LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Our rescue Welshie is pushing on 14 years and if it ends with tis (along with other things) he's got it arthritis, discospondylitis, pancreatitis, etc, along with going blind and deaf.

He's one of the key reasons why we got the caravan before coming to our senses and getting the motorhome.

Given his ailments he now can't jump into the motorhome but we're still looking to travel with him for the time we've got left so wondering if any other Funsters have got a ramp for either their infirm, or even, tiny tot dog to get them in and out of the motorhome and how have you found this?

Charlie awaits your usual Funster expertise.

1717254700839.png

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Aahh, bless you Charlie. Could you borrow one first to see if he likes it. We bought one for our elderly dog and it terrified him. He was a big dog though.

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I know we overfeed him (well we don't really but that would ruin my response) but 400kg capacity might just be slightly excessive.

Oh, just realised you said I could use it too so we may be onto something here as long as I could have one foot on each one! :whistle2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
He’s adorable 🥰

I had Welshies for many years before downsizing to Cockers 🤭
We'd love another given his temperament and loyalty but it's a bit of a minefield out there in the dog breeding world as can be seen by Otter Spotter's thread on a breeder. If we could find one ...............

We'd also be really torn between getting a new one and a second-hand one from Dogs Trust again!:giggle:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
Our Cairn Terrorist is also called Charlie and is also 14 and and has similar old age ailments, the one medication that has helped with his joint pain is Metacam, it's made a big difference. I can't advise on a ramp as I can easily pick Charlie up.

Charlie.jpg

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Are you handy at diy, our daughter’s partner who is a joiner made a ramp for her golden retriever to get in their tent box. He’s put a few hinges on it so it folds down quite small, you would only need one a couple of feet long to make the slope gradual. He used some ply and battens, he then varnished it and sprinkled sand while varnish was wet and this acts as gripper. It works a treat and cost next to nothing.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We'd love another given his temperament and loyalty but it's a bit of a minefield out there in the dog breeding world as can be seen by Otter Spotter's thread on a breeder. If we could find one ...............

We'd also be really torn between getting a new one and a second-hand one from Dogs Trust again!:giggle:
This is who I had some of mine through…

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Our Cairn Terrorist is also called Charlie and is also 14 and and has similar old age ailments, the one medication that has helped with his joint pain is Metacam, it's made a big difference. I can't advise on a ramp as I can easily pick Charlie up.

View attachment 903819
That's one of the medications he's on along with Librela and others.

He's just on the big side to lift in given the narrowness of the hab door on our Savannah and ain't that great for your back!

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Are you handy at diy, our daughter’s partner who is a joiner made a ramp for her golden retriever to get in their tent box. He’s put a few hinges on it so it folds down quite small, you would only need one a couple of feet long to make the slope gradual. He used some ply and battens, he then varnished it and sprinkled sand while varnish was wet and this acts as gripper. It works a treat and cost next to nothing.
Great minds think alike, Gerry! (y)

Think we've got some CLS and ply kicking about and been thinking about either a deck chair type arrangement or a board with folding legs but wanted to see if any Funster has first-hand experience of bought option.

Your gonna like this thinking out of the box, though!

We've got a rear ladder on the motorhome and wondering if I could separate the fold down half and put a board on it a la those ladders you see with anti-climbs fitted. If it's easy re-attachable solves the storage problem as well.(y) Will be having a look / think when we're away next week.

edit: ps father used to be a joiner on the sites but then did his teacher training at the old Dumfries College just next to the old swimming pool. He'd be teaching evening classes whilst I was in the swimming pool diving off the high board at 7-8 year old! You could get me even up the ladders now!

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Great minds think alike, Gerry! (y)

Think we've got some CLS and ply kicking about and been thinking about either a deck chair type arrangement or a board with folding legs but wanted to see if any Funster has first-hand experience of bought option.

Your gonna like this thinking out of the box, though!

We've got a rear ladder on the motorhome and wondering if I could separate the fold down half and put a board on it a la those ladders you see with anti-climbs fitted. If it's easy re-attachable solves the storage problem as well.(y) Will be having a look / think when we're away next week.

edit: ps father used to be a joiner on the sites but then did his teacher training at the old Dumfries College just next to the old swimming pool. He'd be teaching evening classes whilst I was in the swimming pool diving off the high board at 7-8 year old! You could get me even up the ladders now!
Old College would have been on George st, the building is still there however I’m not sure it’s used for anything, it was an arts school for a wee while. The swimming pool was demolished about 15 years ago to make way for a far more inferior one costing millions 😂

Dec 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2000
We had a Welshie several years ago, they are so wonderful. I lifted her when she couldn’t manage the step, but I was much younger then! Hope you find what you need.

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Old College would have been on George st, the building is still there however I’m not sure it’s used for anything, it was an arts school for a wee while. The swimming pool was demolished about 15 years ago to make way for a far more inferior one costing millions 😂
You could very well be right. Think my aunt / uncle owned a red sandstone terraced house just around the corner opposite a wee car park (couple of dozen cars or so) 'cause that's where I used to walk their poodle for his business!

Think he owned a car dealership / showroom (Morris?) at the end of the road and dad got his first Morris Traveller from there!

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
I empathise with you all. Our old girl turned 16 today and is familiar with all those meds. She is a miniature f1 labradude. She is 21kg and on days when she can’t manage the mega step we lift her in through the drivers side cab door. The floor is at a good height and it’s wider than the hab door.

IMG_0116.jpeg

IMG_0112.jpeg

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
You could very well be right. Think my aunt / uncle owned a red sandstone terraced house just around the corner opposite a wee car park (couple of dozen cars or so) 'cause that's where I used to walk their poodle for his business!

Think he owned a car dealership / showroom (Morris?) at the end of the road and dad got his first Morris Traveller from there!

When we came to Dumfries in the early 80s the garage at the corner that sold Austin by then was Corries, they then moved out the Glasgow rd to Newton service station.
This is the one on the corner along from College
IMG_1460.png

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
When we came to Dumfries in the early 80s the garage at the corner that sold Austin by then was Corries, they then moved out the Glasgow rd to Newton service station.
This is the one on the corner along from College
View attachment 903875
I think that was them. Corries and maybe Austin as in Austin Morris!
Wish I still had the same memory capability now!

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Well we're away in the motorhome and the auld fella is really struggling to get in and out of the hab door.

So, Charlie has requested his peeps get him a ramp sorted soonest, ie NOW!

We've ordered this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LM9IIAW?tag=mhf04-21 and it's getting delivered to site tomorrow.

Should also do us for front and back doors at home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back