Does low use of Lithium harm the battery in any way?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
Fed up of always worrying about power in my first two vans I installed a 230ah underseat lithium battery and a btob along with a battery master to maintain hab battery when not being used, no solar required. Everything works really well, the only potential problem is that I have never seen the lithium drop below 70%, although its a long time since the novelty wore off and I rarely look at the app now. I usually do not stay more than one night and the btob recharges on the subsequent drive. I would say 60% of the time I am off grid, however, if there is a site near by or a CCP then I happily use them, once again no battery draw as I use their leccy if included. I don't in any way regret fitting lithium as it has taken all worry about hab power away, I am worried that it may be harming the battery.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
No they will happily sit at 70 so leave em there when not in use. No need to leave them sat fully charged they arent fans of that

Or you could always leave a.low draw on in the van to drain them down every now and then and give them a full charge.
I leave mine on alow draw and rely on my solar t9 keepnthem topped over winter as and when needed

OP
OP
D
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
No they will happily sit at 70 so leave em there when not in use. No need to leave them sat fully charged they arent fans of that

Or you could always leave a.low draw on in the van to drain them down every now and then and give them a full charge.
I leave mine on alow draw and rely on my solar t9 keepnthem topped over winter as and when needed
Thanks, glad I checked in

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019

This is an interesting thread. We are first-time lihtuim on our present MH. A factory fitted "Smart" battery system at a total of 345ah. I wondered if leaving that leaving it on EHU whilst in storage to protect the engine battery (and so the 12v oukd beleft on as i have set a 10⁰ minimum on the heating) would affect the performance of the smart system. Speaking to Hymer's technical department, they responded saying the leaving it on an EHU in storage would do no harm to the system. I assume the charging element of the PSU cuts out when at 100% and the fact that it is on an EHU bypasses any draw on the smart system.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Lead-acid-based batteries (flooded, gel, AGM etc) need to be charged to 100% at least every few weeks to avoid deterioration due to sulfation. Lithium batteries just do not have that problem.They can be stored at 50% for literally years with no deterioration. They don't like overcharging, so make sure you have a charger with a lithium profile, preferably one that won't charge them if the temperature is below zero.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Can any damage be done to a lithium if you leave them charged at 100% for long periods between trips?

I sometimes leave my compressor fridge on all the time on the drive without hook up, but even then it rarely goes below 80% depending on the sun.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
On our EV they recommended a low power charge to 100% once a month but at a time when it's going to be discharged to 80%or below the next day and discharged every 6 months to 10% ish . It could be the chemistry of our cells is different to lithium leisure batteries.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
Can any damage be done to a lithium if you leave them charged at 100% for long periods between trips?

I sometimes leave my compressor fridge on all the time on the drive without hook up, but even then it rarely goes below 80% depending on the sun.
Most lithium battery manufacturers recommend long term storage at somewhere between 40-70% to maximise life span.
Storing at 100% SOC is the electronic equivalent of keeping a metal spring fully compressed while not in service.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
On our EV they recommended a low power charge to 100% once a month but at a time when it's going to be discharged to 80%or below the next day and discharged every 6 months to 10% ish . It could be the chemistry of our cells is different to lithium leisure batteries.
Forgot to mention in general they recommended keeping the battery between 80%and 20%

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back