Don Quixote, by bike not Donkey 🇪🇦 (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
This is what we’re trying to decide - full power electric but heavier bikes vs half power but lighter.
Maybe I should start a new thread but really interested in your views.
My views are very conditional....let's have a go..
Both Judith and I physically fit...except I have knee problems.. I'm 71...Judith is a wee bit behind me.
We both ride fairly challenging terrain here in Spain...the full suspension bikes 23kg Carbon
have to get us up, the ride down is free.A typical ride is 35km 800 metres of climb.
We also have eGravel bikes...we use them to tour, ride tracks and roads...15kg...rider has a good workout...just done the 300km route on them.
My honest opinion is that a hardtail with a 650 or 720 battery would have done the job effortlessly....we had to work hard in places...we were both carrying rear bags too.
Hope this helps...If you start another thread you may invite replies which may not be relevant to your request...
Once you decide what bike. You then need to decide how to charge it off grid...🤔👍🇪🇦

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
This is what we’re trying to decide - full power electric but heavier bikes vs half power but lighter.
Maybe I should start a new thread but really interested in your views.
I’ve recently bought a Spanish eMTB that might fit the bill. It’s an Orbea Urrun 30 and it has transformed my whole attitude to cycling. It’s a hard-tail, not too heavy at 19kg (but more so now I’ve added racks, etc). There’s a long range battery integrated into the frame and the motor (crank drive) is set to give you power when you need it. It’s a clever setup unlike my other e-bikes; the more effort you put in, the more assistance you get. Sounds weird but it really works. I’ve done miles on it on all terrains since it arrived and am utterly delighted with it. The construction is actually a joy to look at - seamless invisible welds and it looks graceful, unlike some I considered. Thoroughly recommend.

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Thanks jumar and ManTheVan - were not away till July now so time for some serios thinking
Well you know what we do, how we do it, how fit and adventurous we are....if you need any help in deciding which way to go send me a PM or post on here....we might be able to help you make the right decision....we have many friends that went it alone....listened to the salesman in the shop and came out with the wrong bike.... easily done to get sucked in, by price, availability or even colour....a costly event..,👍🤔🇪🇦

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Grianan it seems, according to Martin, that eventually we may have just one bike. An emtb but hardtail and not the full suspension we already have. That would then probably do away with our gravel bikes, although I really like mine becaise it fits me better than the big heavy bikes.

We can't carry four bikes, legally, so going halfway seems like a good plan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We’re going round in circles .., e-trekking bike, e-MTB (hard tail), e-gravel bike.
Fully kitted out bikes, locks, pannier racks helps as we use all these. Gut instinct is 500+ battery rather than 250. As light as possible to carry on Busbiker on PVC. But able to cope with some mud and gravel tracks with some rocky sections. Our favourite little track in Torridon has some pretty rocky parts and some (usually wet) grass. But we also do a lot of road work and wouldn’t want to overstate our desire for adventure!

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Quick update - OH has his new bike. I really appreciate all the advice as it made us think through what we are really likely to do. He went for a Kalkhoff Entice 3b Advance which is the same brand as his non-electric bike - hard tail with some off-road capability. It’ll let us see how we get on for a couple of years.
EFE43EBF-BE1D-4E63-8E5C-40C99CB176EA.jpeg

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Good choice I think. Kalkhoff are all over Holland and they know their bikes, and don’t have crappy stuff.
8620A677-BBB4-4899-9384-A801A7D951A1.jpeg

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Quick update - OH has his new bike. I really appreciate all the advice as it made us think through what we are really likely to do. He went for a Kalkhoff Entice 3b Advance which is the same brand as his non-electric bike - hard tail with some off-road capability. It’ll let us see how we get on for a couple of years.View attachment 745111

That looks like a good bike to do whatever you want (within reason and the ability of us mere mortals!) I hope OH enjoys it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back