Driving Licence Translation? (1 Viewer)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I have read that there may be a need for an International Driving Permit as a translation of my UK driving licence.

Yet when I look at my licence the only English words are 'Driving Licence', the rest is my address.

All the catergories are pictures and numbers/letters, so what needs to be translated?

Do we not share the same driving catergories as the rest of Europe?

I'm confused...o_O

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
The IDP has pictures of what you can drive, as does a UK driving licence, got pictures ticked and a licence for Austria just in case, aparantly I am now licenced to ride a motorbike !!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The IDP Treaties long preceeded the standard EU licence.

It would take a very 'Jobsworth' Plod to challenge a UK photocard licence. An old paper one might be a different matter.

At present I will take my chances, especially since not at present being in UK there is no way to buy an IDP - no Post Offices on the Continent - who thought that out, as there must be thousands of Brits who cannot get one.

Geoff

MHdreaming

Free Member
May 19, 2014
SouthEast UK
Funster No
I have read that there may be a need for an International Driving Permit as a translation of my UK driving licence.

Yet when I look at my licence the only English words are 'Driving Licence', the rest is my address.

All the catergories are pictures and numbers/letters, so what needs to be translated?

I'm confused...o_O
Yes although understandable to a degree I do feel many people worry far to much about consequences of leaving the EU. I have driven all over Europe since the late 70’s never had an international driving licence in fact don’t think i’ve ever seen one, as far as I can see an EU licence ticks all the boxes. We are currently in Spain and i’m not the slightest concerned about driving licences, green cards, or any other paper nonsense.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Yes although understandable to a degree I do feel many people worry far to much about consequences of leaving the EU. I have driven all over Europe since the late 70’s never had an international driving licence in fact don’t think i’ve ever seen one, as far as I can see an EU licence ticks all the boxes. We are currently in Spain and i’m not the slightest concerned about driving licences, green cards, or any other paper nonsense.

To be honest if Brexit goes bad not having your paper right may cost a lot of money.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Never understood this requirement since our licence is the European Model Driving Licence set out in the European Directive on driving licences!
But after the 29th (allegedly) we won't be in the European community so the licence won't be recognised regardless of what it says or looks like.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
But after the 29th (allegedly) we won't be in the European community so the licence won't be recognised regardless of what it says or looks like.
I understand that but what I am saying is that the European model licence does not rely upon translation for it to be understood by all Members. The requirement for a traslation is superfluous.

Janiemou

Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
no way to buy an IDP - no Post Offices on the Continent

We have switched to Greek Licences now and we have IDPs & Greenn Cards. I have often thought that there must be a way to obtain IDPs in each of the countries they relate to ... there are post offices in most, if not all the countries we visit - is that where you start?

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
We have switched to Greek Licences now and we have IDPs & Greenn Cards. I have often thought that there must be a way to obtain IDPs in each of the countries they relate to ... there are post offices in most, if not all the countries we visit - is that where you start?

Most countries have a designated authority for issuing them. They are issued in the country your licence was issued so you would need to get yours in Greece

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
You could in theory get away with not having an IDP pre EU, but what the hell happened should you be involved in a road accident that involved the Police, I do not know.

Of course if you have an accident without a Green Card where you need one, you have no motor insurance cover whatsoever at all so apart from being illegal wherever you are - this is likely to be exceedingly expensive. If you crash into me after the legal cut off - be assured I'd do my utmost to take you to the cleaners so I sincerely trust you are RICH. I hate and despise people who don't insure their vehicles in accordance with the law - and ignorance of the law is NEVER a defence.

A lot of time when we had to nip into the AA shop to get an IDP we were flying wherever and picking the pre-booked hire car at the airport, otherwise not bothering to hire until we were at destination - and nobody foreign could do that without an IDP.

Please yourselves - but weigh up the pros and cons before deciding, I should.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes but after the 29th & with a no deal they will not be legally able to 'recognise ' them

I understand that but what I am saying is that the European model licence does not rely upon translation for it to be understood by all Members. The requirement for a traslation is superfluous.
pre 29th = I can read them
Post 29th with no deal = I cannot read them. If I wish to be pedantic.

Most countries have a designated authority for issuing them. They are issued in the country your licence was issued so you would need to get yours in Greece
Here it is the DGT , Dirección General de Trafíco . Equivalent to the UK DVLA:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Here it is the DGT , Dirección General de Trafíco . Equivalent to the UK DVLA:

It's a pity the DVLA are not the authorised body then I could get an IDP by post.

How come Post Office Counters Ltd., a private company, are authorised?

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
The government can, as I understand it, appoint its recognised body or agent

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Well as I said previously they were obtainable from both the AA and also RAC offices but I don't know if they were ever available 'from the Government' or where you'd have had to go. It was just that I (Sedge) worked in the centre of Birmingham just up New Street towards the townhall and the AA office was on the corner of where the ramp up to New St station actually met New St. Hence I could take my husband's driving licence and go and buy him one there. (I didn't drive back then)

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
And don't forget, the Post Office carry out many other tax gathering functions for the government e.g Vehicle Excise Duty payments and other (previously) DVLA functions

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Isn't Mr Driving Licence a Pole not wanted all over Southern Ireland as the Polish licence was never translated into Irish.

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
Has anybody else noticed that the 1949 IDP for Spain only covers C, so if your motorhome is over 3500kg then the 1949 IDP doesnt cover you for C1 in Spain, not sure what HGV alternatives there are.

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
Got that wrong C on the 1949 IDP includes C1, its different to the 1968 IDP, sorry about that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back