struts but can't recommend anyone to fit them.
Any suggestions would be most welcome as it's far too big of a job for me to even entertain trying to do ?
They're fitted to an old Hymer S650.
Hi, we had ours replaced at Towsure in Stoke-on-Trent a few years ago, assume they still do it, maybe worth a phone call if it's not too far for you to travel

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Probably not as hard as you think?
My rear locker has big doors and double struts. Removed and replaced with door fully open/extended so struts not under pressure ?
I admit I haven't tackled a drop-down situation, only Lift up!!

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
I replaced ours with the help of two mates, could have done it with one. We used the Herman the Hymer video as a starter. In the end we had to do it as no one was interested. It worked out to be a straightforward job and both were done in 45 mins, 30 mins the first side and 15 mins for the second. TBH it’s not too difficult.
There is a YouTube video - Herman the Hymer ? that shows how it's done.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I did mine on my own by propping the bed as high as it would go with a pair of steps jammed off a seat.

Discovered the second strut had in fact snapped anyway

Sods law - if I'd done that side first the other side probably didn't need replacing.

My struts were behind panels

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’ve done mine twice, 2001Hymer B584, I can’t say it hard but can be a bit awkward.
When I did mine the last time I got them from SGS and changed from 1700 nm to 1900 nm, bed stays well up now.

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
I’ve done mine twice, 2001Hymer B584, I can’t say it hard but can be a bit awkward.
When I did mine the last time I got them from SGS and changed from 1700 nm to 1900 nm, bed stays well up now.
My only regret was not increasing the nm for mine. If I did it again I’d do exactly the same as you.

OP
OP
H
Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Thank you so much for all the replies , gives me more confidence to re look at doing them, and I'll certainly watch the video mentioned.
My only concern being that if the job is relatively straight forward, then why are the garages so reluctant to do them ?

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
When I did mine I had a couple of plaster board props left from a kitchen build at home to hold the bed up, removed the mattress and used the props to jack the bed up until the struts were fully extended and they came straight off, and the new ones went straight on.
However SGS supplied me with custom replacements that were so badly made that the eyelets on the end of the chromed rods came off on the first use as they had cut the rods to length and only left one thread on the end, and the replacements had the wrong sized eyelets on the end, in the end I had to go through the bank to get a chargeback as they would not supply a return note so personally I would not recommend them.
1000004890.jpg

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
When I did mine I had a couple of plaster board props left from a kitchen build at home to hold the bed up, removed the mattress and used the props to jack the bed up until the struts were fully extended and they came straight off, and the new ones went straight on.
However SGS supplied me with custom replacements that were so badly made that the eyelets on the end of the chromed rods came off on the first use as they had cut the rods to length and only left one thread on the end, and the replacements that supplied when I notified them of the issue had the wrong sized eyelets on the end, in the end I had to go through the bank to get a chargeback as they would not supply a return note so personally I would not recommend them.View attachment 928495

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’ve watched that Herman video and I’m not that struck on how they did it, not good removing old unit when it’s not fully open, remove split pins and starlock washers (if fitted) and then lift bed (mattress removed) as high as possible and remove strut, it’s awkward but doable.
If you do it, before starting check if yours has 10mm starlock washers because you have to break them to remove, also check the fit of new units on pins , mine were a bit tight.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Hi hymerman , I'm no mechanic but I live not far from you and would be willing to help. I also have a 2006 Hymer with a drop down bed so have an interest. I can also make tea! PM me if I can help.

OP
OP
H
Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Thanks again to all.
Interesting what Steve N Tracy said about SGS, given me second thoughts about dealing with them.
I'll come back to you paddymcc when I decide what to do and thank you for your offer to help.
Considering that there must be hundreds of vans out there with drop down beds it's amazing that this issue hasn't been finally resolved with a simple solution.

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Considering that there must be hundreds of vans out there with drop down beds it's amazing that this issue hasn't been finally resolved with a simple solution.
As said earlier it’s quite straightforward. When I looked it up before I did mine there were lots of negative comments by people who hadn’t attempted it!!

Aug 8, 2013
CHESTER
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks again to all.
Interesting what Steve N Tracy said about SGS, given me second thoughts about dealing with them.
I'll come back to you paddymcc when I decide what to do and thank you for your offer to help.
Hi hymerman, I got my struts from sgs and mine were fine. My 2004 Hymer was a bit of a struggle to fit them (small hands would be good) but persevered and it went ok. Replaced the ones on my brothers 1993 654 and they were a doddle. It is easier with two people so take up paddymcc offer especially if he makes a good brew 🫖☕😜
(Ours were on fiat’s so don’t know if it’s any different on a merc)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back