Double skillets... Are they really that good? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I've seen lots of reviews about the double skillet and most say very good things about them.

It seems to me though that the system is just two aluminium nonstick pans with removable handles. And, at over £44 a set, quite expensive.

Are they really as good as people say and if so, how much better are they than two cheaper nonstick saucepans stacked on top of each other or one inverted to form an oven with the gas on low and diffused?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
They are more than just simple frying pans - they are more like deep straight sided saute pans which are designed so that they securely invert on top of each other, something you'd have difficulty with when using 2 matching frying pans, although you might get away with one slightly smaller than the other so it sits inside the rim. For some recipes you need to turn them over which wouldn't be easy with 2 separate pans that don't lock together. If you are wanting to 'stack' them so you cook something in the bottom and top pans separately then obviously that's something you can't easily do with normal frying pans.

I have the original versions so can't say how the quality of the newer ones compare but they are well made and do the job as intended.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
With no oven in a van and after eating your first warmed croissant, you wouldn't ask that question :).
+1, although purchased primarily for croissants, ours are also used a lot for warming home cooked pies

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We were gifted an original set and found them very useful as well as taking up a lot less room than a frying pan. With a lot of use, although still serviceable, the non-stick round the rims started to deteriorate and Bren just happened to spot an advert for replacements so she ordered them. Not had a lot of use at the moment but seem to be equally good quality and we've now ditched the large frypan we used to carry.

Agree they are relatively expensive but so versatile they replace other pots and pans.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
With no oven in a van and after eating your first warmed croissant, you wouldn't ask that question :).
Would you get the same result with two saucepans used in same way?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Would you get the same result with two saucepans used in same way?

The DS and a diffuser does make a useful oven The way the pans lock together so you can turn them losing the hot spot makes it easier than messing with regular pans, but yes of course you could use just a diffuser, one saucepan and a lid to good effect too.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I know nothing about these DS things. Where is there a good description of them, illustrations and dimensions and uses please? Are they available in different sizes?

Geoff

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Mainly use our Double Skillet for casseroles but useful for warming up left-over pizza etc. Used ours for over 10 years and just bought a replacement as original was losing it's non-stick surface.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We have one of the originals ,must be forty years old. How's that for value for money?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Another vote for the double skillet pans!

Great for cooking frozen chips - quick and easy. ;)(y)

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
Its worth keeping a look out on gumtree/eBay/preloved/Spock, I found an unused original large one on eBay fairly recently :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
None anymore! 😭
Exp
From 2013
We have a set from 1st van, now in our place in Spain.

Just bought another set for new van in uk, ebay seconds (from DS Co) for £30, pans v good but handles not as good as original set....

Still our most used cooking appliance 👍

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
The new version DS are very good, well worth the money for economy of storage space (both pans, lid and handles neatly fit into each other, and therefore into one small box) so take up little van storage space. Used as an oven they are almost its equal, you also have the use as a frypan, with the second pan being useful as a normal saucepan which you can also use on the second burner, they also come with a glass lid. Maybe the recipe book could be better. But when you think how much that storage space has cost you in the cost of the van, and the fact you could also go without an oven, what's £44?

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We have a set from 1st van, now in our place in Spain.

Just bought another set for new van in uk, ebay seconds (from DS Co) for £30, pans v good but handles not as good as original set....

Still our most used cooking appliance 👍
Maybe the handles were not replaced, the first batch did have a problem but the manufacturer replaced them FOC. If these were seconds, that could be it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Or chocolate chip brioche!

😋

We have one of the originals ,must be forty years old. How's that for value for money?
I find that they don't last that long ... it really depends on how many times you hit your other half with them! :giggle:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Exception to the rule - bought an original DS at the P'Boro show.
Wasn't anything special or even particularly useful - so got rid.
Mind you, I can't see what all the fuss is about a Ramoska.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Exception to the rule - bought an original DS at the P'Boro show.
Wasn't anything special or even particularly useful - so got rid.
Mind you, I can't see what all the fuss is about a Ramoska.
So glad we areall different, had a lovelyroast chicken and veg done in my large remoska yestersay, all ready in 55 minutes. My electric oven would have taken 20 minutes to get to temperature, roasties wouldhave been a bir crisper but that is all. Usually take chicken out to rest an any juices then crisp up the spuds but couldn't be bothered yesterday.
My DS went with my romahome to my son, was subsequently stolen from their narrowboat storage.
Just bought a new remoska, we use ours several times a week at home, quicker and cheaper than our oven, just got some ingenio pans too been looking for them at a bargain price for years.
Will we miss the full cooker we hadin the last 2 vans, will need to wait and see, will we ever use the fitted microwave for anything other than storage ditto
Back to OP if we didn't have some of the gadgets we already have, would be up for another, in fact may still be due to the using it on gas feature.

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
I felt the same about the price! I was lucky enough to buy secondhand DS from a Funster. After about five years of use I’d buy new if I had to. I tried hard to find something similar and cheaper and failed. It’s our main van cooking tool. We don’t have an oven - don’t miss one. We are very often not on hook up so remoska would be wasted

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
One easy double skillet recipe is Parmentier Potatoes. Chop taters into small 20mm or so cubes/shapes, add rosemary or your choice of spices, a tbs or so of oil into lower pan, heat, drop taters into pans in oven mode, cook till nice and roasty. About 30-40 mins. You can add meat such a pork slices, chicken or whatever, at the same time. Sometimes I use a trivet and put meat on top, or cover meat in foil and put at side of potatoes, so you can turn things. Keep burner flame fairly low. The taters can be a bit wet, so you can take off top pan to dry and crisp the potatoes towards the end. Any version is tasty and quick. Plus you can vary things.

You can buy Parmentier ready prepared and flavoured from Tesco, Lidl etc.

Didn't use my Remoska because we are not often on hook up.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We wanted one and had real problems sourcing one. And then we were given one by an old (in every sense of the word) friend who'd had one for 30 plus years camping. Although no longer non-stick, it works well and we'd not be without it.
Haven't yet used it to warm croissants as Jim has posted but looking forward to trying it out. SWMBO makes lovely toasted cheese sandwiches with it.
We do have an oven in the van but mostly use it to store pasta, rice, coffee etc.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Although most vans have limited storage space, cooks can require a whole bunch of saucepans. The DS is a frying pan, a saucepan and an oven. The lady who first patented it and demonstrated it at Motorhome Shows for many years before retiring almost always cooked a whole chicken and a wide variety of other dishes. We cook Pizzas in ours after cutting them to fit and throwing the cut bits inside to cook.

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
since 2006
I bought an original large pan (she had sold out of small) at the Peterborough show over 10 years ago and as i had a PVC then a Hymer with no oven got good use out of it . Now going back to a coach built with an oven and 4 hobs i still used the Skillet but found the large one took a lot of room up on the hob so bit the bullet and bought the smaller one. The old one( which is still in perfect condition) i have given to my daughter and she says its the best pan she has had. The new ones are good quality and fits perfectly on the hob but as someone mentioned in an earlier post the handles do not seem as sturdy. As well as warming Croissants they make a great toastie :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back