Does "NCC Approved" Mean Anything To You?

Jim

Ringleader
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've had a press release sent to me about the NCC celebrating it's 85th Birthday. This organisation was set up to represent the maker's and dealers interests. And in that I'm sure that in this, it does a good job.

They do many things, but their main claim to fame is the Manufacturers Approval Scheme. It says the scheme is recognised throughout the industry and is proof of a manufacturer's commitment to the safety of its products and its customers.

ncc.png

The Badge on my Adria Twin
  • Does this badge mean anything to you?
  • Would you buy a van that is not NCC approved?
  • Is this badge something you look for when buying?

Thing is, I've written the most downloaded Motorhome Buyer's Guide in history, and I don't mention the NCC Scheme. Is this remiss of me? Should I add a few paragraphs in the next buyer's guide update?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I wouldn't look for the badge when buying and having or not having the badge would not influence me one way or another.

Having said that when we sold our van we needed a hab check from an NCC accredited business.

hja

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
I guess I knew about them in respect of caravans, but not thought of in respect of m.homes. You say you have a badge on your Adria, I don’t remember one on my Globecar, yet both European vans. I shall have to go searching!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Seen it, never knew it and probably wouldn't take notice of it unless it was pointed out. Poss another jolly boys club £££

Maybe a poll jim ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I guess I knew about them in respect of caravans, but not thought of in respect of m.homes. You say you have a badge on your Adria, I don’t remember one on my Globecar, yet both European vans. I shall have to go searching!

Maybe foreign makers think that they will sell more vans here if they are "Approved" By the NCC. However, I think the NCC has such a low profile among the buying public, that maybe these makers are wasting time and money getting approved.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I remember it and valued it in relation to caravans.

No idea it was relevant to Motorhomes.

Our first Autotrail was secondhand but had four beds but only 2 seat belts and developed a leak.

Resolved never to buy another UK coach built and NCC does not apply to foreign vans.

What does NCC add to van without?

If Autotrail is NCC approved then I doubt it adds anything and not worth a mention.

I suspect it’s a trade organisation effectively marking its own homework.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Yes, in a negative sense.

Definitely.

I’d look for its absence.

Ian

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Does this badge mean anything to you?
I recognise it as a trade body logo but don’t think it has any advantages for me as a customer.

Would you buy a van that is not NCC approved?
Yes.

Is this badge something you look for when buying?
No

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
Their meaningless and industry biased incorrect endorsement of certain leisure batteries was enough for me. Worthless bunch.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
It's a Star Trek term isn't it?
"Naval Construction Contract." Enterprise was NCC 1701.
What is my risk of meeting the Borg or Klingons?
One meets all types on one's travels, but to date I've been lucky I guess.
I wonder if an NCC-approved van would work as a sort of diplomatic passport or a Geneva Convention card?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Yes.
Yes (I think my last van wasn't 'approved', current one is but it wasn't a factor in my buying decision).
No.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I know it from buying my first van in 2012, a swift.

My 2022 Adria is NCC approved and it pleased me to see the badge on the van side when taking delivery as I knew I could get servicing done by NCC Approved workshop, not having to go back to an Adria dealer to maintain the warranty, unlike my swift. They advertise this on Adria’s website which I found when researching and probably felt a little reassured about the quality.

On the Swift I used them to look at reviews for NCC approved leisure batteries before buying one.

I think the dealers may try to mislead customers a bit such as saying this aspect of their service, and charge, is NCC recommended when on closer examination it is just an NCC Approved product that is used, e.g CO2 testing with gas rather than push testing.

I think I’d rather have it than not but it wouldn’t be a deciding factor for me if buying EU van

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I suppose if they had a chance to explain what they do then maybe they could be used as some sort of leverage against the raft of poor dealers and manufacturers we keep hearing about

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Are they the lot that say British van's 12 volt electrics need to switch off once you turn your ignition on ?
No, Adria have their vans approved and have none of that malarkey.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005
To my mind it is the reason caravans and motorhomes are shoddy despite the price charged and the apathy of dealers and manufacturers using common poor quality parts, often thrown together in circuses masquerading as manufacturing facilities.

From a bygone era when monied people would regularly, almost annually, order the latest greatest caravan in time for their pre booked holibobs and spiv like dealers knowing they had repeat business would take advantage knowing full well there would be likely not a claim on any warranty. Then sell onto the next level of non first time buyers who couldn't afford new, to make a few more bob and ignore their valid concerns as the warranty was only for the first time buyer.

Unfortunately as no one challenged the poor quality and lack of service later buyers reap the rewards, and decades on quality declines.

Bit like the early days of BS5750 (in modern parlance ISO900XXX, or wot ever), held as a beacon of quality, but actually meant there was a system (tickbox) that said today we produce carp, tomorrow we produce carp, but don't worry as we have a certificate.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
I don't think anyone has actually mentioned what NCC stands for.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
It was a NCC registered business who trashed my van , total cowboy

He gave me the money back less the parts he claimed to have used

Not because he was a decent business but because he made the mistake telling me he could do without this hsssle as the inspector/assessor was due to visit

My response was great can't wait to meet them

He paid me just to get rid of me NCC like not worth the stickers on the window

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I suppose if they had a chance to explain what they do then maybe they could be used as some sort of leverage against the raft of poor dealers and manufacturers we keep hearing about

They exist because of the subscriptions from those dealers and manufacturers. So I doubt they will want to use any kind of lever against them.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
They exist because of the subscriptions from those dealers and manufacturers. So I doubt they will want to lever against them.
I'm with you on that much like NHBC for new build houses the only way they survive is by taking g money from those they are supposed to police

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I've never heard of them, I don't think salespeople rate them because I never been told about them when buying.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
I've had a press release sent to me about the NCC celebrating it's 85th Birthday. This organisation was set up to represent the maker's and dealers interests. And in that I'm sure that in this, it does a good job.

They do many things, but their main claim to fame is the Manufacturers Approval Scheme. It says the scheme is recognised throughout the industry and is proof of a manufacturer's commitment to the safety of its products and its customers.

View attachment 967959
The Badge on my Adria Twin
  • Does this badge mean anything to you?
Never heard of them until I found their sticker (which I removed) on the van we bought in March. Having had 5 vans previously (imprts from Germany) that were not NCC approved, it means nothing to me (ohhhh Vienna)
  • Would you buy a van that is not NCC approved?
Yes
  • Is this badge something you look for when buying?
No
Thing is, I've written the most downloaded Motorhome Buyer's Guide in history, and I don't mention the NCC Scheme. Is this remiss of me? Should I add a few paragraphs in the next buyer's guide update?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back